Fastest 6.5 out of a 16-18” barrel and SA

We should have fully formed brass in 2-3 weeks!
The SS is no doubt the fastest in a short action!

on the website it does not say out of stock. how do you know when it is in stock and ready to ship? Other then the web address says "pre-order" nothing on the page.

on the website it does not say out of stock. how do you know when it is in stock and ready to ship? Other then the web address says "pre-order" nothing on the page.

Ill post when its priced and ready in a 2-3 weeks

Velocity ladder w 19" 6.5 PRC and 156's attached. 55.7 RL26 was a good load that shot well and was enough under the upper end to be good in all temps In comparison, this same rifle ran the 135 Berger Classics at 3080, and the 140 eldm at 2960. These were all the accuracy nodes. None over pressured

Attachments

• E5F9B54C-7D50-41F4-9B00-6A664185024B.jpeg
    E5F9B54C-7D50-41F4-9B00-6A664185024B.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 200
I am building an ultra light rifle.
My plan:

700 action Skeletonized by MG Arms(takes of 8 oz) or I may go with a pierce TI) Estimated weight of 700 with trigger 23-24 ounces.

x-caliber carbon barrel 18" is 30 ounce, 16" a little less.

MG arms stock 18 ounces finished (super light)

ultralight jet blast muzzle brake - 1.6 oz (if my memory is right)

Total weight with 18" barrel and Skeletonized 700

This will put me right at 4.5 lbs before the scope and close 6 lbs with scope.

I plan to shot 156 Berger's.

I am mostly considering 6.5 SAUM. 6.5 prc could be in the running if I bump up to 20-22".

Any other round I should be considering for a short action. I looked at 6.5 wsm but I run 7 mm wsm with 270 norms brass and keeping them seperate would be annoying. Not to mention I would like to just buy brass that's ready to go. I looked at 6.5 SS but not sure I want to go there.

Anyone handy quickload and can give me an idea of velocity of the 6.5 saum with 156 Berger's in a 16" barrel and a 18" barrel?

I am relatively happy if I can get to 2600 FPS in a short package, maybe even settle for mid 2500s if That meant I could go 16" which puts me at +1000 FPS at 700 yards.

The muzzle brake will add almost 2" to my overall length.

This purpose built and I know I could go with a 22-24" barrel and not worry about it but I want a short light gun in 6.5. My 7WSM is 11 lb with a 28" barrel plus brake.

thanks for any knowledge.

The 6.5 Rem Mag and the 6.5 PRC are the top contenders for velocity in a short action that you can buy Loaded ammo for. the Rem mag does well with 140 class bullets and the PRC does almost the exact same with the 140's, but the PRC has loading data for the heavier bullets, But gives up some velocity with the 150 class of bullets. So your choice is the same performance with ether cartridge. with the newer powders both can be loaded to equal performance.

To get maximum velocity/Energy from a shorter barrel you will probably end up going to a 130 to 140 class bullet.

Example: A 140 class bullet at maximum velocity in a 26" barrel will push 3000 ft/sec velocity for 2798 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

A 153 grain bullet will reach Maximum velocity in a 26" barrel of 2700 ft/sec for 2477 ft/lbs of muzzle energy (321 ft/lbs less than the 140class bullets).

When you shorten a barrel to shoot like cartridges these numbers will decline to some velocity/energy levels close to each other and the results will be proportional based on the Barrel length.

I have built and owned short barrel rifles from 16.5" to 18.5 and the jump to 20" had a large impact on the velocity. I have sense decided that 20" to 22" barrels are as short as I will go If I want any performance.

Just a recommendation :)

J E CUSTOM

The 6.5 Rem Mag and the 6.5 PRC are the top contenders for velocity in a short action that you can buy Loaded ammo for. the Rem mag does well with 140 class bullets and the PRC does almost the exact same with the 140's, but the PRC has loading data for the heavier bullets, But gives up some velocity with the 150 class of bullets. So your choice is the same performance with ether cartridge. with the newer powders both can be loaded to equal performance.

To get maximum velocity/Energy from a shorter barrel you will probably end up going to a 130 to 140 class bullet.

Example: A 140 class bullet at maximum velocity in a 26" barrel will push 3000 ft/sec velocity for 2798 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

A 153 grain bullet will reach Maximum velocity in a 26" barrel of 2700 ft/sec for 2477 ft/lbs of muzzle energy (321 ft/lbs less than the 140class bullets).

