Fastest 6.5 w/ 1k rnd barrel life?

highdrum

Looking to build a high effort 6.5 that'll have a good solid 1000+ round barrel life. I've already had/sold saums, not too interested in the prc as the capacity is too low for me. My options: 6.5 wsm, 264wm, 6.5 Sherman max. Are there some options I'm missing? The new Wby 6.5 RPM has 82gr capacity and fits too. Looking to push 140s 3150+ and 156s 3050+. I'm going to build this on a 26" 7 twist paradigm carbon barrel and defiance action. Reason for the fast twist, there are new copper high BC hunting bullets coming to market from a few vendors soon. I've got all the slow powders on hand for loading.

Looks like you favor the SA rounds. I don't know the barrel life but I'm sure it's 1000 rounds on the 6.5 Sherman. Mine to give you and idea, runs 140 Berger's at 3339 FPS out of a 28" Hart. This is a max load but brass lasted 4-5 firings.

Looking to build a high effort 6.5 that'll have a good solid 1000+ round barrel life. I've already had/sold saums, not too interested in the prc as the capacity is too low for me. My options: 6.5 wsm, 264wm, 6.5 Sherman max. Are there some options I'm missing? The new Wby 6.5 RPM has 82gr capacity and fits too. Looking to push 140s 3150+ and 156s 3050+. I'm going to build this on a 26" 7 twist paradigm carbon barrel and defiance action. Reason for the fast twist, there are new copper high BC hunting bullets coming to market from a few vendors soon. I've got all the slow powders on hand for loading.
How about the 6.5x 284 Norma

Dont know round counts yet...but my 26nosler is pushing a 140acc at 3200 wirh 75gr rl33......could be much faster I wanted it to be....
But I am happy so far....would imagine HH could be flying out the barrel.l with more speed and less worries.....

In my father's 26" 7.5 twist krieger 4 groove .264 win mag that I put together for him, we are currently sending the 156 eol's at 3060 fps with Retumbo, with a rather idle load, max charge that showed pressure (with soft federal brass....) was 1.5 grains higher, going 3170 fps. That is with a SAAMI chamber too, which sets the bullet WAY far into the case. Properly throated, using stronger ADG brass, 3200 would happen. Here is the data sheet on it. I'll also add, that we shot the 147 ELD-M at 3240 for a while, it was about 30-40 fps under it's max (again, with federal brass), but that is where it shot the best. The .264 WM is a fantastic choice if you want the option of factory rounds, or don't want to have to get more expensive dies or form brass. If you like the play with stuff like that, then the Sherman cartridge options are appealing as well. I have worked on two .270 Sherman's, the long action versions, and they are fun.

Attachments

• .264 wm data.pdf
    90.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
I was thinking ss max at lower pressure may have more barrel life than a standard ss running a grain below pressure.
The 6.5 SS will go well north of 1000 rounds at those speeds, my dad's first 6.5 Sherman barrel went 2000 rounds.
You might run the MAX at lower pressure but I don't know if that'll equate the 6.5 SS since you'll likely be burning more powder to do less, don't know.

Looks like you favor the SA rounds. I don't know the barrel life but I'm sure it's 1000 rounds on the 6.5 Sherman. Mine to give you and idea, runs 140 Berger's at 3339 FPS out of a 28" Hart. This is a max load but brass lasted 4-5 firings.
Nope, not at all. 26 nosler is quite overbore and has been known to cook a barrel or two in 700 rounds. 264wm is cool, as would a 264 weatherby(if they had better brass)

I'm running 140 Burger Vld's at 3050 with reloader 26 no signs of pressure My first barrel went South about 1200 rounds this last barrel I have Molly coated my bullets from the start I am at 1500 rounds and still going strong
My 6.5 saum would do 3150 pretty easily with 140 Bergers and that wasn't pushing the adg brass. With RL26 it was close to 3250. These are good numbers, but there are higher performing cases out there. Just looking for input and other things to consider.

The 6.5 SS will go well north of 1000 rounds at those speeds, my dad's first 6.5 Sherman barrel went 2000 rounds.
You might run the MAX at lower pressure but I don't know if that'll equate the 6.5 SS since you'll likely be burning more powder to do less, don't know.
Might just do the SS then, running a grain or 2 under pressure. This case is designed for short action, but when loading the 156 and heavier copper monos it sounds lime you're in that 2.95+ length especially if we freebore it proper for the heavy bullets. Will still probab6want to run on an intermediate action?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.