Not enough powder!!

Waynzee

I know there has been a lot of discussion on here about overloading your cartridge, pressure signs, flatten or cratered primers ect.. But what about under loading, not using enough powder. What are some pressure signs to watch for there?

Well. Getting our bullet lodged in the chamber could be an issue...
Developed some subsonic rounds for my 300 AAC Blackout. I asked the same question on a 300 AAC Forum. Only response I got was loading too light and getting bullet jammed in chamber.

Well. Getting our bullet lodged in the chamber could be an issue...
Developed some subsonic rounds for my 300 AAC Blackout. I asked the same question on a 300 AAC Forum. Only response I got was loading too light and getting bullet jammed in chamber.

never go less than the minimum powder charge in the reloading manual. you can have what they call the secondary explosion effect. Google it if you are curious.

Some powders are more forgiving than others.

I've always been told that under powered loads will produce "sooty" cases due to insufficient pressure to expand the brass and seal the chamber.

Thanks guys, I knew it was just as bad to under load a cartridge, just didn't know any of the tech. stuff. The reason I'm asking is my brother has a bad shoulder so I've been loading some 150 gr. 30/06 loads to 2650 fps for him but he still flinches when he touches off a round. So, I told him I didn't think I can load any lower. He really likes his old M77 Ruger and its a tack driver but he might have to go to something that doesn,t kick. I suggested a muzzle brake and he looked like I just **** in his oatmeal. hahaha.

... my brother has a bad shoulder so I've been loading some 150 gr. 30/06 loads to 2650 fps for him but he still flinches when he touches off a round. ... I suggested a muzzle brake and he looked like I just **** in his oatmeal. hahaha.

I'm 77 and have learned to face the facts of life that tell us when to put our ego in the trash if we want to enjoy certain activities. For hard hitting rifles I fold a bath towel into about four layers and drape it over my shoulder, under my jacket to absorb recoil. Tell your brother that two of my larger caliber rifles have muzzle brakes to reduce recoil and muzzle jump. I'm still shooting several times a month. No pain, respectable scores, great companions to share lies with. You don't have to be the winner to enjoy the game.
gun) - - - - - - - - - - - (X)

Thanks guys, I knew it was just as bad to under load a cartridge, just didn't know any of the tech. stuff. The reason I'm asking is my brother has a bad shoulder so I've been loading some 150 gr. 30/06 loads to 2650 fps for him but he still flinches when he touches off a round. So, I told him I didn't think I can load any lower. He really likes his old M77 Ruger and its a tack driver but he might have to go to something that doesn,t kick. I suggested a muzzle brake and he looked like I just **** in his oatmeal. hahaha.

You can load them down to the 1000-1500 FPS range if you use the correct powder. The information is on the Hodgdon website.

I work with a guy who owns a lot of rifles, some custom, some factory. He puts a muzzle brake on ever things he owns. He owns a 22 swift that actually pulls forward when the rifle discharges. Seems like a brake would be a safer alternative then underloading ammo.

I can not tolerate the recoil of my 7mm mag anymore.
I asked the people on this forum for help.
The best option I received is the H4895 info for reduced loads

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895 Reduced Rifle Loads.pdf

Ckeck out Hogdon reloading site for more information on the loads.

One of the scary sides of loading too low is detonation.

Good luck.

why would anyone download a rifle cartridge? Get rid of the gun or put it in the gun cabinet and don't shoot it.

Well my range guns are all low recoil rifles in 6 to 6.5 mm. these are the guns I shoot a lot. Low recoil and muzzle blast allows you to develop good shooting habits. Breathing, trigger control and hold.

Why even own a gun that is unpleasant to shoot.

Of course for a hunting rifle that in reality you only shoot a few times a year I believe you could deal with the pain. Don't use it for a range gun.

My 7mm mag is a stainless Ruger #1 that my family bought for me a while back.

I have a lot of good memories of hunting with my family connected to that rifle.

I don't care to put a comp on it just because.

My rifle will stay in my family until there is just no one who wants it anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.