257 Weatherby

baydog

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great load data and opinions on how flat the .257 weatherby would shoot. I ended up buying a Remington model 700CDL chambered in 257 weatherby with a 26" stainless fluted barrel. This is a awesome little gun! I asked the question.. "Will the 257 shoot 200 yards flat" ...Well I'm here to tell ya everyone was right. The gun shoots as good at 200 yards as it does at 100 yards..I bought a box of 100 grain store bought weatherby ammo when I picked the gun up just so i could get started with the gun quick, and it shoots great. Only mistake I made was I really don't feel like I put enough scope on the gun. 3x9x50mm vari-x-2 leupold ...I have a range set up at home where I can strech out to 260 yard and it shoots as good at 260yrd as it does at 100yrd. So like the rest of me and my old body, my eyes ain't one of my strongest points anymore and this gun will shoot further than I can see with the leupold 3x9x50mm ... Never have gone wrong buying any Leupold product and nothing wrong with this scope just didn't expect this 257 to shoot as good as it does but that's ok...Looks like my son is gonna be getting a scope upgrade for his Little .243 And i will be stepping up for this great little .257 gun. . Wow what a great caliber! Now to start working up a load that the gun likes is my next step..
Thanks again
Baydog

Just wait until you start shooting game with it you will be :D. By the way 260 yards is a chip shot with the 257 mag. From my experience with these fast velocity rifles I would give the Nosler 110 Accubond a try. It does a fine job close in and far away.

Thanks RT2506...I've always shot the nosler balistic tips in almost everything i've owned until this year. I have 4 rifles I'm loading for now, 7mm mag Sendero -300rum Sendero-.243 model 7- and now this .257 weatherby 700CDL. Yep all Remingtons.. The 7 mm mag seeems to like the 140gr balistic tips with the IMR 4350 powder very accurate out to 300 yard, I mean this gun is a meat magnet good gun..the 243 seems to be ok with the 90gr balistic tips after 200 yards starts to drop like a rock using the IMR 4350 but the 300rum it took me 3 years to find a better rescipe that the gun would shoot consistent and that is with the H1000 powder and the 200gr Accubond. I tried the ballistic tips in diffrent grain weights and the first change that made a noticeable diffrence was going to the H1000 powder but what tigthen the group up seems like the most is the 200gr Accubonds. I shot this 300rum for 2 years without much confidence but now If I feel that when I'm deer hunting if i can see the deer I got a chance. Yes the H1000 helped but I think the Accubonds are a better flying bullet and will be trying them in everything i hunt with. I like the way they fly and the way they stay together and flatten out upon impact. They stay in one piece and seems to always be a bang flop shot because of the path it makes through the deer...The ballistic tip seem to break up SOMETImES upon impact but I think thats what they're supposed to do. The Accubond has my vote for this 257 wby...Thanks for your help

Wildcater... when you say VX-6 do you mean the Leupold VX-6's cause I think that's probally where i goofed at. The Vx-6 is a way sharper scope seems like than the older Vx-2 just have aiways had good luck with the Vx-2 but with my age changing and my eyes following I think I need to step up the game on scopes. I have a LEUPOLD part#111249 4-12X50 VX-R RIFLE SCOPE BALLSTC FIREDOT on my 300rum and love it but yes it's twice the money.. But i'm also old enough to know better not to settle and to get what ya want the first time so my son will probally be getting a scope upgrade to the vx-2 and hopefully i will upgrade too ..I'm thinking some type of Vx-6 or another scope like I have on my 300rum..Whatever I decide I'm moving up to a 4x12x50
Thanks

baydog,

The nearest VX-6 to a 4-12X50 is 3-18X. The glass in the 3-18X is noticably better than that in the 4-12X. I would venture to speculate the 3-18X will be better in low light also. If they actually have a hydrophobic coating like I read somewhere that would be fantastic. I could see myself getting one in that magnification.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.