Help me choose a Hammer bullet

I have mostly loaded 308 Win so I'm usually trying to squeeze more distance out of my round which may not be necessary with a 280 AI.
  1. First thing I do it eliminate bullets that require a faster twist than my barrel has.
  2. Then, I look at the loads people have reported to get an idea of velocity potential: Absolute hammer data here, Hammer hunter data here. This also gives you an idea of popularity which while it isn't everything does mean something.
  3. Then I put the numbers into a ballistic calculator like shooterscalculator.com to see where the bullets max out for distance meaning having at least 1800 fps velocity (a firm requirement). Note that the 280 AI and 7mm SAUM are nearly ballistic twins so you can use those velocities for an estimate of the 155 HH velocities you can expect.
  4. At that point, I typically am most interested in the bullets with a healthy amount of energy left at my max distance.
For 308 Win, this shakes out to be the bullets in the range from the 150 Power Hammer to the 166 Hammer Hunter.

For a 280 AI with a 1:8 twist barrel, for me and my tastes, that puts it between the 143 and 155 Hammer Hunters (without the faster twist the latter would be a no-go). There is a lot of 280 AI examples for the 143 and none for the 155. The 155 might not have as much data because of the faster twist requirements but it might also be a bit long for the 280 AI case design (no actual data, only speculation). If I were hunting mostly elk I'd personally probably try the 155 HH, or at least poke around to see if anybody else had which would include asking Steve who's ultra helpful, but the 143 should be plenty good and would be the safer bet of the two if you're not interested in playing around.

Someone else may have a completely different process, and that's cool too.

Because of their reputation and I like the way they are designed to shed petals similar to how a Partition works. Makes sense to me.
Copy that, thank you for the feedback. I'd be curious to know what kind of results you will be getting once your load development is finalized, especially curious how the terminal ballistics will work out for you. I am also in the process of doing load development for my 280 (not an AI but with a long COL as Jam is at 3.438") using 166 Gr. A-tips. Good luck with your load development and happy hunting!

If elk are your main quarry, run the heaviest bullet you can that'll still get you to 1800 at your planned max range. Play with some slower powders and loads, also maybe try some heavier bullets that are not hammers. Your goal is accuracy, and terminal performance, not necessarily married to a boutique bullet. If your goal is to get you there with a hammer, still play with the heavier bullets, sometimes you get a 200-fps surprise with a component or powder change.

@SuperBruce above has it pretty well nailed.
If you need more info, go to Hammer Hunter Load Data or Absolute Hammer Load Data on this Forum. This will show you velocities people are obtaining. If you want more info yet, go to the Hammertime Forum and look under Reloading. There is a good article on how to select a Hammer Bullet.
GL

I used the 130 and 140 Grain Absolute hammers in my 280 AI's - I have 3 of them. Although I was skeptical of the velocity claims, I can testify that an added velocity of 200 to 250 FPS using these bullets is easily achieved. That said, my best accuracy loads are about 100 FPS under max. With 24" pipes, the 130's are getting 3400 FPS and the 140's are getting 3300 FPS with spectacular terminal performance.

I used the 130 and 140 Grain Absolute hammers in my 280 AI's - I have 3 of them. Although I was skeptical of the velocity claims, I can testify that an added velocity of 200 to 250 FPS using these bullets is easily achieved. That said, my best accuracy loads are about 100 FPS under max. With 24" pipes, the 130's are getting 3400 FPS and the 140's are getting 3300 FPS with spectacular terminal performance.
What's your recipes for your loads?

This has been a great read! I'm currently building a 280ai on a Defiance action so as soon as it gets here and I get it out together I can wait to start load development. I was too looking at the 143HH for mine. I have a Bergara .308 that absolutely loves the 166HH

I shoot the 143HH in a 7WSM - 8.5 twist, which has similar case capacity. I can get 3,300 fps with RE26 in a 25" Broughton bbl. That should be a rather formidable load for elk hunting, even though I think elk "deserve" a 30 cal mag. :)
I would disagree with that statement Varmint Hunter. I've taken 25 Large Roosevelt bulls ans several Of the Rocky Mtn variety. None have ever talked back to my 7 Rem Mag. After guiding for 40 years I have to say I saw more 1 shot kills on bulls with the standard 270 Win and 130 gr partition bullets. Second would have been pretty much a tie with the 7mm Rem Mag and the 300 Win mag. Just my .02 for what it's worth.

Helpful thread, Ive got a better idea on estimating muzzle velocities and playing around in a ballistics calculator I'm really impressed with terminal ballistics of the Hammers in this caliber.

It seems like many favor the lighter 143 Hammer Hunter, but after checking out estimates for the 140 Absolute Hammer I'm really interested in learning what it takes differently to develop a handload with the Absolutes? Would IMR4831 or Ramshot Magnum be a good powder to use with the Absolutes?

Not to jump in on the OP's post. But I too am working up a load with the .280AI and 140 grain Absolute Hammers. I'm about to shoot my first ladder using H4350 starting at 57 and work up to 60 to see if there is promise. So my question is, what powders and charges are you guys using with the 140 AH's? I've had good luck with H4831, RL23, and RL26 pushing other bullets. But because the AH's don't line up with standard data, just trying to get some help from guys that have worked up loads with them. When I reached out to Hammer, he said that he like RL17, and that I should find standard 140 load data and start at max charge and work up. He also stated that whatever powder I choose, to make sure there is case capacity to keep putting more in. H4350 was the only powder on hand that is comparable burn rate that I have an abundance of so decided to give it a whirl. Please let me know your thoughts.

H4350 and h4831sc worked for me on AH's. Also to the OP one of the many great things about hammer is that when you call hammer to ask about data or really any general advice on a bullet…you usually get the owner steve who will take time to really talk to you. Try it out, he has a wealth of info and all you have to do is ask. Imagine that getting a real person on the phone when you call a company! Thanks Steve. It means a lot.

Recent Posts