257 weatherby bullet choice

emtyhopper

I recently acquired a 257 weatherby that I plan on using for antelope and mule deer out to 500 yards. I want to start load development soon and am trying to decide which bullet I want to use.

I'm leaning towards 100 grain bullets at around 3500 fps. For those of you who have experience with this cartridge, should I use a premium bullet ( barnes, scirocco II, partition ect.) Or will any of the cheaper bullets work just as well?

I'd try the 92 grain Hammer Hunter. Other bullets will certainly work for antelope, but the Hammers generally easy to find a load for, and foul less. Fewer rounds load developing off sets some of the cost, and saves barrel wear.

It is your choice. I have mentioned this before:

Five of us use the 257 Weatherby with 115 Berger VLD hunting bullet.
To date we have taken:

25 coues wt
6 elk
4 mule deer
2 antelope (hard to get tags in Az)
2 javelina

The coues are very similar in size to an antelope. There have been some very spectacular DRTs with this chambering and the VLD.

I'm leaning towards 100 grain bullets at around 3500 fps. For those of you who have experience with this cartridge, should I use a premium bullet ( barnes, scirocco II, partition ect.) Or will any of the cheaper bullets work just as well?

Hunting and cheaper has never been a conclusion I aim for. If I draw one tag a year I'm lucky so my one shot is invaluable to me. It takes me 7 years to draw for elk...:mad:, so I hunt out of state. If that bullet cost $1 and load development cost $40, I consider that to be a worthy investment. But to each his own.

Staying with the bullets which have a lower price, I can strongly suggest either the Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frame or the Scirocco II for failsafe performance on deer or elk. In addition I've had excellent performance from the Berger Hunter VLD. I generally stick to the slightly heavier 115 grain bullets just because I can. These will often run around the 3,400 fps mark as opposed to your 3,500 fps.

Enjoy the process!;):D

The hammer hunter looks great, I just can't spend $1+ per bullet for my uses.
With the price of Weatherby ammunition, I wouldn't be worried about the cost of premium bullets to load.....like HARPERC said, your cost will be offset due to Hammers being so easy to develop a load with. I've converted many of my rifles over to them and have developed loads with as few as 9 rounds.....they're extremely accurate and they've really "Hammered" everything I've shot with them.

I think for deer and antelope, it won't make that much difference. My 257 Wby is on its third barrel, I have killed numerous deer and varmints, Mostly with 100 grain bullets - Ballistic Tips, Barnes, Sierras, Hornadys. Recently I have used the 115 Berger and Ballistic Tips. For the ranges out to 500 yards, I would lean towards the 115 grain bullets. There have been a lot of guys that swear by the 87 grain bullets! But really - just find the load that shoots good in your rifle.
Gary

When I had mine I used the 115 ballistic tip that are loaded by the factory. I also was going to use a 120 or 117 grain I think it was a game king or the likes but now I would go with the 115 Berger or the 110 accubond. Now if you had something like a 1-8 twist then there are some 130's on the market now I just don't remember who makes them. I would bet the 257 could push them around 3100 or better also.

Hunting and cheaper has never been a conclusion I aim for. If I draw one tag a year I'm lucky so my one shot is invaluable to me. It takes me 7 years to draw for elk...:mad:, so I hunt out of state. If that bullet cost $1 and load development cost $40, I consider that to be a worthy investment. But to each his own

I somewhat agree with you, but I have a lot more going on than just working up a load for this rifle and going on one hunt. If I could do it for $40 that would be great though!
It seems to me that one of the slightly cheaper, but still very expensive bullets should still work wonderfully.

IMG_3586.JPG
My wildcat has similar h20 to the 257 Wby but fits in a short action, I'll be messing with the 140 gr Chinchaga bullet here soon, got 500 pcs a while back and have 1200 of the 131 Blackjack Ace bullets, just gotta have my gun finished first

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.