257 Weatherby bullet recommendations?

Barnes 100gr ttsx, using MagPro or H1000 has done wonders for me in my MKV.

Regards,
Erik

I don't have any 25s or personal experience, but I have heard guys having success with 110gr Nosler AccuBonds. They are a stout bullet and also have a better BC than most tough bullets for .25 caliber.

A few years ago LongTimeLong Ranger posted 75.5gr MagPro @ 3760fps with a 100gr TSX. Obviously I backed the charge down for initial load development and found great accuracy between 72.5 and 73 with a 100 grain TTSX. The average speed was chrono'd at approx 3600fps. I went on to push it a lot harder looking for another accuracy node. I found one that was averaging 3700fps but I began to see pressure signs. I don't know what length barrel he was using but mine is a stock 26inch. As always, this load was safe in MY rifle. It is not a recommendation for anyone else.

Regards
Erik

600BP
Thanx! I was looking for some info on that powder and bullet, its always good to hear of a load that worked for somebody. Ill start my work up tomorrow! I have the 24" so will be happy at 3500 but who knows, maybe I got lucky and got a quick barrel.

Am I safe in assuming the data would be the same or very close with the TTSX? I plan to switch to that for the better bc as soon as i can find it.

I started over when I switched to the TTSX. Usually it's a good idea. My powder charge changed a little but not much. As with most Barnes bullets, mine preferred a pretty good jump before I started seeing bug holes. YMMV.

If that doesn't work try H1000. The best overall powder I found for this round was RE22. Unfortunately it was very temp sensitive.

Best of luck,
Erik

Thanks 600PB. I hear ya, I always drop a couple grains and work back up. Just in case.

Appreciate the info on powders.It dont get way below freezing cold here much but it does get hot and the temp swings are lows in 20's to highs in 110 and even above. I shoot in all of it. I have had a winter time load lock the lever of a 308 in august so Ive been switching to stable powders one by one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts