Fastest (elk) round for a SA

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
I just don't understand the need for 3k fps with a 180. My 7saum with a 20" barrel is spitting 180eldms at 2780 (going to back down to 2750). At Colorado hunting elevations I'm carrying 1500ft/lbs a ridiculously long way. Over 1300 yards where I rifle hunted this fall. 20" barrel with a suppressor is a hoot to shoot, recoil is mild at 2780fps and it's hearing safe, the only sound I remember seems to be the "thwap" of that 180 hitting hide. I love that sound.

In a tikka setup, find a long action stock, swap the bolt stop and get a standard length mag and go to town. You can seat them as long as you could ever want.
Doesn't have to be a 180, but if its gonna top out at 2800-3000k, id prefer it be a heavy for caliber bullet. My 300wm was pushing 215s at >2800 IIRC behind H1000 from a 26" bbl (at altitude), but Id prefer speed over mass...heck I'd shoot the 7mm Barnes LRX 145s at 3400fps if I could, just don't have a plan to make it happen yet.

I'm appreciative of all the inputs for sure. Got some research do to on SS, WSM and SAUM component availability. Afterall, what good is a hunting rifle you can't find components for....LRPs anyone?

Doesn't have to be a 180, but if its gonna top out at 2800-3000k, id prefer it be a heavy for caliber bullet. My 300wm was pushing 215s at >2800 IIRC behind H1000 from a 26" bbl (at altitude), but Id prefer speed over mass...heck I'd shoot the 7mm Barnes LRX 145s at 3400fps if I could, just don't have a plan to make it happen yet.

I'm appreciative of all the inputs for sure. Got some research do to on SS, WSM and SAUM component availability. Afterall, what good is a hunting rifle you can't find components for....LRPs anyone?
just FYI, I have a lot of people call because they cant find saum brass and I have ss and max brass on the shelf. Study the pros and cons and until then, have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Why would you lean SAUM over anything? Brass availability?
I believe it's a sweet spot/ perfect balance cartridge. It's a better designed case, little better barrel life( important to me with CF barrels), little less recoil but still enough to be very effective at distance. I personally don't like wildcats and the 7WSM has such a short neck it will eat barrels. With todays rangefinder not the need for speed there once was. JMO. SAUM does everything I need and it's a super easy cartridge to load for

I believe it's a sweet spot/ perfect balance cartridge. It's a better designed case, little better barrel life( important to me with CF barrels), little less recoil but still enough to be very effective at distance. I personally don't like wildcats and the 7WSM has such a short neck it will eat barrels. With todays rangefinder not the need for speed there once was. JMO. SAUM does everything I need and it's a super easy cartridge to load for

For me, it was always the longer case of the WSM. If rocking a medium or long action, i'd go that route. In a true short action, you're compromising powder capacity with heavy bullets in order to run from an AICS mag.

That's why I went SAUM. Right, wrong or indifferent.

t

7saum….. ^^^^^

What would be your MV? Sounds slooooow. Lol
Think someone on here was pushing 200 hybrids over 3k...what's your 7 SAUM shooting them at?😉

Edit, found the post, it was 3068 FPS from a 22" barrel, 300ss with berger 200s (2.985 COAL)...2" groups at 600.

Last edited by a moderator: