Having a 6.5 decision debacle.....

I'm going to get a lot of negative feedback for this but why would you under gun your self hunting elk. I'm not saying one caliber isn't capable of doing what you need. Prc seems the way to go but your going to have have a longer barrel to get the performance.

I never really shot a Creedmoor, my girlfriend (hunting partner) shoots one and hunts with it with great success. I picked up a 6.5 prc early this year ( my first 6.5 ever) and have really enjoyed it. I think the prc is going to become the next Creedmoor and there will be ammo and brass to be had. I still like a 30cal or 8mm for elk, but to each there own. Good luck on whatever you decide. I don't think there is a wrong answer.

I have been sitting on the sidelines with the 6.5 cals for along time.

I have decided to build a light handy 6.5 for hunting. My dad has recently retired and I think some more hunting is in store for us. Elk, deer, antelope maybe hog. My personal ethics, skills etc put a 600 yard cap on shots conditions depending. I enjoy ringing steel further out!

I run suppressed and want a barrel length of 20-22" to keep everything reasonably portable. I reload heavily for other calibers. (.308 .300 wm, etc.) I intend to reload using a 130 to 140 class bullet ( probably 143 eldx). I dont want to have to fire form or turn necks, ain't nobody got time for that!

The way I see it I have two direction's caliber wise.

1. 6.5 creedmoor, 260 rem, 6.5 x 47. All are around the same class netting 2800 on the high side, mid 2700's more practicality.

2. 6.5 PRC, 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 6.5 X 55. These would net roughly 3000 fps, excluding the Swede, mid 2900's with barrel length.

3. 264 win mag, 26 nosler, 6.5 saum, the boutique various 6.5 Sherman's (sorry elkaholic) and similar Wildcats. Probably could break 3100-3200 but is a significant amount of overbore waste for barrel life and components used, chasing velocity on a short setup.

I ran the numbers on a 143 eldx at my altitude, 10 mph drift, energy, etc. Sorry I work in mils.

2800 fps @ 600 yards 3.5 mil / .8 / 1427lbs

3000 fps @ 600 yards 3.0 mil / .7 / 1667lbs

I didn't run anything at 3200 because I know its getting silly for the cost.

I have never shot any game with a 6.5 bullet. I like performance, but I'm trying to be practical, I cant imagine game is going to care about 200-300fps?

I really have had my eye on a PRC. But in running the numbers it doesn't seem to offer that much more. I have seriously given the 6.5 284 a thought as well as the .264 win mag. There's obviously pros and cons to both.

Component availability is a very real thing as well. 6.5 creedmoor is everywhere, cheap! With the exception of the PRC it's all out there at a cost. Perhaps in 5 years that's a different story. I dont think the PRC will go completely extinct but who knows.

I'm having a difficult time settling in on the right caliber for me and my needs. View attachment 143284 View attachment 143285

Go with a .260 Ackley, strong enough to get 140 grains to 3K with a lighter short action and still come close to the 6.5/284 in Performance but is easier on a barrel.

I shoot a 6.5PRC suppressed, built on a 700 action. I can put 5 of 5 rounds into an orange at 600 yards.... because I practice. That said, I seriously question the ethics of the "three rounds per year" hunter attempting a 600 yards shot while experiencing typical adrenaline rush of a big elk in the sights. Just my opinion... We've lost the ability to hunt, close the distance to 200 yards and take a sure shot.
I think it is fine to limit your range to within your ability. But abilities vary. I've taken 17 bull elk with my bow mostly at 20-30 yards and one at 64 yards that is the outer limit of my abilities but I practice out to 100 yards. That elk went down within sight and under ten seconds.

With a rifle I find my abilities vary widely depending upon conditions and the particular rifle and set up for it I have. With the right rifle, set up, and conditions 600 yards is as easy as a 20 yard shot with my bow, probably easier as I don't have to worry about the elk seeing me draw my bow when using a rifle. This is a long range forum.

Lots of good replies here. Your barrel length is really going to limit the velocity you'll get from any cartridge you choose. Any of your options will work for whitetail and hogs; elk is where you'll be testing the capabilities. I'm big believer that velocity kills, and obviously shot placement is key.

I'd highly recommend a premium bullet if you're going after elk. Something like a TSX variety, Swift Scirocco II, Accubond or similar will give you consistent performance on a thick, tough animal like elk.

