257 Weatherby

wilkup

I've always had a love for this cartridge and finally was able to buy one of my own.
Who uses this round?
What game do you consider it good for?
I just got my new Mark V set up with a load pushing the 92gr Hammer Hunter with RL19 to 3793fps. I'm planning to use it for everything this fall - deer, bear, elk, lion.

257wby was my first rifle. I've killed lots of stuff with it. Elk, Shiras Moose, Barbary sheep, and few truckloads of pigs, deer, and coyotes. It kills better than it should (at least according to keyboard ballisticians.) My load of choice was the 100ttsx, but that was before I learned about Hammer Bullets. I'm currently testing the 128's in a 1:7 twist Howage I put together. If I had a 1:10 twist I'd probably use the 98 Sledge Hammers. But nearly 3800fps with the 92gr will surely be a lightning rod for anything out to 500yds.

Thanks for your input. I chose the 92gr Hunters per Steve's recommendations. I originally planned to try the 98gr Sledges, but he said the increased BC of the lighter bullet was a better option. I figure I'll be trying out those heavier 128gr Hunters with my next barrel this rifle wears. I figure to limit my shots to 600 yards with this rifle and should have plenty of grunt left to do the job with a well placed shot.

I've had a 257 for several years now and really like the round. Very accurate, not a great amount of recoil, etc. While I use mine for deer, bear and sometimes on a moose hunt, I would rethink it's use for lion. JMO

Wilkup,

Congrats on your recent aquisition. The .257 bee is an incredible cartridge. I love mine!

Mine is an Accumark with the factory brake on it. It's crazy accurate, way better than I am.

I've only used it on two hunts and was fortunate enough to take a real nice Muley and Whitetail. The Muley was at 52 yards and I hit it in the neck and the bullet exploded and never exited. The Whitetail was lazered at 390 yards and it only took about three steps. I think both were factor 110 gr. Accubond and both were one shot kills.

I think it is an absolutely excellent deer and antelope gun. I have a number of other rifles and I think a couple of them might be better for elk, bear and lion though.

It's still a "great" rifle that I will never sell. One of my sons will end up with it.

Myself and four friends all shoot the 257 Weatherby with 115 Berger VLDs. Just shot mine yesterday to verify for upcoming coues wt hunt.

I have hunted coues wt for 36 years and IMO there is nothing that matches the combination of flat trajectory, mild recoil and downrange mash'um flat performance of this round.

To date we have taken the following animals:

26 coues wt
6 Elk
4 mule deer
2 antelope
2 javelina

I've had a 257 for several years now and really like the round. Very accurate, not a great amount of recoil, etc. While I use mine for deer, bear and sometimes on a moose hunt, I would rethink it's use for lion. JMO
Lions get shot with .223s and up around here. I think my 257 should knock the pudding out of one should I get an opportunity this year.

This (.257 Wby Mag) has been one of my favorite Deer cartridges over my many year's hunting, plus at times it was a monster Coyote cartridge in my MkV Weatherbys. Easy to load for an extremely accurate, what's not to like about it, don't overheat the barrel, and keep it clean, I never burned one up or shot one out.

I love mine it's a semi custom from bob hart with a 28" tube. I've shot piles of deer and pigs with it out past 600 yards. I wish hammers were around when I built it. Or I knew more about this stuff when I had it barrel as it has a 10 twist. But 115 bt at 3450fps if good medicine for about anything. The hammers will make it much better for big game. The hammer guys took a eland with it and the hammers and it went down fine. Won't find anything that tough in the states so I think you are good.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.