Not enough powder!!

My 7mm mag is a stainless Ruger #1 that my family bought for me a while back.

I have a lot of good memories of hunting with my family connected to that rifle.

I don't care to put a comp on it just because.

My rifle will stay in my family until there is just no one who wants it anymore.

I have several generations of shotguns and rifles in the gun cabinet.

There's a guy on accuratereloading dot com named Seafire/B17 who discovered Blue Dot shoots teeny groups when used to download bottleneck cartridges. I've been doing it for a decade. BD takes up about half the case volume when used for this purpose and generates about 2200 FPS. A 300WM feels like a 30 carbine. H4895 is a good powder but you're doing the same thing with more recoil and high ES. I tried other pistol powders but BD could not be touched for accuracy and low ES.

I know the shoulder limitations well.

Some possible ideas:
- Go to a lower density bullets - such as copper. There are good ones from GS Custom, Cutting Edge, and Barnes. It should be possible to get down to a 120 - 130 grain bullet, which also helps.

- If he needs something to really go light with, there is a flake powder used in cowboy action shooting that can take about any round down to the 1500 fps range with a full case. I need to think about the name of it.

- A prior poster mentioned placing a towel between the stock and shoulder - great idea. I have been known to use my wallet in a pinch. Maybe shorten the stock and put in a really thick recoil pad.

A harder option, but he might consider to change shoulders.

The powder I was thinking of is Trail Boss, it shoots most rifle rounds at 1200 - 1500 fps, no matter what.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.