Gemsbok Oryx

So last weekend I was able to take this guy at 192 yards. Second day of the hunt and winds were way high...gusts to 35. Went to the hills and found him bedded in a steep canyon underneath a tree.

Shot home with the .300WM and 215 Berger hybrids. They worked well.

Although I thought he'd go bigger he ended up 36.25". I am super happy with him!

Awesome critter! Oryx meat is fantastic!

Congratulation Raidergrad! Which range did you hunt? I believe I've been on seven hunts on Rhodes Canyon and hunted west of the Stallion on an off-range tag. You have yourself a nice trophy and some of the best table fare of any game, at least that's my opinion...!

So last weekend I was able to take this guy at 192 yards. Second day of the hunt and winds were way high...gusts to 35. Went to the hills and found him bedded in a steep canyon underneath a tree.

Shot home with the .300WM and 215 Berger hybrids. They worked well.

Although I thought he'd go bigger he ended up 36.25". I am super happy with him!
Very nice, good mass and lots of growth rings. Definitely not a youngster, congrats.

Raidergrad,
Congratulations on a rewarding adventure.
I just found this thread tonight and it was fun to see the conclusion.

Very nice Raider. I know those tags are hard to come by. I have a buddy that has some awesome off range private ground hunting and I've hunted with him for 2 years in a row now. I am addicted to these beasts and their meat. Don't dare give to much away.

My Gemsbok (Oryx) hunted in Namibia. Photograper: Hennie Cilliers.
180 meters. 7 mm Tombi with 162 Hornady SST. Head shot.

Attachments

• _MG_4136.jpg
    _MG_4136.jpg
    940.3 KB · Views: 103
  • _MG_4137.jpg
    _MG_4137.jpg
    911.9 KB · Views: 104
  • _MG_4138.jpg
    _MG_4138.jpg
    905.7 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.