Oryx are Awesome!

They seem like such an amazing animal and I am surprised that they have gotten loose from somewhere, where they were brought in to the country and escaped, to eventually grow large enough in numbers to be hunted. I am amazed that the Fish and Game people allowed it to happen, as well. Normally, most Fish and Game agencies would have slaughtered them before they could get to a huntable number. Kudos to your states Fish and Game Agency!
The release was actually sponsored by the New Mexico Game and Fish back in the 60's and 70's to increase hunting opportunity in southern New Mexico. Needless to say, the Oryx are thriving.

Last edited:
I'm taking her to Utah this weekend for her first big game opportunity for a cow elk. Should be fun playing in the snow.

Little lady scored big last Tuesday. Mountain lions in the morning and elk at last light. Monster day for a 12 year old.

20221213_173712.jpg
20221213_130256.jpg

Man, I hope she stays at it. My daughter was the same way with her bow, shotgun and rifle until she drank the brew of a witch that turns fathers sweet buddies into the damndest, meanest, boy crazy little witches imaginable, and the next three years of her life, with the exception of 52 days a year, are spent grounded while your hunting and fishing disappear. It is then, at this moment, you wish that your children are all boys as that little angel that owns her daddy's heart is tearing it into pieces, through her actions. The only respite from this is watching her have three daughters after she grows up and gets it together. There's something to be said about KARMA!

Last edited:
The release was actually sponsored by the New Mexico Game and Fish back in the 60's and 70's to increase hunting opportunity in southern New Mexico. Needless to say, the Oryx are thriving.
This is fantastic. It looks like it made an additional hunting experience for the hunters of New Mexico as well as fantastic tablefare for them, as well.

Congrats on several great hunts with your daughter. I commend you for spending time with her. I agree with GB, she shares a striking resemblance to you. That is a great looking cat. Are you willing to share the details of the hunt?

Gone ballistic, in the 1960's the director Ladd Gordon of New Mexico game and fish convinced the commission that they should transplant some desert species from North Africa In order to save them. That's how New Mexico got Ibex, Oryx and Barbary Sheep. The Ibex and Oryx have worked out well the Sheep seem to out compete the native Mule deer.

Gone ballistic, in the 1960's the director Ladd Gordon of New Mexico game and fish convinced the commission that they should transplant some desert species from North Africa In order to save them. That's how New Mexico got Ibex, Oryx and Barbary Sheep. The Ibex and Oryx have worked out well the Sheep seem to out compete the native Mule deer.
It's amazing to me that someone who has the foresight to help hunting is actually heard and backed up enough to get their vision implemented. In Idaho, something similar happened however, it wasn't to help the hunter. Wolves were introduced that were and are killing machines. They were supposed to be a test only and then removed but money and the courts ruled otherwise. So, they still kill cattle, sheep and game animals. in the entire Pacific Northwest, now, due to uncontrolled migration and fights with animal rights groups. Your situation is a solution, while ours is utter devastation of animals.

Man, I hope she stays at it. My daughter was the same way with her bow, shotgun and rifle until she drank the brew of a witch that turns fathers sweet buddies into the damndest, meanest, boy crazy little witches imaginable, and the next three years of her life, with the exception of 52 days a year, are spent grounded while your hunting and fishing disappear. It is then, at this moment, you wish that your children are all boys as that little angel that owns her daddy's heart is tearing it into pieces, through her actions. The only respite from this is watching her have three daughters after she grows up and gets it together. There's something to be said about KARMA!
I am somewhat relating to your story. Very sad to hear that. Stay on top of it. Prayers to you brother.

It's amazing to me that someone who has the foresight to help hunting is actually heard and backed up enough to get their vision implemented. In Idaho, something similar happened however, it wasn't to help the hunter. Wolves were introduced that were and are killing machines. They were supposed to be a test only and then removed but money and the courts ruled otherwise. So, they still kill cattle, sheep and game animals. in the entire Pacific Northwest, now, due to uncontrolled migration and fights with animal rights groups. Your situation is a solution, while ours is utter devastation of animals.
I wont get started on wolves... 90 % of people have no clue at all.
One BIG mistske and the hunters and taxpayers are paying for it. Just like the sacred mountain lion in Ca.. hundreds killed by state trappers on the taxpayer's dime. The lion lovers and wolf lovers don't even know it or don't care as long as hunters aren't doing it and Game and Fish aren't making revenue from it. Then there is the Grizzley overpopulation... Another story 🙄

About a month ago I got a call from New Mexico Game and Fish notifying me that they selected my name for a one day oryx population management opportunity on the Dona Ana range complex near WSMR. Without hesitation, I said I'll take it. I've been fortunate to hunt this area on this same tag in previous years and there are few things better than having a freezer full of oryx meat.

With my 12 yo daughter alongside, the morning hunt started slowly. I went to a location I've seen several large groups in the past, but aside from a few stragglers, the numbers weren't there this time. I did, however, spot a large herd approximately 2 miles away from my elevated position. We climbed back down to the truck and headed towards the oryx. We passed on a few animals on the way to the large herd that either weren't easily stalkable or didn't make the cut for size. Knowing that this is a one day hunt, you have to be a bit more aware about potentially wasting time on a fruitless stalk.

The oryx sightings increased drastically as we approached the location we previously spotted them in. My goal was to find either a 40+" cow or a 37+" bull. I knew the quality of animals in the area was there, I just had to demonstrate a little patience. After looking over a few dozen oryx, one caught my eye, but it had me totally fooled. It completely dwarfed the mid 30" cow it was standing next to. After looking it over for a few seconds, noticing the larger size, distinct horn rings, and heavy bases, I thought it was a long horned bull. With with the animal broadside at 385 yards, I built a rest, dialed my scope, and sent a 200 grain Accubond through its shoulder dropping the oryx in its tracks. As we approached the animal I was absolutely elated that I had met my goal, but I was surprised to see a cow on the ground after seeing the way it dwarfed its sidekick.

The old cow measures 41" with a 6.75" base on the left and 40.5" with a 7" base on the right side.

These are such cool critters and I'm grateful to have the opportunity to hunt them free range here in the USA.

View attachment 415582View attachment 415581
Great job ! Awesome oryx ! And got to have daughter with you. Priceless. Congratulations!