Flattest Shooting Hunting Bullet 257 Weatherby Vanguard 26" pipe

Bergers... not fan for a hunting bullet, played with several in .308, they perform out there so to speak but up close, not to sure. Scared at what the 115 vld would do at a 100 yard shot. I like what the 115 grain ballistic tips do out of my 25-06 but at the 257BEE velocities??
I'll say right now and it's on the box of ballistic tips... 3200 is max for them!

I shoot 100 grain Nosler portions at 3700 hit hard and shoots flat . The heavier bullets my gun does not like the keyhole at over 300 yards . I shoot a mark five with a 26 inch barrel shoot 4350 I M R powder shot Antelope at 450 with no problem . I got my gun in 1977 still one of my favorite guns

I'm a Hammer Fan
sir, my name is donovan wilcox. i have a 257 wby mag trued by weatherby. i have been reading your replies etc on hammer bullets. do you have any experience with 257 wby? what would your recommendations be? do you know anyone who is loading the hammers? thanks, donovan

I've only two experiences on game, both beyond 350 yrds and both quite satisfactory, but the ELDX has an excellent BC for a 110gr bullet, and with 7828 I'd get 3450fps from a 24" Vanguard....

sir, my name is donovan wilcox. i have a 257 wby mag trued by weatherby. i have been reading your replies etc on hammer bullets. do you have any experience with 257 wby? what would your recommendations be? do you know anyone who is loading the hammers? thanks, donovan
I've never had a Bee but I've had about everything else in 25 cal although I've always believed in Weatherby's thinking, Overbore and fast bullets, there are lots of great bullets on the market now but as of late I personally have had really great success with Hammers, They have a very good selection of 25 cal bullets, I'm shooting a 25-06 AI at the moment

I've only two experiences on game, both beyond 350 yrds and both quite satisfactory, but the ELDX has an excellent BC for a 110gr bullet, and with 7828 I'd get 3450fps from a 24" Vanguard....
I think the results you got were great because of the bullet design. I do wish a heavier eldx would come out for the 257 caliber. The .465 bc isn't terrible but comparing it to the 108(6mm) bullet at .536, it's not great. Something like a 125-130 eldx would really make the 257 shine. Popularity means alot. Demand also.

So true... Out to 4-500 yards, MV overshadows BC to a great degree. Most of my hunting depends on maximum PBR, so the added velocity from the 110gr was useful. But, I too wish we had readily available good hunting bullets with +.500 BCs.
Absolutely, out to 500 I don't really care what the BC is as long as its screaming

I get 3425fps with 110 accubonds over h4931sc out of a 26" PacNor 1-10". It's pretty much bang flop. I've not taken shots on game past 422 yards but have had stellar results.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.