One point of consideration is that you mentioned you'll want to keep it light. I went down a road of ultra lightweight custom hunting rifles and discovered that there's a point that they become difficult to shoot at distance. I wouldn't have believed you if you told me before I experienced it, but I had a difficult time holding a 6.8 lb rifle (scoped and loaded) steady in a real 400 yard situation. Also, that rifle was a 6.5x284 shooting 140gr bergers and had a noticeable sharp recoil.

I'd recommend building a 7 lb rifle in a medium magnum capacity case like the PRC or x284. Either way, if you plan on using the longer 140s or consider trying the 156, you may be better served with a long action. The 26 nosler and 6.5x300 Wby are simply too overbore, especially in that short of a barrel.

Best of luck, and keep us updated with your choice and results.

Last edited:
If you handload what cartridge you go with is just a matter of perference... If you don't, I'd stick with the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 6.5 PRC. Hornady is loading some fantastic ammo in both calibers. A long range shooting instructor once made the statement that it's good to have a "WalMart" gun... One you can walk into a WalMart and buy good ammo for it. I think that makes sense...

I have been sitting on the sidelines with the 6.5 cals for along time.

I have decided to build a light handy 6.5 for hunting. My dad has recently retired and I think some more hunting is in store for us. Elk, deer, antelope maybe hog. My personal ethics, skills etc put a 600 yard cap on shots conditions depending. I enjoy ringing steel further out!

I run suppressed and want a barrel length of 20-22" to keep everything reasonably portable. I reload heavily for other calibers. (.308 .300 wm, etc.) I intend to reload using a 130 to 140 class bullet ( probably 143 eldx). I dont want to have to fire form or turn necks, ain't nobody got time for that!

The way I see it I have two direction's caliber wise.

1. 6.5 creedmoor, 260 rem, 6.5 x 47. All are around the same class netting 2800 on the high side, mid 2700's more practicality.

2. 6.5 PRC, 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 6.5 X 55. These would net roughly 3000 fps, excluding the Swede, mid 2900's with barrel length.

3. 264 win mag, 26 nosler, 6.5 saum, the boutique various 6.5 Sherman's (sorry elkaholic) and similar Wildcats. Probably could break 3100-3200 but is a significant amount of overbore waste for barrel life and components used, chasing velocity on a short setup.

I ran the numbers on a 143 eldx at my altitude, 10 mph drift, energy, etc. Sorry I work in mils.

2800 fps @ 600 yards 3.5 mil / .8 / 1427lbs

3000 fps @ 600 yards 3.0 mil / .7 / 1667lbs

I didn't run anything at 3200 because I know its getting silly for the cost.

I have never shot any game with a 6.5 bullet. I like performance, but I'm trying to be practical, I cant imagine game is going to care about 200-300fps?

I really have had my eye on a PRC. But in running the numbers it doesn't seem to offer that much more. I have seriously given the 6.5 284 a thought as well as the .264 win mag. There's obviously pros and cons to both.

Component availability is a very real thing as well. 6.5 creedmoor is everywhere, cheap! With the exception of the PRC it's all out there at a cost. Perhaps in 5 years that's a different story. I dont think the PRC will go completely extinct but who knows.

I'm having a difficult time settling in on the right caliber for me and my needs. View attachment 143284 View attachment 143285

I have been hunting elk and deer for 50 years. We feed about 600 elk and countless deer on our ranch. It is easy to get lost in what rifle to use for hunting large game animals. I used to have about 30 rifles and shotguns. I am down to 3 not counting .22's. I hand load all my rounds. I shoot a .338 Lapua 300 grain ABs at just under 2800 fps, a .270 WSM 150 gr. ABs at 3050, and a .243 with 90 grain Noslers at 3400 fps. I can ethically kill any North American game in fact any game in the world with these 3 rifles and loads. I have knocked elk down at 1000 yards and 50 yards.

(Regarding hunting only not target shooting) 6.5 Creedmoor: I am not sold on the 6.5 Creedmoor. The 264 win mag will do anything the Creedmoor will do (regarding killing an animal) out to 500 yards. After that even though the CM can do damage beyond 500 yards it gets light for elk, empirical testing will attest to this. I know the .338 is heavy in fact all my rifles are heavy. I am 62 years old I have had a knee replaced and 3 back surgeries and I am able to carry any of these guns all day. 16 pounds is 10% of my body weight. I believe weight is paramount to accuracy in the field when using a good rest. If you do not have a good rest my rule is, do not shoot. The ethical killing of an animal shows respect for one of Gods creations. As hunters, we should strive for an ethical and quick end to life for an animal. Not how far we can shoot.

