Gemsbok Oryx

One of the ladies that went with us was carrying a 375 Ruger. She used it with reduced loads and our 256g Sledge Hammer at 2500fps. She is only about a 100# so recoil was a bit of an issue.

Steve

The big thing is that the vitals are further forward of North American game. I've shot them with 30-06, 308 and 9.3x62 all DRT. One of the PH' s I used in SA shoots them for camp meat with a 243.

The big thing is that the vitals are further forward of North American game. I've shot them with 30-06, 308 and 9.3x62 all DRT. One of the PH' s I used in SA shoots them for camp meat with a 243.
Yep, lower and more forward so Americans tend to shoot too high and too far back.

Africa takes some getting used to and if the political situation wasn't such a mess I might well have stayed.

One of the ladies that went with us was carrying a 375 Ruger. She used it with reduced loads and our 256g Sledge Hammer at 2500fps. She is only about a 100# so recoil was a bit of an issue.

Steve
Yep that's a bit heafty for the average small woman. I know what about 130lbs though that shoots a CZ550 Safari model though in 416 Rigby. She's tough as a boot and equally cute. She's the CEO of CZUSA.

Yep, lower and more forward so Americans tend to shoot too high and too far back.

Africa takes some getting used to and if the political situation wasn't such a mess I might well have stayed.

If u stayed, my boys wouldnt Have uncle Charlie to mess around with!!!!!

Maybe we need Steve to build us a load for the big green B _-_-_ to handle some game. I'm sure the STw can put those 7mm Nikita screaming out that 29inch barrel

If u stayed, my boys wouldnt Have uncle Charlie to mess around with!!!!!

Maybe we need Steve to build us a load for the big green B _-_-_ to handle some game. I'm sure the STw can put those 7mm Nikita screaming out that 29inch barrel
No, they'd still have me, the trip would just take a little longer. No way I could give up on you and the little Q's.

.....Next time we go I plan to take my 30-30. It is crazy thick......Steve

..........Just heard my No. 1 is ready to pick up, I hope to put those 143 Levers into something organic this fall. Africa would be an interesting place for a lever gun, go all Teddy Roosevelt on them.

gemsbok_shot_placement.jpg

So last weekend I was able to take this guy at 192 yards. Second day of the hunt and winds were way high...gusts to 35. Went to the hills and found him bedded in a steep canyon underneath a tree.

Shot home with the .300WM and 215 Berger hybrids. They worked well.

Although I thought he'd go bigger he ended up 36.25". I am super happy with him!

Attachments

• 8231DC22-5FFF-410C-8880-B44B3F0F7D17.jpeg
    8231DC22-5FFF-410C-8880-B44B3F0F7D17.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 380
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.