Help me choose a Hammer bullet

The replies have been excellent and helping me narrow down. It seems like everyone favors the lighter 140/143g Hammers over the heavies.
Ive overlooked the Absolute Hammers because I'm still fairly new to reloading. I have the basics down though, but I'm cautious when Hammer says its for experienced reloaders only. I'm comfortable working with little or no load data, (as I did with a Hammer in my lever gun this year and was fine..). If all other things are equal, is the only difference between the Absolutes and the Hunters is additional velocity?

For reference, I have a lot of IMR4831 and Ramshot Magnum, but only 1lb of R23.

I would choose based on your maximum desired range. Basically the way I did it was decided I didn't want to shoot past 600 yards on animals. So I said ok I need to get to 600 yards with the minimum 1800fps velocity to expand a hammer. Then I looked at the expected velocity for the cartridge I was using and picked the lightest bullet I could to keep BC high enough to get there.

For example in my 7-08ai I thought I could reasonably get a 140gr absolute hammer to 2900-2950 fps so I ran those numbers in My ballistics calculator and came up with 1800fps past 600 yards. But the 130s at 3100 were a little closer to 1800 fps impact velocity than I wanted to I opted to start a 140gr a little slower but be confident at 600 yards with better retained velocity and wind drift. FWIW I drive those 140gr absolutes over 3k.
What powder did you settle on?

How do you select which bullet weight to use for hunting?

I will be handloading for a new 280AI for elk hunting, 8 twist 26in bbl and want to use a Hammer Hunter. I'm looking thru the various weights they offer and kinda stalled out on picking the heaviest hitting or choosing a lighter flatter weight, or maybe just stay in the middle for an all around compromise. Does it really even matter?
I have the basics down but I'm still somewhat new to handloading and have never owned a 280 before. I'm playing around in a ballistic calculator but don't really have a metric to judge a starting velocity for each weight.
Hammer Hunters: 143, 146, 155, 169, 177gr.

Would just like to hear everyones random advice on what metrics do you use to select a hunting bullet?
I had a 280AI put together by E. R. Shaw a couple of years ago 700 Rem action 25" 8 twist barrel. 143 Hammer Hunter, 210M primers and IMR4451 powder .050 jump. Max load for "my" rifle is 55.5 grains at about 3000 fps. Solid sub 1/2" shooter.
The key with Hammer bullets is the twist rate of your barrel so pay attention to what Hammer recommends regarding the maximum weight you use.
Didn't have an opportunity to take an Elk a year ago but felt absolutely confident that the 143HH would have handled it easily.

I use ignorant prejudice. I like the looks of the Hammer Hunter 131. Therefore those are the ones I fire in my 7-.338RUM. I use Retumbo to get 3,680 feet per second. Five shot groups at 300 yards run 2 1/8" - 2 5/16".

So far I fired one shot while hunting. It took out the heart of a doe 300 yards away.

Interesting cartridge indeed. What velocity are you getting with the 131H bullets?

You might consider calling Steve @HammerBullets They have been so helpful for me.

With mono bullet selection, just in general you can go on the light & fast side for caliber. With hammers in general you are better off running light & fast so long as it shoots accurately out of YOUR setup. Really the only reason to go heavier is higher bc, and with hammers specifically, the speed kills better inside 600. I was about to start load development in my 7 saum and called Steve first. I was surprised to find out that the 143 hammer hunter is his favorite bullet in the whole line. So I'm starting there and if I need to I'll jump up to the 155 hammer.

As for combo's that you may consider. H4831sc, H4350, RL23, N560 may all be worth considering I would guess! Good luck man 🤙🏽

The replies have been excellent and helping me narrow down. It seems like everyone favors the lighter 140/143g Hammers over the heavies.
Ive overlooked the Absolute Hammers because I'm still fairly new to reloading. I have the basics down though, but I'm cautious when Hammer says its for experienced reloaders only. I'm comfortable working with little or no load data, (as I did with a Hammer in my lever gun this year and was fine..). If all other things are equal, is the only difference between the Absolutes and the Hunters is additional velocity?

Koda, just curious why are you leaning towards Hammer bullets?

I worked up the 177g HH in my 28 Nosler, specifically for a LE bull elk tag. I got it up to 3200+ fps, but backed off to 3150 where it shoots one ragged hole at 100 out of a 26" proof barrel (1:8 twist). It performed flawlessly on my big bull, and it has also taken antelope, deer and even a bighorn sheep with perfect results.
Like others are suggesting, if I were doing it over again, I'd drop to a little lighter bullet, even for elk. Regardless, I am confident you will like how they Hammer!

How do you select which bullet weight to use for hunting?

I will be handloading for a new 280AI for elk hunting, 8 twist 26in bbl and want to use a Hammer Hunter. I'm looking thru the various weights they offer and kinda stalled out on picking the heaviest hitting or choosing a lighter flatter weight, or maybe just stay in the middle for an all around compromise. Does it really even matter?
I have the basics down but I'm still somewhat new to handloading and have never owned a 280 before. I'm playing around in a ballistic calculator but don't really have a metric to judge a starting velocity for each weight.
Hammer Hunters: 143, 146, 155, 169, 177gr.

Would just like to hear everyones random advice on what metrics do you use to select a hunting bullet?

Do you have some estimated velocities for the bullet weights of the bullets you are asking about? Knowing muzzle velocities would be helpful. For me when trying to match bullet for cartridge for game I take MV and bullet weight for cartridge. I like the 130gr for the .270, 165gr for the .308, the 180s for the 30-06, the 225s for the 35 Whelen, the 185s for the 7mm RemMag. I've never hunted elk, the only information I have on them is what I read on this forum and what I read in Bugle from the RMEF. I'll probably get beat up here, but…that oftentimes hasn't stopped me, maybe 600 yards is a bit of a poke for the .280AI. But….I'm thinking the 160gr shock hammer with a BC of .446 leaving the barrel @ 3000 fps ought to give you around 1848fps @ 600 yards and around 1200 foot pounds of energy. If my plan was elk out to 600 yards with the .280 Ackley I'd choose the 160gr. Shock Hammer. I believe that the .280 Ackley is one of the best Ackley cartridges out there!!! Good luck with your hunt!!

Recent Posts