Need help making a decision M1A loaded or AR10?

JJMoody

title says it all. Can buy a loaded m1a Springfield with archangel stock, nice bipod (not sure make) m308 Nikon and mags. Other option is a dpms ar10, prs stock brake cheap bipod and hard case. The m1 is $1650 and the ar is $1300. Thoughts? Both rifles used for fun, range time, maybe deer and just because...

For the use you are describing I would say it comes down to which rifle has the most personal appeal. I personally like the AR platform of the two for its versatility of customization and accuracy potential, but for fun I shoot an A4 !903 Sniper rifle and have a blast.

Couldn't resist.... Sprung for the AR10. To my surprise it came with an AAC quick detach muzzle brake, heavy 10 twist barrel, PRS stock and a very light and crisp trigger. Also a grocery bag full of PMags and cheesy bipod. Appears to not have many rounds cycled through as there is almost zero wear on any moving parts. I'll post pics as soon as I can slip it past my wife to the gun safe. :D

Others will disagree but I think you made a good choice.

I have a DPMS GII Hunter and I am impressed with the rifle. The rifle is sub-MOA and is reliable as can be.

If your rifle has very few rounds down the barrel, I suggest to follow the suggested break in procedure mainly because I followed it and the rifle became smooth and accurate.

I used quality USA manufactured military styled(147grn) ammunition to do the break in. I also ran the rifle wet.

I also installed an adjustable gas block because my rifle was way overgassed. I think you will probably want to do the same.

I don't know which DPMS rifle you purchased but the GIIs have a problem with magpul mags. The problem is the bolt hold does not raise enough to consistantly hold the bolt on an empty mag or it just barely holds the bolt causing a lot of wear and tear on the hold itself.

If the rifle is not a GII, no worries. If it is, one can easily find the fix on the internet.

My rifle and my sons rifle did not shoot well with the 147-155grn type slugs. 165-168grn slugs were the favorite of our rifles.

Good luck with your AR-10, there is a reason they are called big boys Barbie dolls, you can dress it up any way you would like too!

Have fun and shoot straight.

I'm really looking forward to spending some time at the range with it. The more I dig into it, the more I like it. I've kinda kicked myself for not going with the m1a which was ready to go, with optic but probably would've done the same had I not gotten the AR, or LR-308 (still not sure if there's a difference). I did tell the seller about the classified section here. Pretty sure it would settle me down to know that rifle is sold and no longer an option. :D I haven't shot this one yet, but I'm already looking at a JP 6.5 creedmore barrel. Tinkeritis.....:rolleyes:

IF I ever shoot my barrel out I would like to have it re-barreled to a 6.5 Creedmore.

I'm not sure what it would take to do so but I have a while to worry about it.

My son and I have had very good luck with 165grn Nosler Ballistic tips and 168grn Nosler CC's over H4895, LC brass and #34 primers. Ckeck out BrassBombers.com for the brass, good stuff and reasonably priced.

We full length resize with a small base RCBS die so we have no problem with the feeding or extraction. I am not sure this is necessary but we do it anyway.

Good luck with your rifle, I am sure it will shoot for you and I am sure the rifle will suit your needs.

Just to add, I have fired M1a's quite a bit and I would take the AR platform over the M1a any day.

I am sure I just ****ed a lot of shooters off right now but the truth is the truth.

One of those times where you can't really go wrong either way!

I'd would have gone with the AR10 as well. There are SO many more upgrades when compared to the M1A.

I have a DPMS GII Hunter and I am impressed with the rifle.

Are the GII's really as light as an AR 15?

I really want to get a GII and put a 45 Raptor barrel on it for Michigan hunting in the shotgun (and straight walled cartridge) zones. But then I also found out that the GII's have different barrels than the Gen 1's. Is anybody making barrels for the GII's yet?

I'd buy a Gen 1 that I know for sure could be used to create a 45 Raptor, but I'm not up for carrying a 10lb rifle around unless I have to for some reason.

Thanks!

engineer40,

Out of the box the GII is noticeably lighter than my sons LR-308.

I placed a adj. gas block on it, a magpul PRS stock and a heavy buffer from heavybuffer.com.

I then purchased a 4X14 scope from Primary Arms and mounter it with an American Defense 20moa single piece QD mount. I also put a 9-13 Harris bipod on it.

Whatever loss of weight I started with is no more.

My son and I both hunted and took 2 good mature white tail bucks last year. While I was humping the DPMS around the forest and had no problems with the total weight of the weapon

Good luck to all of you guys. I believe you will have a good time if and when you take it out to the jungle

Any advice on adjustable gas blocks? Im pretty new to the different configurations in an AR. I have shot a JP barreled 6.5 creedmore and was impressed to say the least. That rifle pretty much sold me on the platform. Any tools I should be looking into? I also have a buddy who is a Lake City brass dealer and manufactures loaded ammo... Think I'll give him a call tomorrow. :D Is anyone selling any spare time in the classified section? I could really use some

I own both platforms.

For pure functionality nothing beats the M1A.

The AR platforms offer much more versatility when it comes to aftermarket parts and accessories.

If my life had to depend on one rifle of the two it would be the M1A.

There are also a number of piston driven AR Platform rifles on the market which offer the best of both worlds. My favorites are the Sig 516 and 716.

Both my son and I purchased .750 Odin adjustable gas blocks for our rifles.

We purchased the blocks from Primary Arms mainly because the Odins were much less expensive than the JP's and all the other high dollar items.

We paid $75.00 a piece for them, which you will find is pretty inexpensive compared to the others.

The block can be tuned to your rifle/loads and locks when you are done tuning by the means of a set screw. It's nice to know the block guts won't go shooting out on accident.

We have had absolutely no problems or hic-ups with the accuracy or function of the rifles. We have not needed to clean the blocks, all we do is the normal maintenance. Shoot, oil, store until the next time out.

If for some reason you need to clean the block, it can be done without removing the block from the firearm.

My son and I have had good luck with the Odins so that is the block I would suggest to you to buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.