6.5 PRC Barrel Life

General RE LEE

What barrel life are yall getting out of your 6.5 PRCs for hunting and off season recreational range shooting? I am not a competitive PRS shooter so I won't be shooting high volumes in short periods of time.

There are several different factors that play into barrel life it makes the question fairly hard to answer.

If treated like a true hunting rifle, keeping the consecutive shot count low & with a cool burning powder like H1000; I'd bet on 1500-2000rnds.

Run it like a PRC rig with a double based powder like N570 & i'd SWAG 1000-1200rnds.

Barrel life is a price we pay for performance. I still love my 6.5WSM, which probably won't see 1000rnds before I have to set it back or rebarrel. That's fine, i'm aware of the cost & have no problem with it.

In this day and age of $400 prefits, run that PRC...

t

Answers you get will depend on your definition of "shot out" as well. Competitors may hang up a barrel that opens up to 1 MOA or when the velocity suddenly decreases on a known load. On a hunting rifle neither of these would cause me to pull the barrel. I believe this is part of the discrepancy between numbers similar to a 6.5-284 vs the people quoting almost double that. GAP famously claims the 6.5 SA with H1000 was getting into the 2,000s area.

I'd definitely toss a barrel that opened up to 1moa, fast. George really was getting great life out of the 6.5SAUM, it's well documented. It's also well documented that he wasn't pushing it very hard, because he couldn't. PRS has a speed limit.

t

I'd definitely toss a barrel that opened up to 1moa, fast. George really was getting great life out of the 6.5SAUM, it's well documented. It's also well documented that he wasn't pushing it very hard, because he couldn't. PRS has a speed limit.

t
That's exactly right, I'm a huge fan of H1000 in a bigger case rather than chasing "efficiency", and trying to get speed back with high pressure loads and double based powders.