Accurate enough?

I concur with a number of previous comments. If you think the long range bug will get you and want to shoot out past 1000 yards, I would suggest investing in good quality equipment now and you will learn how to use it over time. First, the price will only go up and as others have said, the pain is only once.

Some of the equipment I like is an RCBS RockChucker or Forester Co-Ax press. Area 419 makes a top of the line press, but it is $1275 plus some of the accessories you need are also expensive (die rings @ $25 each). For dies, I like Redding Competition and a Sinclair mandrel. I understand Lee Collet Dies work very well but have not tried one. Annealing will be another area you will want to investigate. I have an Annealeez, which is OK for the money but would suggest there are better options. I have used a RCBS ChargeMaster for several years and received my AutoTrickler v4 a couple weeks ago and very impressed. It not only speeds up the powder drop process but the accuracy is phenomenal once you get it dialed in. For example, with IMR4350 it is down to a single kernel of powder every time. No under target drops possible and accuracy to +/- 0.02 grains if desired.

Other things to consider are buying the best quality of brass you can find. Lapua, Peterson, ADG, and Nosler (in order) are all very good. Purchase enough brass of the same lot number as you anticipate needing for the life of the barrel. I weigh each case to get a relative measurement on case volume. You will need a case trimmer. There are several good ones from Sinclair, RCBS and Hornady but I prefer one from Lee (fast and easy and I can't find any appreciable difference in accuracy compared to the lathe type trimmer). You will need a case prep station. Hornady, Franklin Aresenal, Lyman and RCBS are all good. Also get a good set of digital calipers made by Mitutoyo. They are a little more expensive than others but well worth the investment. Bullet comparison and headspace measurement tools are a necessity to get accurate reloads. Hornady is one vendor but there are others. Neck turning tools will be something that can wait until you have mastered reloading. Lots of opinions on whether the effort is worth the accuracy gain. You will find other specialty tools that you may want to gather over time, but this is the basic list that I can think of for now. Lastly, find the bullet your particular rifle likes. Hammer, Barnes, Berger, Hornady ELD-X, Nosler ABLR and Sierra GameChanger are some you may want to try. Weigh each bullet and sort into groups of 0.1 grain variance. The quality of most bullets are excellent these days but occasionally you will find an outlier and you don't want that one on a critical trophy hunt.

Best wishes to you and keep us up to date on your reloading journey.

I'm new to reloading and have a buddy with some pretty high end reloading tools. I am considering getting my own equipment and am wondering the degree of precision needed. Specifically, is a chargemaster capable of .1 gr charge accuracy good enough or will I notice the difference that say a v4 autotrickler would give at say .01 accuracy.

I am no expert in long range accuracy. The farthest I've ever shot is 600y and my realistic hunting range is inside 400.

What kind of difference does that .01-.09 difference make?

I'm not really as concerned about the speed of the throws.
I'm new to reloading and have a buddy with some pretty high end reloading tools. I am considering getting my own equipment and am wondering the degree of precision needed. Specifically, is a chargemaster capable of .1 gr charge accuracy good enough or will I notice the difference that say a v4 autotrickler would give at say .01 accuracy.

I am no expert in long range accuracy. The farthest I've ever shot is 600y and my realistic hunting range is inside 400.

What kind of difference does that .01-.09 difference make?

I'm not really as concerned about the speed of the throws.
In the reloading world some of us get totally enamored with each and every detail imaginable and that is the end product of precision reloading but not the necessary basics, which is where most everyone starts. You Shurley can enjoy a lab type scale for weighing total powder charges if that's where you want to put your money. Personally, I use and have used for many years now
the RCBS Chargemaster powder scale / dispenser with great results. In the summer months at least twice weekly, my dispenser is weighing loads for testing and assembling known match loads without fail.

RCBS RockChucker or Forester Co-Ax press. ... For dies, I like Redding Competition and a Sinclair mandrel. I understand Lee Collet Dies work very well but have not tried one. Annealing will be another area you will want to investigate.

All good advice there. Would add the Lee collet dies do indeed work and so do the Crimp dies. To go with the Redding Comp Dies also get the Competition Shellholder Sets they allow you to set head space without touching the die. I have a RCBS Beam that came with my RockChucker, and two Digitals. Plus I added two sets of weights to check calibration. Bought the 2nd to check the first. As somebody mentioned this game does induce or compound OCD.

Another cheap addon is rubber O-rings for the underside of the die locking ring. If the flat surface on the top of your press is not absolutely perfectly square with the thread axis, your die is slightly off angle. The O-Ring allows the die a minimal 'float' reducing sizing induced run-out.

Free advice and worth every penny: Don't just sort cases by just weight, but water capacity weight too. Spin the cases as your reloading (multiple pulls) and hold the handle down for a few seconds to let brass relax to decrease snap back.

Last edited:
Please tell me I'm not the only that uses tweezers to remove one kernel, ball, granular at a time for that perfect load. 🤔🤦🤣
I don't use tweezers. I dump out a few kernels and trickle back up. Pretty much a waste of time given the distances I shoot, but it makes me feel better.

If you are happy with 0.5" groups at 100 yds, you will be fine with +/- 0.1gr.
I'm very happy with .1- .2 MOA at 200 yards, and less then .<.5MOA a 1000 yards with the .1 graduation grain scale on my RCBS Chargemaster that I've been running for over a dozen years. Good for antelope out to 1200 yards.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with .1 - 2 MOA at 200 yards, and less then .<.5MOA a 1000 yards with the .1 graduation grain scale on my RCBS Chargemaster that I've been running for over a dozen years. Good for antelope out to 1200 yards.
Same here. Only a few less yards (1055).
My current best shooter doesn't complain about the scales while printing 3" groups at 1k. The days it talks back are due to caffeine, stress, or lack of trigger discipline.