When you shorten a barrel to shoot like cartridges these numbers will decline to some velocity/energy levels close to each other and the results will be proportional based on the Barrel length.

I have built and owned short barrel rifles from 16.5" to 18.5 and the jump to 20" had a large impact on the velocity. I have sense decided that 20" to 22" barrels are as short as I will go If I want any performance.

Just a recommendation :)

J E CUSTOM

I am running 28" barrel right now so 20" will still be a big jump. Just like the idea of really short.

I will hunt cow elk with this gun which is why I rather shot 156s.

Velocity ladder w 19" 6.5 PRC and 156's attached. 55.7 RL26 was a good load that shot well and was enough under the upper end to be good in all temps In comparison, this same rifle ran the 135 Berger Classics at 3080, and the 140 eldm at 2960. These were all the accuracy nodes. None over pressured

thus is very help full. Puts PRC back in the list.

I think my plan is going to be go with the PRC and if I can't get it where I want it I may have it opened up to 6.5 SS.

Just need to decide on the length.

You can mock it up with a junk factory take off barrel and cut it off with a hack saw until you like the feel of it. I find that a 20" barrel feels really short and very handy, but I'm used to 26" barrels on most of my rifles.

I am building an ultra light rifle.
My plan:

700 action Skeletonized by MG Arms(takes of 8 oz) or I may go with a pierce TI) Estimated weight of 700 with trigger 23-24 ounces.

x-caliber carbon barrel 18" is 30 ounce, 16" a little less.

MG arms stock 18 ounces finished (super light)

ultralight jet blast muzzle brake - 1.6 oz (if my memory is right)

Total weight with 18" barrel and Skeletonized 700

This will put me right at 4.5 lbs before the scope and close 6 lbs with scope.

I plan to shot 156 Berger's.

I am mostly considering 6.5 SAUM. 6.5 prc could be in the running if I bump up to 20-22".

Any other round I should be considering for a short action. I looked at 6.5 wsm but I run 7 mm wsm with 270 norms brass and keeping them seperate would be annoying. Not to mention I would like to just buy brass that's ready to go. I looked at 6.5 SS but not sure I want to go there.

Anyone handy quickload and can give me an idea of velocity of the 6.5 saum with 156 Berger's in a 16" barrel and a 18" barrel?

I am relatively happy if I can get to 2600 FPS in a short package, maybe even settle for mid 2500s if That meant I could go 16" which puts me at +1000 FPS at 700 yards.

The muzzle brake will add almost 2" to my overall length.

This purpose built and I know I could go with a 22-24" barrel and not worry about it but I want a short light gun in 6.5. My 7WSM is 11 lb with a 28" barrel plus brake.

thanks for any knowledge.

Any bottom metal going on this?

20" SAUM gets almost 3,000 with the 139 scenar. 18" should be over 2,900.

Seems like the same post on the PRC fb page?

I like my PRC well enough but i'd really encourage you to think about the sherman. My prc runs a 156 in 22" at 2915. I run a 135 at 3095. Generally I just say 2900 and 3100. 140-144 are 3040ish. I am like you and want to run even shorter as I run a suppressor. Because of that i'd like to go 16-18. I have a feeling the sherman will run that 135 in the shorter barrel close to my speed in the PRC.

I've read the OP about what you intend to do with the 6.5 RemMag or the 6.5PRC. I would check on availability of brass for the 6.5 RemMag (and cost) if you choose to go that route. The 6.5 SS sounds seems like a good place to go if Rich gets the ADG brass, so no fireforming brass; that can be a PITA for me.. I am a fan of the .270, I have a .270AI and very happy with it. With that said oftentimes the .270 WSM is overlooked. It too has the ballistics that you want to attain, just throwing it out there because you seem to be looking for ideas. Many years ago, when dinosaurs were walking the earth, I owned a 6.5 RemMag in the Remington 600 when it first came out. It had the funny, plastic raised rim on the 16 or 18 inch barrel. It was an extremely accurate rifle, it liked the 140 gr Nosler partition bullets. I shot a lot of deer with that rifle, it was truly lethal on them with that bullet. Good luck with your build.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts