Accurate enough?

mdmountainman

I'm new to reloading and have a buddy with some pretty high end reloading tools. I am considering getting my own equipment and am wondering the degree of precision needed. Specifically, is a chargemaster capable of .1 gr charge accuracy good enough or will I notice the difference that say a v4 autotrickler would give at say .01 accuracy.

I am no expert in long range accuracy. The farthest I've ever shot is 600y and my realistic hunting range is inside 400.

What kind of difference does that .01-.09 difference make?

I'm not really as concerned about the speed of the throws.

.1 is OK if the scale is consistent and quick return to 0 and maintains it. Ohaus and the like make very good laboratory scales (which I happen to use). I leave my scale on 24/7 which a high quality surge strip. Another great tool is a benchrest powder thrower. I use a Redding which has giving great service over the 20 years or so of service.

P.S. 4 kernels of H4350 (or so) is a 10th of a grain of powder. Divide the .01GN by 4=chasing your tail.

that kind of accuracy for powder charging isn't needed. I used to charge at 1/2 grain increments, but now one grain. Inside 400 yards ? Any enhancement is not needed inside 400 yards. Outside to 600, a quality rifle and bedded rifle for starters, and shooting skills, a good rest in the field, concentric ammo to a point. Wanna do it cheap? Frankford Arsensal coax press, Redding body die, and a Lee Collet neck die. Pick a good powder to prevent a small possible disaster of over doing buying too much of unsuitable powder. IE temperature stable powder, the right speed for the right cartridge and bullet weight, in other words, do your homework first.

Last edited:
H4350 is one powder I'll be using for 6.5cr. My understanding is that some of the benchrest throwers don't work well with the stick powders. I'll also use Alliant power pistol to load 9mm and 10mm for which I am less concerned about the precision.

If I'm hearing you guys right, the difference between 1-4 sticks of H4350 in a charge won't make an appreciable difference, assuming all ither variables are accounted for?

H4350 is one powder I'll be using for 6.5cr. My understanding is that some of the benchrest throwers don't work well with the stick powders. I'll also use Alliant power pistol to load 9mm and 10mm for which I am less concerned about the precision.

If I'm hearing you guys right, the difference between 1-4 sticks of H4350 in a charge won't make an appreciable difference, assuming all other variables are accounted for?
1-4 sticks of H4350 in a charge won't make an appreciable difference

not in my experience

I use the BR with H4350 and set at .2 to .3 less than the desired weight and trickle the rest. Ball powders will be spot on. Record your "measurement" in your log book. If you want to throw .2 less, the setting might be 45.7 on the thrower. I record that amount as R45.7. The hash marks on the thrower are for that purpose. The load would be 55.0 H4350.

55.0 H4350
R45.7

I have an RCBS Chargemaster and a V3 Autotrickler I like them both. IMO you'd be hard pressed to see a difference in group size at your stated max distance with a hunting rifle. Bench rest and f-class demand that kind of accuracy but those are custom 1/4moa and better rifles.
I loaded with an RCBS beam scale for over 40 yrs. In that time I made some awesome accurate ammo too. I bought and switched over to the RCBS Chargemaster when it came out. All it did was Speed up the process, no discernible accuracy improvements.
Now the V3 is not only faster but 5x more accurate.

If you plan on shooting over 600yds or in competition skip over the RCBS Matchmaster and get a V3, V4, or Prometheus.

But for now, since you are just getting started, I think you'd be better served and your money would be better spent on the other tools you'll need.

I appreciate the replies. I'm usually pretty picky about gear and like to have the best regardless of costs but the reality where I live is that I don't shoot enough or in competition situations to warrant needing everything high end. I'll research benchrest throwers vs. digital like the chargemaster.

Now I'll need to decide on a press (or two) for rifle vs. bulk pistol.

If you're concerned about .1 grains of powder then you shouldn't consider a benchrest thrower unless you only use ball powder or you buy a trickler as well. Press wise i'd suggest a Dillon 750 for bulk pistol usage and a single stage RCBS rockchucker.

.1 gr fluctuation in powder charge wont cause accuracy issues at your ranges. Spend more time developing loads for specific rifles, adjust seating depths trying different bullets etc will give you better groups.

I am SUPER ANAL about my loading. But, for 400 and in, .1gr will be just fine.

I will say this for clarification.
When I used to trickle to the exact kernel, my AR .223 pushing 69 SMK over 25.5gr Varget was a low teen ES .4MOA consistent rifle. When I started using ONLY my auto throw, my ES opened up to 20s, and group size opened up to .7MOA. For an AR varmint rifle, no big deal. But my hit % at 700-800+ on MOA sized steel definitely took a drop.