257 weatherby bullet choice

The hammer hunter looks great, I just can't spend $1+ per bullet for my uses.

I know they look expensive up front but they flat out shoot. I've found sub .5 MOA accuracy with them in as little as 6 rounds of load development. I'd bet you can find a sub MOA load with them in less than 20 shots. That saved barrel life, brass and powder spent trying to tune loads with more finicky bullets.

Antelope equals open country and wind. Heavier bullet with a good B.C. is of benefit in those conditions. You can range accurately for distance, judging wind drift is a bunch trickier. Hornady 110 ELDX or the 117 BTSP Interlock or SST are my choices for my 257 Bee.

I tried a few different loads including cutting edge but my rifle loves the 100 grain TTSX with 7828 SSC . So far the performance on game has been fairly impressive mule deer and antelope to 650 yards.Here in California we are now lead free so that was part of the reason for the ttsx.

I recently acquired a 257 weatherby that I plan on using for antelope and mule deer out to 500 yards. I want to start load development soon and am trying to decide which bullet I want to use.

I'm leaning towards 100 grain bullets at around 3500 fps. For those of you who have experience with this cartridge, should I use a premium bullet ( barnes, scirocco II, partition ect.) Or will any of the cheaper bullets work just as well?
I shoot 100 grain partitions had my 257 Weatherby rebarreled it will not shot long bullets load with I m r 4350 getting 3700 fps kills great

Another vote for 110g accubonds. I'm shooting them over 3600 with great accuracy. They are devastating on deer! However, they are hard on meat with misplaced shots.

You might want to take a look at the JLK 108 grain VLD with a .500 BC for your open country hunting....

I can't tell, are you loading your own or buying factory? I've loaded several different brands of ballistic bullets and found 100 grain TSX Barnes work best for me but I've only used them on Antelope, out to 700 yards.

TIPPED TSX RIFLE BULLETS
100-PERCENT COPPER BODY
Since its introduction in 2003, Barnes' TSX Bullet has earned a reputation as "the perfect hunting bullet." Now, Barnes has improved on perfection by adding a streamlined polymer tip. The new Tipped TSX features the same 100-percent copper body with multiple rings cut into the shank. It delivers the same gnat's-eyelash accuracy and "dead right there" performance—but with an added polymer tip that boosts BC and improves long-range ballistics. The tip and a re-engineered nose cavity provide even faster expansion. Complete penetration, virtually 100-percent weight retention and four razor-sharp cutting petals that double bullet diameter means the new Tipped TSX creates more internal damage than any competing bullet. Instant expansion and perfect penetration ensures cleaner, quicker kills. The Barnes Tipped TSX—accept no imitations.

• 100% lead-free
  • Grooved for lower pressures
  • Higher ballistic coefficient
  • Deadly accuracy
  • 99-100% weight retention

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.