Fastest (elk) round for a SA

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
Elk our to 800...I'm comfortable taking a 6 creed broadside into big game out to 500, but I'd prefer to have something slightly larger going the same speed. I looked at the 25SST, just not sure if that's a big enough step up to justify 800-1k in a barrel and gunsmithing to chamber and thread?

I didn't know Sherman was making a 300SS, is it a true SA?...I'd originally thought about a 300prc, but the chassis I ended up with will only mag feed short action mags. I could do the 300 PRC or Norma Mag but I'd he single feed with 2 more on standby in in a SAP holder.
Its a true short action. With the std FB it will run 200 class bullets at 2900 and 180 class over 3000 with 26" barrels
AllTerra Arms was building them with 22" barrels and running the 212 ELDX with Varget over 2800'

I'll second this, although he did mention AICS mags so I'm assuming its in a chassis.
Exactly. It's going in a Bravo. I don't need or want multiple bolt actions. I'd like to dhoot the same stock, weight it up for local match fun, strip it down and throw on a carbon bbl for elk season.

Problem is, most chassis I've found for a tikka are SA mags only, changing bolt stop would allow me to single feed it, but I'd like to stay in SA AICS mag COAL

Exactly. It's going in a Bravo. I don't need or want multiple bolt actions. I'd like to dhoot the same stock, weight it up for local match fun, strip it down and throw on a carbon bbl for elk season.

Problem is, most chassis I've found for a tikka are SA mags only, changing bolt stop would allow me to single feed it, but I'd like to stay in SA AICS mag COAL
MDT and XLR have LA chassis options, and I think there's a few other oddball ones out there too. I think I might start keeping a list of Tikka aftermarket options at some point.

I run 162 EDLX at 3130fps accurately out of 7WSM short action, 24 in barrel suppressed. I haven't tried any other bullets out of this gun, but I think if I tried to go heavier bullets would drop fps. I personally would do the 7 SAUM but if you want all the fps you can get WSM, or Shermans will do the trick

I run 162 EDLX at 3130fps accurately out of 7WSM short action, 24 in barrel suppressed. I haven't tried any other bullets out of this gun, but I think if I tried to go heavier bullets would drop fps. I personally would do the 7 SAUM but if you want all the fps you can get WSM, or Shermans will do the trick
Why would you lean SAUM over anything? Brass availability?

I just don't understand the need for 3k fps with a 180. My 7saum with a 20" barrel is spitting 180eldms at 2780 (going to back down to 2750). At Colorado hunting elevations I'm carrying 1500ft/lbs a ridiculously long way. Over 1300 yards where I rifle hunted this fall. 20" barrel with a suppressor is a hoot to shoot, recoil is mild at 2780fps and it's hearing safe, the only sound I remember seems to be the "thwap" of that 180 hitting hide. I love that sound.

In a tikka setup, find a long action stock, swap the bolt stop and get a standard length mag and go to town. You can seat them as long as you could ever want.