I own a 6.5-284 Norma, which is basically the ballistic twin of the newer 6.5 PRC. I'm on my second barrel, and love this round. There is virtually no recoil on this rifle (it has a brake) and I can spot my bullet impacts. Honestly, I think it's a great deer and pronghorn cartridge/caliber, but I prefer to use a 30 or 338 cal on elk.
Now, a long time outfitter in NM that I've hunted with a lot, used a 6.5-284 quite a bit. It's his long range cartridge of choice and has taken some huge Mexican mule deer with it. He said that they have used that cartridge with 140 gr hunting bullets to take big bull elk and big Oryx. That being said, he uses a 340 Weatherby for elk. Make your own conclusions there.

I always like having more horsepower that I can dial down if I want to. A 264 Win Mag will give you more than the PRC, and it's a great round. I don't think you can wrong with any of them. Match your bullet and ballistics to the animal you want to take with it, and make your decision from there. Or, do like many of us have, and buy a few more rifles chambered in different cartridges.
I could have easily stopped with my 300 WSM, but I "needed" to fill the gaps and ended up with the 6.5-284, 7 STW and 338 Lapua. It's hard to pick which rifle gets to go hunting, but these are first world problems.

I think it is fine to limit your range to within your ability. But abilities vary. I've taken 17 bull elk with my bow mostly at 20-30 yards and one at 64 yards that is the outer limit of my abilities but I practice out to 100 yards. That elk went down within sight and under ten seconds.

With a rifle I find my abilities vary widely depending upon conditions and the particular rifle and set up for it I have. With the right rifle, set up, and conditions 600 yards is as easy as a 20 yard shot with my bow, probably easier as I don't have to worry about the elk seeing me draw my bow when using a rifle. This is a long range forum.
I admire a guy who can get within 20 yards of an elk undetected. That's the art of it. "Long range" is a relative term. I see guys with the proper equipment at our 600 yard matches who can't hold a 10 inch group, gun rested, off a concrete bench. All hat and no cattle.... if you know what I mean

Well, many folks have shot a lot of elk at range with a .270 and 130 gr bullet at 2900-3000, though most hand loaders settle on the 140 gr at 2800+ these days. So, with that said, using 142 gr Nosler Accubond LR or 143 gr ELD-X and about 42+- grs of RL 17/19 you'd get about 2800 out of a 22" barrel meeting the "handy" requirement and the performance requirement your seeking. With over 13 center fire hunting rifles in the gun safe, I've really gotten away from big, loud, heavy magnum rigs with a long pipe. I have a .260 rem in Sako 85 that is a tack driver (~22" bbl) and I get 2850 out of it with the load above. I also have a Fierce Firearms 7mm-08 w 22" carbon fiber barrel (6lb with scope) and I also get about 2844 with it's 140+ gr bullet...love them both, use the 7 aught 8 on bigger stuff. My son and biz partner both have 6.5 Creeds in Fierce Firearms with 20" barrels and they get about 2700 with 41.5 grs RL 17 and 142/3 gr bullets...about 1000 ft lbs at 600 yds. So, I'd go for handy, portable, supportable, practice a lot and get a tad closer to your elk and be happy with .260 Rem or 6.5 Creed (or 7mm-08). If you have a little discretionary income check out those Fierce Firearms CT Carbon Edge rifles--tack drivers and mountain friendly.

I'm going to get a lot of negative feedback for this but why would you under gun your self hunting elk. I'm not saying one caliber isn't capable of doing what you need. Prc seems the way to go but your going to have have a longer barrel to get the performance.
You are correct

Just a note on the .264 Win Mag. It, like the .260 Rem was standardized with a 9 twist and a large percentage of current production 264s still run it. I cannot get the 142 Matchking to stabilize in the Sendero II. I can get the 140 Gameking to stabilize. Something to consider if you are going to go with some of the long type VLD style bullets.

Thats right go to Hornady interlocks. Still a decent BC and very accurate to 500 yards. Lots of killing power. A proven projectile

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts