Fastest 6.5 w/ 1k rnd barrel life?

Might just do the SS then, running a grain or 2 under pressure. This case is designed for short action, but when loading the 156 and heavier copper monos it sounds lime you're in that 2.95+ length especially if we freebore it proper for the heavy bullets. Will still probab6want to run on an intermediate action?
With the ss FB and a 156 you will be pushing the 3" limit
They are a looooong bullet.
Another option is the sst. Mine runs the 156 at 3100' at 2.9" with a 26" narrel

With the ss FB and a 156 you will be pushing the 3" limit
They are a looooong bullet.
Another option is the sst. Mine runs the 156 at 3100' at 2.9" with a 26" narrel
I'm not afraid of 3.2" xm action Rich. I want case capacity to push the heavy bullets 3050-3100. Would you suggest the SS or Max for this task?

I'm not afraid of 3.2" xm action Rich. I want case capacity to push the heavy bullets 3050-3100. Would you suggest the SS or Max for this task?
All 3 of my short mags would accomplish that. The SST would be near max, The SS would be right in the Wheel house, and the Max would be on cruise control. There are several ways to look at it as far as pressure and volume go. One way, is you could run a faster powder in the max and run the same speed as the SS with a slower powder (same charge) or you could back off the throttle with a slower powder and run less pressure.
Also, if you wanted to, you would have the option to run saum ammo in a pinch with the Max. Personally, I think it boils down to what action you want.

Looking to build a high effort 6.5 that'll have a good solid 1000+ round barrel life. I've already had/sold saums, not too interested in the prc as the capacity is too low for me. My options: 6.5 wsm, 264wm, 6.5 Sherman max. Are there some options I'm missing? The new Wby 6.5 RPM has 82gr capacity and fits too. Looking to push 140s 3150+ and 156s 3050+. I'm going to build this on a 26" 7 twist paradigm carbon barrel and defiance action. Reason for the fast twist, there are new copper high BC hunting bullets coming to market from a few vendors soon. I've got all the slow powders on hand for loading.
I'd like to hear about these new high BC coppers coming out!
I know you've had a saum so I'm sure you're aware that 3050 with a 156 will be easy if custom throated.
I'm shooting a 147 jammed way down in the case @ 3050 with a super mild load of H1000 from a 24" barrel.
Wish I could burn the dang barrel up so I can put a 22" 7 twist on there, stupid thing won't stop shooting bug holes.

I'd like to hear about these new high BC coppers coming out!
I know you've had a saum so I'm sure you're aware that 3050 with a 156 will be easy if custom throated.
I'm shooting a 147 jammed way down in the case @ 3050 with a super mild load of H1000 from a 24" barrel.
Wish I could burn the dang barrel up so I can put a 22" 7 twist on there, stupid thing won't stop shooting bug holes.
Patriot Valley Arms has a 145gr "Cayuga" solid copper hollow point in testing, Badlands precision also has a heavy 6.5mm super bulldozer which is an aluminum tipped copper solid hollow point thats in testing. Both these bullets should have bc in the 340-350 range, ans absolutely hammer elk shoulders. Spin em hard with a 7 twist ans internal damage should be extreme

All 3 of my short mags would accomplish that. The SST would be near max, The SS would be right in the Wheel house, and the Max would be on cruise control. There are several ways to look at it as far as pressure and volume go. One way, is you could run a faster powder in the max and run the same speed as the SS with a slower powder (same charge) or you could back off the throttle with a slower powder and run less pressure.
Also, if you wanted to, you would have the option to run saum ammo in a pinch with the Max. Personally, I think it boils down to what action you want.
I like the idea of slightly downloading its capabilities, and slightly lower pressure in the max. And in the desire to really hotrod the case, the capacity is there to do so.

264 win mag 8 twist
Ehhh maybe? Not in my last rifle, I had primers leaking @ 3050 in my rifle, ejector never went away till 2950. It had a 26" benchmark 1:7.5tw.
it will, ive had mine over 3100 156 with really great accuracy just for fun! 8 twist is all you need! get a bartlein 5R ! all the above mentioned have to be ran in a long action anyways so why not build an actual long action round!!!!
If i was to do a strict 156 slinger it would be either a 264 WM or 26 nosler which the later will run them at 3400 in a 26" barrel!! but will run them at 3k with 55k psi id bet which equates to less heat and really good barrel life!

Last edited:
264 win mag 8 twist

it will, ive had mine over 3100 156 with really great accuracy just for fun! 8 twist is all you need! get a bartlein 5R ! all the above mentioned have to be ran in a long action anyways so why not build an actual long action round!!!!
If i was to do a strict 156 slinger it would be either a 264 WM or 26 nosler which the later will run them at 3400 in a 26" barrel!! but will run them at 3k with 55k psi id bet which equates to less heat and really good barrel life!
My Bertram brass on the Tikka action may have been the problem then idk. I get what your saying tho, want big speed with heavy bullets, a big case is needed, unless a guy wants to be running 70k psi or more to get the desired fps. If I could get over 1k rounds from a 26 nosler or 264 I'd think about them as well. Realistically the 26n is the best case for highest perf, however it's very finicky, extremely overbore, and probably eats a thousandth of lands every 8-10 shots!

In my father's 26" 7.5 twist krieger 4 groove .264 win mag that I put together for him, we are currently sending the 156 eol's at 3060 fps with Retumbo, with a rather idle load, max charge that showed pressure (with soft federal brass....) was 1.5 grains higher, going 3170 fps. That is with a SAAMI chamber too, which sets the bullet WAY far into the case. Properly throated, using stronger ADG brass, 3200 would happen. Here is the data sheet on it. I'll also add, that we shot the 147 ELD-M at 3240 for a while, it was about 30-40 fps under it's max (again, with federal brass), but that is where it shot the best. The .264 WM is a fantastic choice if you want the option of factory rounds, or don't want to have to get more expensive dies or form brass. If you like the play with stuff like that, then the Sherman cartridge options are appealing as well. I have worked on two .270 Sherman's, the long action versions, and they are fun.

That's good to know. I have a 26" 1:7" 5R barrel. Thanks for sharing.

You just need a 6.5 SS to run those speeds without issue, I wouldn't run the MAX version to hit those velocities unless you wanted to.
I agree 100% when I looked at the vol for for the bulk of the best powder choices the SS is about the ideal case size for the popular 6.5 bullets. Now the 7mm I think the max makes more sense. It was seemed the SS was initial built around a 6.5 caliber

Last edited:
I agree 100% when I looked at the vol for for the bulk of the best powder choices the SS is about the ideal case size for the popular 6.5 bullets. Now the 7mm I think the max makes more sense. It was clear the SS was initial built around a 6.5 caliber
It was first alright.

My Bertram brass on the Tikka action may have been the problem then idk. I get what your saying tho, want big speed with heavy bullets, a big case is needed, unless a guy wants to be running 70k psi or more to get the desired fps. If I could get over 1k rounds from a 26 nosler or 264 I'd think about them as well. Realistically the 26n is the best case for highest perf, however it's very finicky, extremely overbore, and probably eats a thousandth of lands every 8-10 shots!
Yep
I tried some Bertram 6.5 saum brass and it's pure garbage.
Not only did I hit pressure early but it was the most inconsistent stuff I've ever used.
I had capacity variation of 2 grains, flash holes were jagged and even blocked, neck thickness varied by .002, and case weight spread was 10 grains!
If that's the only brass you used to base your experience off of with the 6.5 saum then I'm not surprised you weren't impressed

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.