Do all .30cal bullet?

Only whitetails and recoil isn't a major concern, she will shoot my .300RUM with no brake and no whinning lol. I just know the 06 likes 150s.

If it's just deer, then the Sierra ProHunter and Sierra GameKing bullets are a great option. Accurate. Affordable. More than capable of quick kills.

The ProHunters (150 grain = SKU#2130) are a flat-base bullet, so easier to find an accurate load quickly with them (i.e., slightly less 'finicky'.) The GameKings (150 grain = SKU #2125; the 165 grain = SKU #2145 ) are a boat-tail bullet, so they are a better choice if you are shooting across fields and clear-cuts (longer ranges.) Both are really good, really reliable, and really affordable. As a general rule, the lighter bullets cost less because they use less lead and copper, but the price difference is small.

To keep things simple, is there a decent priced bullet in the 150-168gr range that I can load for both the wife's AR10 and a savage 110 30/06? I would like to keep it at least narrowed down to one bullet that can be ran in both for hunting that is accurate yet a good price point (oxymoron).
Got one option for you that I just found. Source: MidwayUSA, bullet: Speer -30 Cal - .308 Dia., 165gr Spitzer Boat Tail (soft point) only $19.99 a box for 100 Bullets (.20 per) Not a match grade bullet, but excellent ratings from hunters & paper punchers alike.

To keep things simple, is there a decent priced bullet in the 150-168gr range that I can load for both the wife's AR10 and a savage 110 30/06? I would like to keep it at least narrowed down to one bullet that can be ran in both for hunting that is accurate yet a good price point (oxymoron).
I worked up a load for my M1 Garand with the Hornady A-Max 178 grain that I can also shoot in my ABolt. This bullet USED to be marketed as a excellent hunting load for "thin skinned game".

AMax4Hunting.JPG

Why so concerned with price on a hunting bullet? How many of them will you shoot? All my hunting rifles see maybe 5 rounds a year after developing a load. Some I don't shoot at all unless I get an elk tag some place.
What!! I try to run a minimum of 400 rounds through a rifle I'm hunting with each year but then again this is a long range hunting forum where we are actually concerned about the quality of our shooting while taking game!

168gr A-Max has my vote. They are still producing that grain in the A-Max (not sure how long) but the A-Max line has been slowly replaced with the ELD-M. Idk, I just love the 168 A-max's in my 308s.

I still have 7 boxes of 178gr A Max's,,, to many ELD-X that I though were thick skin booltiz,,, then I mistakenly took a Elk with the ELD-M'S and won't look back...

Awesom Punch-Junk and 80 + % of the boolit was still intact when I found it pilled up on the far front shoulder...

1/4 angle shot threw the hart as the Elk was trying to make a get away...

Awesomeness fore sure...

$54 Cnd funds per 100.
$46 per 20 boxes if I buy bulk.

That's $0.38 Usd per boolit standard costs.
$0.33 bulk

I've had good luck with the older 165 game king. It is pretty explosive on whitetail and hogs with a lot of internal damage. I almost always lose a shoulder to them from bloodshot purple meat. Not sure I'd use one on elk. The SST is hard to beat for accuracy and performance all around. The A-max not so great on hogs in my experience. I'm looking forward to trying the new TMK with the thicker jacket. I dont think I'd worry too much on tips in an AR unless I was shooting past 400.

Been using 165 SGK HP last 35 yr in all types of gas guns (AR10) and 4 other types of 30 cal calibers with confidence that what i hit with that bullet is DRT. Spoke with Sierra rep at Shot Show yrs ago and he confided to me that it is their most accurate 30 cal hunting bullet. If Hand loading, pay attention to OAL. 165 SGK has long ogive. I made mistake loading 500 rds for friend after he shot my loads (308). I forgot to pay attention and loaded to 2.800. Wrong, overall length should be around 7.775. Spent a long time pulling 499 bullets, he shot one after jamming into receiver. Had to put this dissclaimer for OAL for early career loaders. To me this is the type of info that benefits greatly to the experience this site brings.

165 game king is a great bullet, I've done a lot of research trying to find a happy medium in the past. I was in a spot where all I had was a 308 and an elk hunt planned. After a lot of reading I tried the 165 nosler ballistic tip. It's has a thicker jacket than most ballistic tips and a decent bc. I shot it in front of varget and had great results. Long story short just before the hunt I won a 300 Winchester and loaded 150 ttsx and killed a 6x6. Good luck a lot of good choices already mentioned.

Speer makes a 168gr Gold Dot Rifle bullet that has a soft tip with very little lead exposed. .571 BC, very accurate and expands quickly. Also inexpensive, .32 a bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.