Help me choose a hunting bullet please

plinker31

hi guys I have been a member here for a while now I don't post much... just try to keep my mouth shut and listen and learn. I just had a 6.5 cm built with a 21" 8 twist PAC nor. I am learning how to load. I enjoy punching paper but this is a hunting gun. Animals hunted will be deer and pigs down to foxes. I don't take shoulder shots, most of my shots are neck or behind the shoulder and furr is no concern, bang flop is. Bullets I am considering are nosler 140 ballistic tip or accubond, sierra hpbt game king 130, Berger 140 vld or anything else y'all recommend. Thanks for any and all help

Doesn't sound like you are looking for long range so the noshers might be best all around but any that you mentioned would work. See what shoots and use it......Rich

Long range to me is 500 yards and I would like to be able to do that. From what I have read and learned I don't think that would be too much of a problem. I am more concerned about taking a neck shot and the bullet penciling straight through. Until now I have just payed attention what grain the bullet is not what it is designed for.

If I intended to keep all of my shots under 500 yards, I would use Nosler Ballistic Tips on everything from deer on down in size. I've taken and witnessed a lot of game taken at medium distance with ballistic tips and they work great.

I'll sell you a box of our bullets and if you don't like them for any reason we will refund your money. They are super accurate and very easy to load. Terminal performance is very good and if you need to shoulder shoot a pig it won't be a problem. They will fully function without bone hit as well.

Let me know if we can help.

Steve

Thanks for all of the replies. Steve what are the bullets you sell... sorry for my ignorance
We produce pure copper lathe turned bullets. Most of our line is designed specifically for hunting because we are hunters and it is where our heart is. Click the link in my signature and you can look at the website. I am a little behind on some of the product pics. In fact we just finished a new one yesterday in the .375 cal. It is a really sexy bullet for 10" twist or faster and came in at 370g. Pretty long so will probably not mag feed in many of the 375's.

Steve

hi guys I have been a member here for a while now I don't post much... just try to keep my mouth shut and listen and learn. I just had a 6.5 cm built with a 21" 8 twist PAC nor. I am learning how to load. I enjoy punching paper but this is a hunting gun. Animals hunted will be deer and pigs down to foxes. I don't take shoulder shots, most of my shots are neck or behind the shoulder and furr is no concern, bang flop is. Bullets I am considering are nosler 140 ballistic tip or accubond, sierra hpbt game king 130, Berger 140 vld or anything else y'all recommend. Thanks for any and all help

You don't take shoulder shots? Is that for meat preservation purposes? If so, the monolithics are the way to go, especially if you'll be shooting 500 yards and in. I use Barnes in many of my hunting rifles (168 TTSX in 30-06, 225 TSX in 358 Win and 35 Whelen, 100 TTSX in 250 Sav, 110 Tac-TTSX in 300 BLK) and they work exceptionally and don't damage much meat at all. The 127 grain LRX would probably suit you well. I also like the Cutting Edge Bullets MTH. I shoot the 6.5mm 130 grain MTH in my long range rig (260 A.I.) and they have many 6.5 options as well. I have been wanting to try Hammer bullets as well. Never tried them yet but have heard nothing but good things on here. One thing to note is the longer heavier monos won't stabilize in your 8 twist (i.e. the 140 grain MTH and 137 grain Hammer), but at the distances you're shooting you won't be giving anything up going lighter.

PS: Let's see this gun!

maybe my phone doesn't show all the features on this site because there is nothing on his post about hammer bullets. I did figure it out in another thread. Thanks for your help

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts