Fastest 6.5 w/ 1k rnd barrel life?

Yep
I tried some Bertram 6.5 saum brass and it's pure garbage.
Not only did I hit pressure early but it was the most inconsistent stuff I've ever used.
I had capacity variation of 2 grains, flash holes were jagged and even blocked, neck thickness varied by .002, and case weight spread was 10 grains!
If that's the only brass you used to base your experience off of with the 6.5 saum then I'm not surprised you weren't impressed
I also have adg and prime/norma as well. However my adg went to my 25 saum as I run fairly hot with that rifle. The prime/norma is loaded factory ammo I haven't reloaded yet. It's 142smk @ 3070fps no pressure.

Prove to me my new Weatherby 6.5-300 won't go 1000+. Forget the rest & buy the BEST! Weatherby factory ammo just fropped to 1/2 price, mid $40 for the 140s.

I built a 6.5-7wsm last year. It was amazing 147 eldm's at 3340 fps with 73 grains of rl33. I shot several groups with it that were sub 1/4 moa. Only down side was the barrel burnt out at 700 rounds. We tried 142 ABLR's also at 3450 fps.

I'm running 140 Burger Vld's at 3050 with reloader 26 no signs of pressure My first barrel went South about 1200 rounds this last barrel I have Molly coated my bullets from the start I am at 1500 rounds and still going strong
I was running 140s pretty much the same but when I switched to 147s. They are pretty slow I'm getting 2950 with RL22 with a big ejector mark. I've only got a few left then I'm going to back the load down to save the life of my brass.

I have a factory Ruger M-77 Hawkeye in a 264 win mag 24 inch barrel, an yes they twisted it right 1:8. I run 143eldx with H1000 at 3020fps 5/8 group 5shots at 100

In my father's 26" 7.5 twist krieger 4 groove .264 win mag that I put together for him, we are currently sending the 156 eol's at 3060 fps with Retumbo, with a rather idle load, max charge that showed pressure (with soft federal brass....) was 1.5 grains higher, going 3170 fps. That is with a SAAMI chamber too, which sets the bullet WAY far into the case. Properly throated, using stronger ADG brass, 3200 would happen. Here is the data sheet on it. I'll also add, that we shot the 147 ELD-M at 3240 for a while, it was about 30-40 fps under it's max (again, with federal brass), but that is where it shot the best. The .264 WM is a fantastic choice if you want the option of factory rounds, or don't want to have to get more expensive dies or form brass. If you like the play with stuff like that, then the Sherman cartridge options are appealing as well. I have worked on two .270 Sherman's, the long action versions, and they are fun.
The 6.5 mag.is a devastating hunting rnd.i,ve had good custom cut rifle barrels go in 400 rnds.6.5x284...be careful testing...
Good luck
Bill

The 6.5 mag.is a devastating hunting rnd.i,ve had good custom cut rifle barrels go in 400 rnds.6.5x284...be careful testing...
Good luck
Bill
You've lost 6.5x284 barrels in 400 rounds? That's crazy. If you're pushing 90g ballistic tips @ 3400fps in a dog town, I can totally understand. I've been doing a lot of research on barrel life, I will not let this rifle get hot. I usually have an air pump with me and let it go for 60-90 sec between rounds, by the time I get back on the rifle and set up and shoot, there is usually at least 2.5 mins go by between rounds, sometimes longer. My 338 rum barely gets warm with this method and it's burning 95 grains of N570 which is a HOT powder.

I think either the Sherman Max or Weatherby's new 6.5 RPM will be the ticket for what your looking for,

I've used two Defiance Rebel XM actions and pre-ordered a third in their new lightweight anTi XM action, they are an awesome action to say the least

Good luck with your build.

I think either the Sherman Max or Weatherby's new 6.5 RPM will be the ticket for what your looking for,

I've used two Defiance Rebel XM actions and pre-ordered a third in their new lightweight anTi XM action, they are an awesome action to say the least

Good luck with your build.
Defiance told me they're weren't making an xm length anti at this time. If they were, I'd def use one for this build. Have you been told differently? I'm headed for a shop tour there Tuesday so I'll find out soon enough.

Defiance told me they're weren't making an xm length anti at this time. If they were, I'd def use one for this build. Have you been told differently? I'm headed for a shop tour there Tuesday so I'll find out soon enough.

Yes our distributor up here called Defiance to confirm that yes indeed they are making the XM action, so that's what I ordered.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.