Help with a decision

william101

I have a chance to buy a Remington 700 LTR 308, or a Remington 700 xtr 2 in 338 RUM, I was planning on putting a Millett LRS 6-25 on it. Im in Montana, and am in Elk country quit abit. Most of my shots are usually under 300 yds, with only one shot in years at 550 on a antelope. Any Suggestions or thoughts on these two guns or experience on these? What kind of accuracy can I expect with the 700 xtr 2 338 RUM? Thanks for any help

The 308 would do the job OK.?? But the 338 was made for elk. LOTS more "smack" to it...so if you can stand the recoil go for the 338 by all means

338 RUM with a good muzzle brake added on to it. Being in Montana, the terrain can get pretty ugly and I would want to put the animal down as soon as possible and the 338 RUM will do that for sure.

I was wondering about the quality of the Remington xcr 2, is it a accurate enough of a platform for the 338 RUM?Thanks I dont know why im inquiring when Im having to sell some guns of mine for various bills.LOL crazy.

If this is your only rifle and you plan on hunting Elk, then you should go with the 338. Or, be realistic with your range using the 308. ...but, you already knew that.

As an everyday rifle and one that will be good for lots of trigger time, the 308 is more practical. IMO

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.