Fastest (elk) round for a SA

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107666

Thinking about snagging a 2nd caliber/barrel for an upcoming SA (6 creed) build.

it's on a tikka, and I will have both mag and standard bolts.

I know you can fit a 7SAUM and 6.5 PRC in a SA mag, but it's limiting performance a bit.

Any recs on what to look at for a hunting round I can load for in a SA....would like to push it near or over 3k

7saum
6.5SST
6.5PRC
7wsm?

I'd like to
Depends on how heavy of a bullet you want. Everything you listed will easily send a mid weight bullet over 3k.
180 bergers if I go 7mm...I'd be fine with some lighter LRX as well. Just no clue how to figure out what speed I can get out of say a 7saum in a SA AICS mag fed rifle

What barrel length are you shooting for?
My 7wsm/24" short action stock win70 will shoot a 168 with rl26 at 3150-- so 180's would be close to 3000, maybe 50 under ( I've not shot any 180s from it yet)
If you go to a 26" it shouldn't be an issue I would think

You said its a tikka-- they arent really short action-- you can just replace the bolt stop and mag for longer load length iirc

Last edited:
Depends on what you plan to hunt with it?
6SST
25SST
6.5SST
6.5SS
6.5PRC/SI ;)
7SS
300SS
Elk our to 800...I'd be comfortable now (I wasn't a believer at first, and i've still personally never done it) taking a 6mm broadside into game out to 500, but I'd prefer to have something slightly larger going the same speed. I looked at the 25SST, just not sure if that's a big enough step up to justify 800-1k in a barrel and gunsmithing to chamber and thread?

I didn't know Sherman was making a 300SS, is it a true SA?...I'd originally thought about a 300prc, but the chassis I ended up with will only mag feed short action mags. I could do the 300 PRC or Norma Mag but I'd he single feed with 2 more on standby in in a SAP holder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lance, out of everything you listed, 6.5SST and up, what would you say is the least picky/most inherently accurate cartridge?

I was all set to build a 25SST to do it all. But lapua brass, SRPs and DTACs being so easy to find right now, I just went with a 6 creed for a new target rifle....thus the need for a 2nd barrel/chamber for big game

Lance, out of everything you listed, 6.5SST and up, what would you say is the least picky/most inherently accurate cartridge?

I was all set to build a 25SST to do it all. But lapua brass, SRPs and DTACs being so easy to find right now, I just went with a 6 creed for a new target rifle....thus the need for a 2nd barrel/chamber for big game
I love my two 6.5 SSs. My 26" pushes a 156 @ 3066 easily with a moderate load of N565. I would feel fine to use it for elk at 800+. Just my opinion. It definitely has the retained velocity and energy at that distance where we hunt elk.

I have a 24" 7SS that pushes a 184 Hyb @ 2928fps. It is wicked accurate and is going elk hunting in 3 days.

I have found the SSTs and SSs to be very easy to find, and maintain a load for.

I am working on a brand new cartridge too. Only 3 week old baby. The 6.5PRC/SI (Sherman Imp).
It is right there with a 6.5SST. With a 22" barrel, with H1000, I have hit 3013fps with no pressure, but that is right about max. .5gr more started to show a touch of bolt lift. All in a true SA still.

Also, if you run a 7wsm in a short action the new 7 Mega will run in one as well. even though both are much better in a medium or long action.
My 7 MEGA runs a 180 at an easy 3180 in a long action with a 25" barrel so even if you lost 100' you could still run well over 3000, and you WOULDN'T lose 100'. In a Tikka, the MEGA is a no brainer for top performance!
My elk load this year was a 195 at 3040

Last edited: