Not strong enough for BR2s?

Stewart2550

I have a new Bergara HMR Pro as well as a Seekins Havak chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. I loaded 150 rounds all with BR2s using Hornady brass as well as Peterson brass, some once fired some brand new all causing the same issues. Out of the 150 rounds I would say 20 would not fire on the first shot and 7 that would not fire at all. Primers are from different lots and causing the same issues. I have tried CCI 200s as well as federal 210s all without issue.. Does a gun just not like the hardness of the BR2s?

Maybe the striking is not adjusted as adequate for BR2s.
You might adjust your firing pin setting for optimum with a particular primer, or just pick the best primer as it is and stop changing things.

I have had this issue. Some rifles strike with firing pin harder than others. I would go with the one that goes off 100% of the time and not mess with the others in that particular rifle.

In my opinion, this is an ignition problem with the action. You should be able to set off any large rifle primer. It could be a weak spring, a dragging pin, insufficient pin fall, etc. The easy solution is to use a different primer, but that's more of a bandaid than a fix in my opinion. The problem is weak ignition will affect velocity spreads and accuracy. Even if you're lighting the primers off, it can be happening inconsistently and can cause reliability problems.

In my opinion, this is an ignition problem with the action. You should be able to set off any large rifle primer. It could be a weak spring, a dragging pin, insufficient pin fall, etc. The easy solution is to use a different primer, but that's more of a bandaid than a fix in my opinion. The problem is weak ignition will affect velocity spreads and accuracy. Even if you're lighting the primers off, it can be happening inconsistently and can cause reliability problems.
Just curious because I have not experienced this. If a primer is struck with enough force to ignite won't it ignite the same every time as long as enough force it exerted to ignite? Are you saying a firing pin struck harder by a firing pin ignites hotter? It seems if that were the case any rifle could have this issue depending on how many rounds were fired between stripping down the bolt and cleaning.

Just curious because I have not experienced this. If a primer is struck with enough force to ignite won't it ignite the same every time as long as enough force it exerted to ignite? Are you saying a firing pin struck harder by a firing pin ignites hotter? It seems if that were the case any rifle could have this issue depending on how many rounds were fired between stripping down the bolt and cleaning.
You can have hangfires that aren't necessarily delayed enough to notice. The primer will ignite but it can be delayed, even if you can't notice it. A harder firing pin hit doesn't necessarily mean it's burning hotter, it's just getting lit off with a sufficient amount of energy every time. If you're having primers not igniting, then you have issues. You have to maintain your equipment and change out springs. An action with perfect ignition can be hampered by grease in the firing pin spring or a worn out spring. Some guys do it every barrel, some do it every year. They're cheap insurance to guarantee you don't have a hang fire or a misfire when you're making the shot of a lifetime on a hunt.

Another example of weak ignition would be a standard primer trying to light too big of a charge or a hard to light powder such as a ball powder. You'll see high extreme spreads and standard deviations, you can also get unexplained flyers in your groups and hang fires. Colder weather shows bad or weak ignition the most.

Recent Posts