Barrel life?

Mostly tagging in Rich. I don't have anything objective to add.

My partner and I started on rifles about same time he went with the EDGE he's on his second barrel, my first is still going. Both Krieger, his is a little heavier.

We decided "about" 800 rounds, kind of unexpectedly short life. I think other factors play a bigger role.

Barrel life depends on many things and most of what we (Long Range Shooters) do
shortens barrel life. The hotter we allow our barrels get the faster they will erode. the faster the projectile goes the more it will erode. the more powder we use, the more the barrel will erode. The higher the pressure, the more erosion will take place.the more carbon left in the barrel, becomes an abrasive, the more erosion, the dirtier we allow our barrels to get, the more erosion will take place.

These are just some of the causes of barrel erosion. To answer the OP's question, If a 338 RUM is pushed to the limits, it will normally have less barrel life than the 338 Edge loaded normally. If both cartridges are loaded to the max then the 338 Edge will not last as long. So barrel life is greatly effected by the owner and his care and loading practices.

Below is a good metallurgical description/explanation of the causes of barrel erosion.
It is a bit of an in depth description and may be difficult to understand if you have no metallurgical background, but if you read through it several times it will all make sense.

https://www.nap.edu/read/18418/chapter/7

J E CUSTOM

Barrel wear is just part of the game in my books...

If a person could see the throat of a barrle at the cone where the bullet Slams into the rifling it would scare the crap out of us...

My friend calls it the flash,,, kinda like a oxygen and acetylene torch being lit under extreme pressure...

It is said that that flash is so hot that it turns the little edges of the cut rifling red like steel that is about to melt...

Probilibly like the stuff we see in a lava flow...

So a good tool to find out the rough estimate of barrel wear is google a search of """Over Bore,""" the last chart I looked at ranged from 222 hornet on up to the 50 caliber BMG...

All I can say is there are """alot""" of barrel burners out there,,, the 2 calibers / cartridges that are right up there are the 270 Winchester and 7mm Remington Mag,,, let's not forget that there are 20 to 40 other cartridges if not more that fall into the 1.000 and above category...

Cartridges below the 1.000 see better longevity,,, of course the 0.700 to 0.835 seem to last alot longer...

308 Winchester's are in this 0.835 category if I recall... I could be off on these numbers... Ha

Cheers from the North

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.