Having a 6.5 decision debacle.....

If your only concern with using a standard 6.5mm cartridge (Creedmoor/260/x47/x55) is the effect on large deer (Elk/Moose) at close range, why not take a leaf out of the Scandinavian's book and use a heavy, bonded bullet, like Sako's 156gr Deerhead?

Sako's Factory ammunition for the Creedmoor goes 2674 fps at the muzzle, delivers around 1800ftlb at 200 yards (5000ft) - and I suspect will punch through just about anything.
143gr ELD-X in the magazine for shots >200 yards and you have two rifles in one!

Sable Tireur has correctly and clearly stated it. Accuracy trumps horsepower and proper bullet selection does the rest. Magnums have caused more error than they have compensated for. A bad, non lethal hit is not made better by an extra hundred grains and 1/8" of expanded diameter.
As I also do believe "accuracy trumps horsepower" in most cases, I also believe it is better to have that "extra hundred grains" when the UNEXPECTED occurs. That being said, I also believe that a shooter should be well practiced with the caliber of their choice and able to make the shot regardless of distance and caliber. I would rather be over gunned than under gunned. Just my opinion based on my experience.

I run suppressed and want a barrel length of 20-22" to keep everything reasonably portable.

I'm sure you can use other powders and do ok but your still going to be sacrificing your barrel and not really getting the speed you want so it's kind of a waste is it not? Why not just run a 26" tube and get the full potential?

Read his quote above from his first post. This is not about sacrificing but meeting the client's needs and desires. This is what he feels is best when running the rifle suppressed while hunting.

It is not a waste if all the powder is burned producing the plasma needed to push the bullet at a commensurate velocity. And with some powders you will not achieve a full burn even in 26" barrels. It's all about balance. The right powder under the right bullet achieving the proper velocity to harvest the game humanely. Proper bullet construction and proper shot placement.

I shoot a 6.5PRC suppressed, built on a 700 action. I can put 5 of 5 rounds into an orange at 600 yards.... because I practice. That said, I seriously question the ethics of the "three rounds per year" hunter attempting a 600 yards shot while experiencing typical adrenaline rush of a big elk in the sights. Just my opinion... We've lost the ability to hunt, close the distance to 200 yards and take a sure shot.

You can question my ethics all you want. I know my limitations. Before you start assuming anything about me, I probably shoot more then your average 3 shot hunter. My personal range sits out my back door with steel to 700 yards.

I am inexperienced with a 6.5, not with shooting. In the height of NRL I am loading around 300 rounds of .308 a week.

BTW, YOU probably have lost the ability to hunt, but I haven't.

Short barreled hunting rig for 600 and in... I'd say 6.5x47. I have one I cobbled together and take it out to 500 yards regularly. They shoot great, are very pleasant to shoot, super long brass life, accept a wide variety of components without complaint and are economical to load for. Efficiency and long barrel life is important because these short action 6.5's are about all your gonna want to shoot now that you've given them a whirl.

Are those five rounds on an orange at 600, fired from a cold bore in a field environment? Or a getting on the orange first, and then five rounds on the orange after that???

Caliber does not mean much.Shot placement does.My Grandfather had a brother in Canada.They did a yearly hunt for moose.Gramps big rifle was a 32/20.One shot bullets to the head was what was done.Gramps was a stalker and did not shoot until he knew he could pace the bullet where he wanted.The moral of this story is that lots of horsepower,BC ,SD really does not mean squat if you lack good hunting ability.Just about any centerfire cartridge and bullet weight will take down almost any game species if placed correctly.Huntz

6.5x55 is as proven as they get killing everything on the planet for over a century.

264 win mag is a bad butt round that never got it's due.

I like old school, so those 2 would be my choice. To heck with all these new hipster 6.5's with their expensive hard to find brass waxes and clean work boots...

6.5x55 is as proven as they get killing everything on the planet for over a century.

I like old school, so those 2 would be my choice. To heck with all these new hipster 6.5's with their expensive hard to find brass waxes and clean work boots...
I love my M96 in 6.5x55. Its just enjoyable to shoot and very accurate

I have a 300wm, which I have considered clambering in 264wm. If this 6.5 thing sticks with me I may do that.

Thanks for the recommendations

I have been sitting on the sidelines with the 6.5 cals for along time.

