257 weatherby bullet choice

110 grain Accubond and RL22 will give you 3500fps accurately and kill medium game with authority. I feel more confident with the 115 barnes for elk though.

I can't tell, are you loading your own or buying factory? I've loaded several different brands of ballistic bullets and found 100 grain TSX Barnes work best for me but I've only used them on Antelope, out to 700

I am handloading.

When I was using a .257 Wby almost exclusively for Deer I used two bullets (hand loads) the Nosler 100gr Ballistic Tip and the Barnes 100gr XLC blue-coated bullet now discontinued, I had my best luck with the XLC as fast as I get safely get them going. It seems Barnes dropped the blue-coated bullets due to lack of performance, in my case I didn't find that so, in fact, I use Barnes 50gr Varmint blue coated bullet (also discontinued) in my .224 Wby with phenomenal accuracy and performance... but I digress, I'd say the 100gr bullet as to the question asked.

Hunting and cheaper has never been a conclusion I aim for. If I draw one tag a year I'm lucky so my one shot is invaluable to me. It takes me 7 years to draw for elk...:mad:, so I hunt out of state. If that bullet cost $1 and load development cost $40, I consider that to be a worthy investment. But to each his own.

Staying with the bullets which have a lower price, I can strongly suggest either the Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frame or the Scirocco II for failsafe performance on deer or elk. In addition I've had excellent performance from the Berger Hunter VLD. I generally stick to the slightly heavier 115 grain bullets just because I can. These will often run around the 3,400 fps mark as opposed to your 3,500 fps.

Enjoy the process!;):D

I only shoot Scirocco II they've never failed me. 100gr at 3550 fps

I recently acquired a 257 weatherby that I plan on using for antelope and mule deer out to 500 yards. I want to start load development soon and am trying to decide which bullet I want to use.

I'm leaning towards 100 grain bullets at around 3500 fps. For those of you who have experience with this cartridge, should I use a premium bullet ( barnes, scirocco II, partition ect.) Or will any of the cheaper bullets work just as well?
Have a RC MK5 loves the Barnes TTSX and shoots .4 with a 5-shot string. Have yet to have any animal take a step... nary a one! Barnes makes phenomenal bullets that work flawlessly... good luck & good shooting!

Hunting and cheaper has never been a conclusion I aim for. If I draw one tag a year I'm lucky so my one shot is invaluable to me. It takes me 7 years to draw for elk...:mad:, so I hunt out of state. If that bullet cost $1 and load development cost $40, I consider that to be a worthy investment. But to each his own.

Staying with the bullets which have a lower price, I can strongly suggest either the Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frame or the Scirocco II for failsafe performance on deer or elk. In addition I've had excellent performance from the Berger Hunter VLD. I generally stick to the slightly heavier 115 grain bullets just because I can. These will often run around the 3,400 fps mark as opposed to your 3,500 fps.

Enjoy the process!;):D
I agree, 115 grain

I agree with the Hammer bullet choice! I've been shooting 257 WBY for years and different bullets, and I have seen the results from the Hammers and they really are incredible!
Try them

I took my rifle to the range and shot 3 different factory loads.
100 gr sp
110 gr accubond
120 gr partition

It definitely preferred the 100 gr sp.
I think I'm going to start load development with 100 gr ttsx and ramshot magnum, but not until it cools down considerably. Even early mornings are miserable right now with the humidity.

Thanks for all the input.

I agree with the Hammer bullet choice! I've been shooting 257 WBY for years and different bullets, and I have seen the results from the Hammers and they really are incredible!
Try them
Which Hammer bullet in the 257WBY? Anything over 100 grains recommends a faster twist than standard 1:10. Were you able to stabilize the 103 or heavier bullets? Or do you have a faster twist barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.