Gonna leave “well enough” alone...

Spent a couple range sessions getting the .25-06 set up with a 115 Berger. Wouldn't mind tweaking this a bit but just don't want to burn through the components looking for the next level of ballistic Nirvana. I'll get speeds on it next trip and set it for a 4" MPBR, probably good out to 365 for a dead hold.
View attachment 212138View attachment 212139
Out of Curiosity, What is the Brand of Rifle. I personally like the rounded fore end. When I am shooting free hand with no props, I am more stable with a rounded fore end versus a square bottom fore end.

Nice work! Your post suggests to me that you achieved that result with seating depth testing at a mid-range powder charge. Is that correct?
Well, the published max is 52.0 but I've seen pressure at 51 with the Nosler so I loaded a few check charges from 49.0 up to be safe. Took it up to 51.2 with no issues and it shoots so I left it there. I think the rifle has a tight chamber cause I was trying to load up some new Hornady brass which was measuring 1.953 on the Sinclair bump gauge and my fire formed Winchester brass blows out only to 1.950. I couldn't get the new Hornady stuff to bump lower than 1.950, even with a heavy cam-over. No carbon ring and clean dies so I dunno what's up. At any rate, I was very happy to find 16 new pieces of Winchester brass that I had packed away before I moved to my new house. Maybe I need to anneal the new Hornady brass? In any event, the Win brass holds up very well in this rifle.

BTW - I'm 20 thousandths off on the Berger.

Out of Curiosity, What is the Brand of Rifle. I personally like the rounded fore end. When I am shooting free hand with no props, I am more stable with a rounded fore end versus a square bottom fore end.
It's a Cooper Jackson Game rifle w/24" bbl. AAA+ Claro Walnut on the stock. Nice rifle but it's a tank at probably 11.0 lbs., scoped and loaded. Great for elevated blind or bi-pod hunting but you sure don't want to be lugging one around, that's for sure!

Spent a couple range sessions getting the .25-06 set up with a 115 Berger. Wouldn't mind tweaking this a bit but just don't want to burn through the components looking for the next level of ballistic Nirvana. I'll get speeds on it next trip and set it for a 4" MPBR, probably good out to 365 for a dead hold.
Beautiful rifle. Nice group.

Maybe I need to anneal the new Hornady brass? In any event, the Win brass holds up very well in this rifle.

BTW - I'm 20 thousandths off on the Berger.

I think you hit the bullseye with this. I always like to anneal new brass before FL sizing, etc...

It will definitely consume components but testing seating depth may well tighten that group up if you ever decide you want to.

I tightened up 0.77 moa group at 0.020" jump by backing the powder down 1.5 gr and finding a seating depth accuracy node from 0.070" to 0.078" jump. I'm pretty sure the low 4th shot flyer at 0.070" jump was my forearm grip pulling down too hard. This should give me a pretty wide margin when seating bullets.
I haven't tuned powder charge yet but will when I get a chance.
0.77 moa 150 NBT.jpg
070 to 075 jump 150 NBT.jpg

The shape of this group suggests 1/2 to 2 grains extra powder will close it up. Start 1/2 grain then go up with three shot groups. You should know after shooting 3 three shot groups. I think the projectile seating depth is pretty well spot on.

I think you hit the bullseye with this. I always like to anneal new brass before FL sizing, etc...

It will definitely consume components but testing seating depth may well tighten that group up if you ever decide you want to.

I tightened up 0.77 moa group at 0.020" jump by backing the powder down 1.5 gr and finding a seating depth accuracy node from 0.070" to 0.078" jump. I'm pretty sure the low 4th shot flyer at 0.070" jump was my forearm grip pulling down too hard. This should give me a pretty wide margin when seating bullets.
I haven't tuned powder charge yet but will when I get a chance.View attachment 212306View attachment 212307
Don't cha hate it when you're shooting at those targets in the upper left and right quadrants and you put one off the paper? AAARRRRGH!!

I love your rifle. Mine is a Ruger No. 1 varmint in 25-06. It will shoot inside 0.8" at 100 yards, and I use it extensively for prairie dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.