Fastest 6.5 out of a 16-18” barrel and SA

I was just throwing out a differing opinion.
I didn't know you were intending to stretch it out to 800 yards with a 4.5lb rifle.
I assumed that with that light of a rifle and 16-18" barrel this was a short handy rifle for thicker timber.
Most would agree a 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor are about equals killing wise under 500.
with a 16" barrel your going to be closer velocity wise to a 6.5 creed.
now that your saying you think 19" is what you want to go with that changes everything and I like the 6.5 PRC idea a lot.
please post up the results of your build. I have been contemplating a similar rifle but closer to 5.5-6lb. All my research keeps coming back to might as well go 308 or 7mm08 in that short of a barrel.
(16" is what i want )

I am looking at actual velocities that people are getting between 16-20". I put 16-18" because I have found some beta down to 20" where a guy cut his SAUM barrel with a mild load and 147s but he stopped at 20".

it looks like with 156s

6.5 PRC will definitely get me 2800 fps out of a 19" some are saying I should get 2600 out of a 16" which makes me good to 700 (not sure I am willing to gamble that on a 700$ barrel).
6.5 saum - going to be faster in all
6.5 SS even faster and looks like probably close to 2800 FPS.

I live in Utah and hike a lot which I why I want short/light rifle. 800 yard is my self set ethical distance I will personal shot an animal. I will likely stretch the gun to a 1000-a mile occasionally.

6.5 PRC is going to be cheaper barrel, reloading dies and brass. I didn't think I was going to get 2800 out of a sub-20" barrel.

factory reloads do not matter to me at all, but I guess they will be there.

Just talked to a gent who is running 2950 in a 18" with a 143 and H1000. H1000 is slow in a PRC. He had tested a 143 with RL26 at 3016 but felt like he was at max and no room for temp swings etc. I feel pretty comfortable thinking a guy can run 2950 - 3000 with a 18". That would put a 156 in the 2800 range and 2750 plus with a 16". Now, we just need you to get on it and prove it to us. HA HA

on the website it does not say out of stock. how do you know when it is in stock and ready to ship? Other then the web address says "pre-order" nothing on the page.

Let me tell you about my experience with 3 different Sherman cases: 7mm/6.5 Sherman max, ans 25sst. Take the speeds Rich is advertising to you, deduct 100fps, and ask yourself if you're willing to accept that speed for the work of the wildcat chamber. None of. My rifles have gotten the high fps even with 26" barrels on all 3. Top end pressure has been 100fps less than stated by Rich(which I believe are absolute best case speeds at high pressure loads) the majority of rifles will not get there in my opinion. . They still perform well, but not the mythical speeds some get. So take a conservative approach knock off 100fps from stated velocity, and if you're good with that, rock on. Just my experience with 3 Shermans. And 2 of guys that I load for. And of these 5 only 2 had proof barrels, ans both were replaced with barrels making the same speeds as original.

on the website it does not say out of stock. how do you know when it is in stock and ready to ship? Other then the web address says "pre-order" nothing on the page.

Let me tell you about my experience with 3 different Sherman cases: 7mm/6.5 Sherman max, ans 25sst. Take the speeds Rich is advertising to you, deduct 100fps, and ask yourself if you're willing to accept that speed for the work of the wildcat chamber. None of. My rifles have gotten the high fps even with 26" barrels on all 3. Top end pressure has been 100fps less than stated by Rich(which I believe are absolute best case speeds at high pressure loads) the majority of rifles will not get there in my opinion. . They still perform well, but not the mythical speeds some get. So take a conservative approach knock off 100fps from stated velocity, and if you're good with that, rock on. Just my experience with 3 Shermans. And 2 of guys that I load for. And of these 5 only 2 had proof barrels, ans both were replaced with barrels making the same speeds as original.

Just talked to a gent who is running 2950 in a 18" with a 143 and H1000. H1000 is slow in a PRC. He had tested a 143 with RL26 at 3016 but felt like he was at max and no room for temp swings etc. I feel pretty comfortable thinking a guy can run 2950 - 3000 with a 18". That would put a 156 in the 2800 range and 2750 plus with a 16". Now, we just need you to get on it and prove it to us. HA HA

it going to be awhile and I think I may go 19" barrel to play it safe on a 700$ barrel.

Ordering the action next week (decided to get a defiance anTI) and it likely will be at least 10 weeks, barrel will be 8 to 10 weeks once I order then I will send it to Mg Arms for a ultralight stock.

I have spoke to Rich before about the 7 SS when I was building my 7mm wsm and was still deciding on chambering. I got a car salesmen vibe from him.

Even if his velocities add up I do not think its for me. The PRC and Saum both are more appealing to me and the SS would cost me time and money to get it chamber. 6.5 PRC is a standard chamber for the barrel company so it will be the cheapest. Worst case the PRC is too slow and I opened her up to 6.5 saum.

I have spoke to Rich before about the 7 SS when I was building my 7mm wsm and was still deciding on chambering. I got a car salesmen vibe from him.

Even if his velocities add up I do not think its for me. The PRC and Saum both are more appealing to me and the SS would cost me time and money to get it chamber. 6.5 PRC is a standard chamber for the barrel company so it will be the cheapest. Worst case the PRC is too slow and I opened her up to 6.5 saum.
I have a prc and saum. They're within 50-60 fps of one another, equal barrel lengths. The saum only has 5% more capacity that's not gonna do a lot for you. I will say true prime 142smk saum ammo does shoot very well in my 160 freebore saum.

I should have my 16.5" 6 5 saum barrel in the next few weeks, I hope anyway.
I decided to go as short as legal to run suppressed for hunting deer and elk in the timber fringes.
I'll post my results when I get it set up.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts