Fastest 6.5 out of a 16-18” barrel and SA

elktaker

I am building an ultra light rifle.
My plan:

700 action Skeletonized by MG Arms(takes of 8 oz) or I may go with a pierce TI) Estimated weight of 700 with trigger 23-24 ounces.

x-caliber carbon barrel 18" is 30 ounce, 16" a little less.

MG arms stock 18 ounces finished (super light)

ultralight jet blast muzzle brake - 1.6 oz (if my memory is right)

Total weight with 18" barrel and Skeletonized 700

This will put me right at 4.5 lbs before the scope and close 6 lbs with scope.

I plan to shot 156 Berger's.

I am mostly considering 6.5 SAUM. 6.5 prc could be in the running if I bump up to 20-22".

Any other round I should be considering for a short action. I looked at 6.5 wsm but I run 7 mm wsm with 270 norms brass and keeping them seperate would be annoying. Not to mention I would like to just buy brass that's ready to go. I looked at 6.5 SS but not sure I want to go there.

Anyone handy quickload and can give me an idea of velocity of the 6.5 saum with 156 Berger's in a 16" barrel and a 18" barrel?

I am relatively happy if I can get to 2600 FPS in a short package, maybe even settle for mid 2500s if That meant I could go 16" which puts me at +1000 FPS at 700 yards.

The muzzle brake will add almost 2" to my overall length.

This purpose built and I know I could go with a 22-24" barrel and not worry about it but I want a short light gun in 6.5. My 7WSM is 11 lb with a 28" barrel plus brake.

thanks for any knowledge.

I was going to suggest the 6.5 SS, but you didn't want to form brass, I guess.

Send a PM to Rich, he'll convince you. I'm running 156 in 24" barrel @ 3,050 fps with N-565. He can tell you what velocity to expect for your desired length.

Send a PM to Rich, he'll convince you. I'm running 156 in 24" barrel @ 3,050 fps with N-565. He can tell you what velocity to expect for your desired length.

I already fireform brass for my 7mm wsm and prefer not to do it. 6.5 SAUM seems like a few more options out there.

guess if it got me over 2600 in a 16" barrel I would think about it.

I've built a couple short barrel 6.5's both 18" barrels one was a 6.5 SAUM and the other a 6.5 prc. Both shot about the same velocity 2840ish with the 150SMK or the 147eldm. I think you will be happy with either. I would choose the 6.5 prc over the SAUM because of factory ammo. I will caution you, with a muzzle brake you better double up on hearing protection if you value your ear drums.

Im glad i came across this thread, i'm also in the early stages of a build just like this! Like tim mentioned above, i would personally stay with the PRC.

I own a 6.5 saum, while i love it - i really wish i would've went with the PRC just for the sole fact i want GOOD factory ammo easily attainable when needed.

Lots of guys around me are only 25-100 FPS behind my SAUM when comparing speeds with their PRC's.

With good attainable brass & factory ammunition - the PRC makes it a easy choice for me.

If your strictly reloading then the SAUM will give you the nod for raw speed.

Last edited:

We should have fully formed brass in 2-3 weeks!
The SS is no doubt the fastest in a short action!

I've built a couple short barrel 6.5's both 18" barrels one was a 6.5 SAUM and the other a 6.5 prc. Both shot about the same velocity 2840ish with the 150SMK or the 147eldm. I think you will be happy with either. I would choose the 6.5 prc over the SAUM because of factory ammo. I will caution you, with a muzzle brake you better double up on hearing protection if you value your ear drums.

I am not too worried about factory loads since I only will reload for this.wear ears even when hunting and understand it will be loud.

Most of the numbers shows PCR ~100-150 FPS behind the SAUM which is why I was looking at the SAUM. Not many people cutting them short for a strong comparison.

Friend just got a savage ultra light (26" barrel I believe in an mdt chassis) in 6.5 PCR and all his handloads faster than 2820 FPS open up and he didn't find a higher node. Take 10" off that and I would be looking at 2400 or less. Also think a powder swap and some more work that I could get his in the 3k as he is more of a handgun reloaded.

Your numbers make me want to go 16" and probably go with the saum just to be on the safe side of velocity.

We should have fully formed brass in 2-3 weeks!
The SS is no doubt the fastest in a short action!

I guess how attainable is that going to be with one source.

What velocity do you estimate I will get with 16" barrel and 156 Berger's?

I guess how attainable is that going to be with one source.

What velocity do you estimate I will get with 16" barrel and 156 Berger's?
We keep brass in stock and once the new fully formed is here we should have some loaded ammo coming as well.
Lance Kenyon was able to reach 3000' with a 20" barrel. I would guess at least 2850 and maybe 2900.

We keep brass in stock and once the new fully formed is here we should have some loaded ammo coming as well.
Lance Kenyon was able to reach 3000' with a 20" barrel. I would guess at least 2850 and maybe 2900.

I am in the process of getting my action for this build so I have a while before I decide.

Who's making the brass? Will it be 100% ready to load (no neck turning or anything)?

I am in the process of getting my action for this build so I have a while before I decide.

Who's making the brass? Will it be 100% ready to load (no neck turning or anything)?
ADG brass and 100 percent ready if they are successful. This will be the first ever 40 degree short action brass.

Here is the 6.5 prc I built with the 18" barrel. It's a lilja three groove 1-7.5" twist It might be a faster barrel than average. I'm guessing that your buddy's savage has a slower than average barrel.

Attachments

• 6FD3511F-B9E0-4FC8-B052-40CD54BD0E9C.jpeg
    6FD3511F-B9E0-4FC8-B052-40CD54BD0E9C.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 9A17B1AA-3580-4485-804C-B7D36461D246.png
    9A17B1AA-3580-4485-804C-B7D36461D246.png
    128.8 KB · Views: 214
Here is the 6.5 prc I built with the 18" barrel. It's a lilja three groove 1-7.5" twist It might be a faster barrel than average. I'm guessing that your buddy's savage has a slower than average barrel.

Whats your velocity? I am certain he is slow.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts