high power 6mm

Then go with a 6-284. The hotter stuff you would be lucky to get 4-500 rounds before it's done.
Yep and it will take a high quality barrel to last that long.

I'd also suggest sending it off to have it melonited as soon as it's broken in and properly cleaned according to the barrel mfg's recommendations.

If he can avoid shooting it hot doing the above will extend the barrel's life significantly.

I haven't looked into the 6mm Dasher much. My goal is a 1500 yard prairie dog kill.

~WS
Not a realistic goal with a 6mm No matter how much powder you put behind it. The bullets available simply don't have a BC high enough.

Is it possible? Yes but it's probably less than a million to one chance of getting it done.

You'd be lucky to get that kind of precision with a .338 and the highest BC bullets available for it.

I've cold bore killed prairie dogs at 1024 yrds with a 223. Didn't know if some serious reload testing could help with that range?

~WS
Congrats. Yes it will help but you are still setting expectations above what the ballistics say is realistically possible.

A prairie dog is about 3-3.5:" wide. One MOA at 1500yds is about 15.5". I've never heard of a 6mm in any caliber delivering that kind of cold bore accuracy at 1,500yds.

That doesn't make it completely impossible but it does make the expectation unrealistic even with a bench rest rifle under ideal conditions.

I guess it's not something that I expect to be able to do, but as a gunsmithing student my goal is 1/4 moa rifles or less. My 7mm I built last year holds 1/8 moa to 350 but I've never tried it further. The 6-284 so far seems like the idea cartridge to at least get close to my unreasonable expectations haha

~WS

I guess it's not something that I expect to be able to do, but as a gunsmithing student my goal is 1/4 moa rifles or less. My 7mm I built last year holds 1/8 moa to 350 but I've never tried it further. The 6-284 so far seems like the idea cartridge to at least get close to my unreasonable expectations haha

~WS
Hey there's nothing wrong with striving for perfection as long as one is realistic about the chances of achieving same.

You'd have a much better chance of succeeding with a 6.5 or 7mm but if 6mm is what you have then that's probably the way I'd go if you want to have any kind of barrel life. If not see if you find someone who's got a reamer for a wildcat on the 6mm - 264wm or 6mm-300wm and see just how fast you can push it. I just think that at some point pushing for max speed you will most likely lose accuracy.

Building a 7mm 1/4 MOA rifle at 600yds is a completely different animal than trying to do the same in 6mm at 1,500yds. It's just a matter of what any given bullet is capable of doing and with the BC's of the 6mm's I doubt it's possible. If you are up for the challenge though I'm sure it'll be fun to see just how close you can get.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.