257 Weatherby?

to me a 100 fps is a 100 fps. Powder cost is pretty minor. If you can afford a weatherby or a custom rifle in 2506ai you sure arent going to quibble about the cost of 10 grains of powder. the o6 beats out the 08 by about the same and the 250 savage is upped by the roberts by about the same and nobody claims that 100 or so fps isnt valuable there. I guess if im hunting where it doesnt matter then a normal 2506 will do just fine and if im hunting where every little advantage is real then i want the faster of the bunch. Im not saying the AI is a waste. It certianly a viable long range gun. But like i said i can at least recoup my money back out of a weatherby. Rechamber something like a rem 700 or a win 70 to AI and it makes it worth less then the gun originaly was worth. At least where i live. I guess everyone has there own thoughts on this and probably no one is wrong here.
I don't look at it in terms of selling guns and recooping my money, because I don't sell guns. I've sold 2 guns in my life, because I had to have money THAT day, to pay bills. But other than that, I don't sell guns, because most of mine are bolt-actions and they can be easily converted into something else with a simple rebarrel.

Yes, 10 gr of powder isn't much, but 10 grains is 10 grains. That's only 10 fps gained per grain of powder. That's not much.

As far as which cartridge is better, I would have to say being they are similar in velocity, it's a toss-up. But as far as efficiency and cheaper to load for, the .25-06 AI gets that award. Plus, you can buy .270 Win brass for pennies on the dollar, compared to $3.00 a pop for new .257 Wby brass. Which is why I shot factory ammo first, and gathered up plety of brass before reloading. At the time I started shooting my .257 Wby (2008), 20 pcs of new brass was about $10 cheaper than just buying factory loaded Wby 110 Accubond ammo. So I bought the factory loaded stuff.

Now that I have a nice brass supply, I don't count brass into my reloading equation. So the only difference for me is 10 grains of powder, and 210M vs 215M primers. And primers cost the same at my local GS.

But I still look at it from a logical standpoint. The .257 Wby does have significantly more recoil, muzzle blast, and shorter throat life than the .25-06 AI. Those are proven facts. How much shorter throat life, I don't know. But I do know when you factor in 10-15 more grains of powder that's alot more burn time, which means more flame on the throat. Therefore tha will decrease throat life.

just looked in Ackeleys own book and he has loads for the 257 that do 3600 plus with a 100 grain bullet. Will your 2506ai do that?

just looked in Ackeleys own book and he has loads for the 257 that do 3600 plus with a 100 grain bullet. Will your 2506ai do that?
I don't shoot 100 grain bullets, so I have no idea.

Why are you being combative about this? It's just a **** caliber...You don't have to defend it tooth and nail to the bitter end... I like the .257 Wby, but this is the same arguement that I get with people who say the 7RUM is SO MUCH faster than the 7mm STW is....And the fact is, it's not that much faster, and if it is, it took 10-15 more grains of powder to do so.

Face facts, some designs are more efficient than others. How else can a 7mm RemMag hang in there with a 7mm STW? Or better yet, how can a 7 WSM hang in there with a 7mm STW in velocty with the same bullets? Or a .30-06 AI almost catch a .300 WM... Some case designs are more efficient than others. Roy Weatherby was a genious for his time.....But so was Parker Otto Ackley.

I know my 115 Berger loads are showing about equal pressure signs on my primers, with both calibers, and the .257 Wby is at 3,300 and the .25-06 AI might be 20 fps behind it....Maybe. 20 fps is zip to argue over.

