257 Weatherby bullet depth

baydog

Hello. I'm working on finding a good rescipe for a new Remington 700CDL in a 257wby caliber. This is a awesome little gun. I bought a box of new wby ammo so i could bring it home put a scope on and start shooting. The gun is shooting shooting great. So now I'm working on a rescipe for reloading. Bought a box of Nosler brass and a box of 115gr Nosler ballistic tips to get started and find out that the gun has all the throat space in the world! I barley started the bullet in the case for a dummy round and tried chambering it and the bolt closed no problem. the bullet is not touching the lanns in any kinda way. So I can extend the bullet out a long ways but I kinda got a rule of thumb to seat the bullet at least the length of the neck..and I do like to use a lite crimp just because I feel i get a bit more consistent release of the bullet when it does launch. Does anyone extended the bullet any further out than the lenght of the neck of the case and get good consistent groups?
Thanks

baydog

this is copy of the Wby free bore

What is the throat length (free bore) on your Weatherby rifles chambered for Weatherby magnum calibers?
Cartridge Throat length (free bore)
.224 Weatherby Magnum .162
.240 Weatherby Magnum .169
.257 Weatherby Magnum .378
.270 Weatherby Magnum .378
7MM Weatherby Magnum .378
.300 Weatherby Magnum .361
.340 Weatherby Magnum .373
.375 Weatherby Magnum .373
.378 Weatherby Magnum .756
.416 Weatherby Magnum .239
.460 Weatherby Magnum .756
.30-378 Weatherby Magnum .361
.338-378 Weatherby Magnum .361

You may never touch land with that free bore and factory ammo OAL is 3.250". If you have Nosler manual they have tech information on loading for the 257 Wby. I had 270 Wby build and it's custom throated so I can't shoot factory ammo so my loading data wouldn't help you and sure someone here help you.

I always have at least a full caliber of bullet seated in the neck. I do not crimp any rifle ammo.

My O.A.C.L. is 3.400 but if I don't want to use the full neck I have plenty of room to strech it out of the case more just usely don't have this must room to where to far isn't a issue as far as touching the lanns

My O.A.C.L. is 3.400 but if I don't want to use the full neck I have plenty of room to strech it out of the case more just usely don't have this must room to where to far isn't a issue as far as touching the lanns

I'm just under that OAL. You can basically load them as long as they fit in the mag well and fees then start your load work. Mine shoots sub 1" groups at 200 with this method

Wow! i'll take 1" group at 200 yard all day long! I got plenty of room to seat the bullet out of the case. thats why i was useing my rule of thumb and seating the bullet in the case the length of the neck...not sre how good of a rule of thumb that is...

Thanks roninflag...So are you saying that since this is a .25 caliber by your rule of thumb you would at least start as deep in the neck of the case as the bullet is round?? .25 deep in the case?
Thanks

bay, my best accuracy at 200yds has the bullet seated farther in than 3.40 and I never crimp this caliber.

my .257 is not Remington. mark v. it is pretty . it shoot fast and inaccurately. tried 15-20 different loads. 3 shots sometimes less than one moa. 4 shots always a flyer.

I've had good accuracy and vel with Sierra's 117 gr gameking or pro-hunter with RL-22 and an oal of 3.265. Accuracy is always about .75 moa and vel is appx 3350ft/sec with either bullets in my Vanguard. Same with the 120 Gameking. Looking over my notes on this caliber it seems 3.265 oal is good with several different bullets in my rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.