Flattest Shooting Hunting Bullet 257 Weatherby Vanguard 26" pipe

They were talking about the Creedmore vs the Wby, which does the OP no good since he didn't ask about the creedmore. Hell, I could spout numbers about the 7mm Allen Magnum, but that won't do the OP any good either.

I wish the guys would stick to the OP's orig question so he could get good information.
It's typical of the man-bun cr€€d crowd, just trying to find a way to let the world know that they too have got a fanny pack rifle. 😂

And many of us common folk, although we like maximizing our possibilities and shooting ability at RANGE, are more likely to shoot at 300-600 yards than 1000. And the 25-06 as well as the .257 Bee surpass any CM at those practical distances, with 100 Swifts, 110 AB or VLDs, or 115 BT or Burgers which are fairly easy to find (usually)!!

It's not drop numbers. Those are wind drift at 1000 yards in moa. The Creed or sub in any 6.5 you like reference is just showing how bad the bc hampers the 25s. Even when they start 500 fps faster. Im a huge 257wby fan but at the present if you have a 10 twist barrel the bullets just don't have the bc to shoot long range. The 257wby is one of the flattest out to 500 yards but once you get there it's pretty much done. Even the 100gr Nosler BT at 3700fps only carries 1200 ft pounds to 550 yards. Even the lowly Creed with a 147 at 2700 carries 1200 to 650 yards. And if you run them at 2900 with rl26 add another 100 yards to that. This just shows you what high bc bullets do. They maintain speed much farther down range. And wind drift numbers are even crazy less. The 131 BJ changes all this if you have a twist capable. When there are more high bc bullets available for the 257 and we all change barrels it will be the long range gun it always could have been. But those low bc bullets didn't stop me from killing over 60 deer with my 257roys.
Last time I placed an order for taco bell they ask if I would like a side of 6.5 creeds to go along with my chalupas.
Shep

If you read post number 12 you will see I already gave my answer to the op. He wanted a bullet to do 700 yards in a 257. Well there aren't many. The bc is too low. If hearing the word Creed hurts your feelings then your feeling are going to be hurt for a long time.
Shep

I always liked the 257 Roberts so I got my wife a 25WSSM Model 70 SS Ultimate Shadow MOBO when that cartridge first came out with the thought she would use it for deer sized animals and I could use for coyote. Flat shooting and almost the same ballistics as a 25-06. Loaded with 110 Accubonds getting 3050fps. Another cartridge that fizzled out. She killed several whitetails and an impala in Africa with it. When we got back from Africa the rifle started grouping all over. Sent it back to Winchester and they would not return it. Said for safety reasons and they were not making that caliber anymore, but would replace with an A-Bolt. Wanted my money back and took a big loss. Browning would only give me wholesale price. This was the time when Winchester was being bought by Browning. I "Heard" that disgruntled employees were scoring inside of the rifling so the rifles didn't shoot accurately. Who knows. Well got some money back and bought her a Kimber 270WSM.

As long as we are talking about bullets being made from unobtainium, here's another bullet or two. I've got loads for my Vanguard and and Mark V using Richards (Wildcat Bullets) R.B.B.T. U.L.D. 125g bullet for the Vanguard and his R.B.B.T. U.L.D. 130g bonded bullet in the Mark V. I've shot an antelope at a hair over 700 with the 130g bullet and it performed just fine.

But that doesn't do the OP any good.

To the OP, look at the Hammer Hunter in 92/93 grain size or the 90g Absolute Hammer.
I agree Out of My 25-06 AI with a 23.5" Tube I ran the 92gHH's@ 3712 and the AH's in the low 3900's, I would think it would run the same in a 26" tube Bee, Super flat and the hit like a freight train

If you read post number 12 you will see I already gave my answer to the op. He wanted a bullet to do 700 yards in a 257. Well there aren't many. The bc is too low. If hearing the word Creed hurts your feelings then your feeling are going to be hurt for a long time.
Shep
Ya the 10 twist really limits bullet length/weight in the .257 for sure. Like the .270 win/wsm, you'd need an aftermarket barrel to get the best long heavy high bc bullets to work. Definitely a negative for certain cartridges. Also why the 6.5/7/30s have excelled in this area.

Winchester is fixing the 270 issue with the new cartridge. Maybe they will bring several new high bc bullets to the 270 crowd. I think wby should start putting 8 twist on the Roy from the factory. Then maybe us 25 fans won't be so neglected. Anyone have a link to those Richard bullets. I haven't heard of them before. Hard to pull the trigger on a barrel change when your bullet selection is so little.
Shep

Shep
It don't hurt my feelings a bit, I've showed a couple of guy's that thought if you bought a Needmoore with a Vortex scope that you automatically turned in to Carlos Hathcock that it doesn't, and I'm a 3/4moa shooter at the best

Winchester is fixing the 270 issue with the new cartridge. Maybe they will bring several new high bc bullets to the 270 crowd. I think wby should start putting 8 twist on the Roy from the factory. Then maybe us 25 fans won't be so neglected. Anyone have a link to those Richard bullets. I haven't heard of them before. Hard to pull the trigger on a barrel change when your bullet selection is so little.
Shep
Is there a down-side to an 8 twist with 90 to 110 grain bullets?

I guess with the sensitivity of some people the politically correct thing to have done would have been to say look how much better the high bc on 6.5s do compared to our lowly 257 bcs. I used the crudmoor in the example because it's a turd. A turd that beats my 257 wbys at long range. That why I now have several creeds and a 6.5 saum and a 6.5x257wby and a 6.5x284 on deck. I still have 3 257roys and always will have one of more of them. The next one definitely will have an 8 twist on it.
Shep

I don't know with the bigger bullets if it's an issue but I shoot 65 gn v maxes at 4100 fps in an 8 twist and they love finding ground hogs. The bigger diameter bullets might have enough mass to make jackets fail if spun too fast. I don't know.
Shep

I don't know with the bigger bullets if it's an issue but I shoot 65 gn v maxes at 4100 fps in an 8 twist and they love finding ground hogs. The bigger diameter bullets might have enough mass to make jackets fail if spun too fast. I don't know.
Shep
I've got one buddy shooting a 25 Creedmoor. He's shooting the 100-131s with a 7.5 twist and there are zero downsides unless the downside is RPMs. Possibly bullet separation ? He hasn't had that issue yet either. It's no speed demon like the .257 Wby, but it shoots .25-.50 with all he's shot thru it

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.