high power 6mm

OK thanks. I'll give them a holler. I'd build one myself but I need it fairly soon and I don't want to rush it. I'm using a savage action so I may talk to sharpshooter supply as well.

~WS

If you're willing to send enough down range you can kill a Prairie Dog at 1500 with about anything. Adobe Wells? There comes a point that you are just burning powder and barrels. A.243AI or a .243SLR will do the trick with a high BC bullet.

There is skill involved in that as well. I'm not using a sharps rifle with iron sights. I have quite a bit of scope time under my belt. It's all about matching a reload to a rifle and making the proper calculations.

~WS

Savage 12 .223, 26" factory varmint barrel. Blue printed the action myself and did some trigger work to it. Also cut 1/2 in off the breach and cleaned up the chamber the re crowned it. Load was a 60gr CEB Raptor bullet, 25.6g of R15 and Lapua brass. Chrono was about 3150 fps. Not really any wind to speak of. Also I was shooting about 15 degrees downward.

~WS

Savage 12 .223, 26" factory varmint barrel. Blue printed the action myself and did some trigger work to it. Also cut 1/2 in off the breach and cleaned up the chamber the re crowned it. Load was a 60gr CEB Raptor bullet, 25.6g of R15 and Lapua brass. Chrono was about 3150 fps. Not really any wind to speak of. Also I was shooting about 15 degrees downward.

~WS

A 22 cal, 60 grain bullet at 3150 fps & 1024 yds?.....and it stays subsonic past 800 yds? ehhhhhhh

Is a 32" barrel too long for 6-284 or while I still gain speed from the extra length?

~WS
There's probably a formula or chart out there somewhere but with this size case and the powders used I would think the velocity peak would proabably not exceed 30".

Go back and read that article I gave you on the 6mm AI and read up on the builds he is doing. There are links to his site there you can follow.

That should give you some very good guidance.

Another option is 6-06, I currently have a his and hers. I neck down Lapua brass and am getting 3500 plus with Berger 105's. Hers uses 95 Berger's. The 6-06 has no feeding problems if you need a second shoot. Barrel life is ok if you don't get it hot. 1500 yard shoots are doable. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.