Favorite caliber for Long range shooting?

My favorite cartridges for long range target is 6.5 Creedmoor out to 1,250 ish yards and 338 LM for much further out. Both of these rifles are MPA's topped with high end glass. Hard to beat the 6.5, very efficient with lots of factory ammo and reloading components readily available.
I think you typed that backwards. The 338lm for out to 1250. Then the creedmore. Why have a Sniper rifle only to use it for short shots.

For me its my MPA 6mm creedmoor . Stupid accurate and topped with Sightron's newer S8. Glass is amazing.
Already perfected the Sierra 107 at 3100 fps .3.
Now I am working with 110gr A-Tip. Got a load that shoots in the .1's but it's slow at just under 3000. Gonna try next node up to get 3100 fps. As long as I keep accurate at under .3.
Seriously it's the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. I am sure it can do better but it's the nuts fault behind the trigger that's to blame.

Years ago, I had a friend who had 500 acres in the Fremont, CA hills. He had a ground squirrel problem and gave me the run on the ranch. Those days I used a custom-built Rem 700 25-06 with a Douglas barrel, no taper. It routinely shot 1/4 minute groups at 100 yards. It was heavy, and I shot off my Dodge power-wagon's hood. These days, I only shoot targets where I can sit at a bench, 80 rough years have taken their toll These days, I shoot a 6.5 CM, sorry about that but it's accurate and fun. For days when I feel good enough, I break out my 338 Lapua. Very accurate and fun to move real estate.

For me 30 caliber preferably 300 prc shooting 245 gr elites.
I've had amazing accuracy to 2000 yards.

Any larger 30 cal would be amazing properly set up for 245 gr bergers

I am really loving how hard the 30 cals hit at distance
It's been a few years since I had 30 calibers and just in the last year I now have three of them and really liking them.

Last edited:
I'm working on a tactical elephant gun right now and trying to find some bullets that have a BC above .25
Look no further..😉
IMG_3854.png

What's everyone favorite long range shooting caliber primarily for some long range courses. Keeping in mind ammo availability and price. Thank you
I too suggest the 6.5 Creedmoor as a great choice for long range classes. Lots of good guns to choose from, and reasonably priced, highly available ammo. The 6.5 Creedmoor gives you a very real ballistic advantage over the 308 Win which is a long time favorite in LR classes. Either are good choices, Creedmoor has an edge.

That being said, I took my first LR 1000 yard classes with my DT SRS 338 LM. They didn't recommend it, and didn't think I would make it through the class because of the heavy recoil, and a 400 round requirement. I did, was sore, had fun, spent a lot of money and passed the class.
The 338 LM with 300 bergers and carefully loaded ammunition had a ballistic advantage over the 308 guns, and made the 1000 yards much easier to hit at for me. I don't recommend it for beginners though!

Factory ammo, and longer strings of fire on a long range course, not hunting with it...
I would say #1 6.5 Creedmoor and #2 .308 win. They have a ton of accurate factory ammo available, they are easy on barrels, and are available almost anywhere. I would have a slightly different choice if it were specifically for longer range hunting, even though either cartridge will kill critters at extended distances.

Recent Posts