I have decided to build a light handy 6.5 for hunting. My dad has recently retired and I think some more hunting is in store for us. Elk, deer, antelope maybe hog. My personal ethics, skills etc put a 600 yard cap on shots conditions depending. I enjoy ringing steel further out!

I run suppressed and want a barrel length of 20-22" to keep everything reasonably portable. I reload heavily for other calibers. (.308 .300 wm, etc.) I intend to reload using a 130 to 140 class bullet ( probably 143 eldx). I dont want to have to fire form or turn necks, ain't nobody got time for that!

The way I see it I have two direction's caliber wise.

1. 6.5 creedmoor, 260 rem, 6.5 x 47. All are around the same class netting 2800 on the high side, mid 2700's more practicality.

2. 6.5 PRC, 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 6.5 X 55. These would net roughly 3000 fps, excluding the Swede, mid 2900's with barrel length.

3. 264 win mag, 26 nosler, 6.5 saum, the boutique various 6.5 Sherman's (sorry elkaholic) and similar Wildcats. Probably could break 3100-3200 but is a significant amount of overbore waste for barrel life and components used, chasing velocity on a short setup.

I ran the numbers on a 143 eldx at my altitude, 10 mph drift, energy, etc. Sorry I work in mils.

2800 fps @ 600 yards 3.5 mil / .8 / 1427lbs

3000 fps @ 600 yards 3.0 mil / .7 / 1667lbs

I didn't run anything at 3200 because I know its getting silly for the cost.

I have never shot any game with a 6.5 bullet. I like performance, but I'm trying to be practical, I cant imagine game is going to care about 200-300fps?

I really have had my eye on a PRC. But in running the numbers it doesn't seem to offer that much more. I have seriously given the 6.5 284 a thought as well as the .264 win mag. There's obviously pros and cons to both.

Component availability is a very real thing as well. 6.5 creedmoor is everywhere, cheap! With the exception of the PRC it's all out there at a cost. Perhaps in 5 years that's a different story. I dont think the PRC will go completely extinct but who knows.

I'm having a difficult time settling in on the right caliber for me and my needs. View attachment 143284 View attachment 143285
Go with the 6.5 284, its PERFECT for described needs and desires.

I have been sitting on the sidelines with the 6.5 cals for along time.

I have decided to build a light handy 6.5 for hunting. My dad has recently retired and I think some more hunting is in store for us. Elk, deer, antelope maybe hog. My personal ethics, skills etc put a 600 yard cap on shots conditions depending. I enjoy ringing steel further out!

I run suppressed and want a barrel length of 20-22" to keep everything reasonably portable. I reload heavily for other calibers. (.308 .300 wm, etc.) I intend to reload using a 130 to 140 class bullet ( probably 143 eldx). I dont want to have to fire form or turn necks, ain't nobody got time for that!

The way I see it I have two direction's caliber wise.

1. 6.5 creedmoor, 260 rem, 6.5 x 47. All are around the same class netting 2800 on the high side, mid 2700's more practicality.

2. 6.5 PRC, 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 6.5 X 55. These would net roughly 3000 fps, excluding the Swede, mid 2900's with barrel length.

3. 264 win mag, 26 nosler, 6.5 saum, the boutique various 6.5 Sherman's (sorry elkaholic) and similar Wildcats. Probably could break 3100-3200 but is a significant amount of overbore waste for barrel life and components used, chasing velocity on a short setup.

I ran the numbers on a 143 eldx at my altitude, 10 mph drift, energy, etc. Sorry I work in mils.

2800 fps @ 600 yards 3.5 mil / .8 / 1427lbs

3000 fps @ 600 yards 3.0 mil / .7 / 1667lbs

I didn't run anything at 3200 because I know its getting silly for the cost.

I have never shot any game with a 6.5 bullet. I like performance, but I'm trying to be practical, I cant imagine game is going to care about 200-300fps?

I really have had my eye on a PRC. But in running the numbers it doesn't seem to offer that much more. I have seriously given the 6.5 284 a thought as well as the .264 win mag. There's obviously pros and cons to both.

Component availability is a very real thing as well. 6.5 creedmoor is everywhere, cheap! With the exception of the PRC it's all out there at a cost. Perhaps in 5 years that's a different story. I dont think the PRC will go completely extinct but who knows.

I'm having a difficult time settling in on the right caliber for me and my needs. View attachment 143284 View attachment 143285
Go with the 6.5 284, its PERFECT for described needs and desires.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.