There's been a few guys on here that have had .25-06 AI's pushing 115's around 3,400+ (read back in some old threads)....But I haven't tried to push my rifle that fast. I want my barrel to last.

certainly not combatant about it. Ive got guns in MANY differnt caliber both rifle and handgun. Youll find me switching guns sometimes every day. Seems that you are trying to prove something here not me. I guess sometimes i tire with people trying to make a gun what it isnt. I see all the time on these threads where someone claims his 308 is everything an 06 is or his 06 is everything a 300 win mag is and that a 300 win will do everything a 300 wby will and the wby will do what the altra will. Bottom line is case capasity will give velocity. Fact of life. More powder more speed. Smaller cases are more effiecent no doubt but if thats the only criteria in picking a round wed all be using 22 hornets or still using 3030s. I dont believe theres any magic in the shape of a cartridge. At least not that is measurable in performance in the field. . Be it a wby, ackeley, short mag, long mag ect. I buy my powder usually at least 16lbs at a time of any given powder. If i burn 10 more grains of powder I can recoup that cost by walking up and checking my targets instead of driving the jeep the 100 yards. I probably save that much of a percentage by buying in bulk anyway if it meant anything to me. No theres absolutely nothing wrong with a 25-06ao. I have two plain 25-06s and to be honest its one of my favorite calibers and if push came to shove and i could only keep one centerfire rifle it would be my ruger 1b 2506. Dont know how many deer that gun has taken but its a pile anyway. It was the first gun i ever bought specificaly for shooting deer at long range. The load i use in it pushes a 100 grain sierra to 3250 fps and it kills like lightning out to 350 or so. It will do 3/4 of an inch for 5 shots at a 100 all day long. Its the most accurate #1 ive owned. Beautiful wood to boot. Wood and blued steal!! but thats an arugment for another day.

I think people need to try the 100 gr ttsx stoked with a Mag primer and a very compressed load of rl 25. You can not get enough rl 25 in the brass to come close to overpressuring with a 100 gr pill. If you modifiy the throat to maximize the coal for the magazine ( gives you as much if not more case capacity as a ackly), and freebore for the Solid copper bullet which is cheap and easily done. This cartridge will run with the Weatherby with this one powder. And this is not in wildcat form! It is a standard 25 06 and needs no fireforming. I totally agree that the 257 Weatherby is much safer and easier to obtain higher velocities with most magnum powders. The Weatherby will have its ability to pick and choose which powders you want to use, especially with temp stable powders which rl 25 is not.

We've completely lost track of the OP.

I prefer Mark V. Have both. Have not worked with the 257 Mark V and no Vanguards in 257. Two buddies got their Utah public land deer with a VG in 257wby. Break in group for that rifle was 3/8" cloverleaf.

If you like Mark Vs its worth the $ but it appears the VG will put your tag where it belongs.

Fact of life. More powder more speed. Smaller cases are more effiecent no doubt but if thats the only criteria in picking a round wed all be using 22 hornets or still using 3030s. I dont believe theres any magic in the shape of a cartridge. At least not that is measurable in performance in the field.

I disagree with this statement. I believe the shape of the case is extremely important, and that it can be proved in the field with accuracy, velocity, and barrel wear.

Have been thinking about getting a 257 Weatherby. What does everyone think of this caliber? Also is the extra money worth the Mark V for the 26 inch barrel or is the Vangard 2 with the 24 inch barrel sufficient?

Deer,

If you want to maximize the performance of the 257, go with a Mark V. I've owned both and ended up cannibalizing the Vanguard to build a custom 257 Wby with a 26 in barrel. Some of the Vanny's have fast barrels from the factory and will give you 26 speeds, but you never know until after you buy it. My Vanguard unfortunately wasn't one of those.

You've picked a great cartridge. The 257 is an absolute terror in the field. I suggest shooting the heavier bullets. The heavies really make the 257 shine. I like the 115 Ballistic Tip and the 115 Berger VLD. They're 2 of the highest BC, 25 cal bullets available and allow you to really stretch the effective range. Lots of people praise the TTSX, but it has the BC of a barn door. Also, I've found the Ballistic Tip and Berger VLD to be plenty tough for thin skinned game like Whitetails and Hogs...even at Weatherby speeds. I run the 115's at 3450.

Good luck with your decision. Either way, you'll be happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.