looking for a do all rifle

My "do all" rifle is a 7mm-08. Given proper bullet placement and a good, well-matched bullet, I have no doubts it will take most any game I may try to shoot, probably out to 400 yards or so depending on the game and the situation. At the same time, I have my eye on a Ruger American, most likely in 6.5 Creedmore, for when my kids start hunting in a few years. Personally, I think the 6.5 Creedmore, or the 260 or 6.5x55, provides plenty of power, good accuracy, and low enough recoil that young or smaller framed shooters can become proficient. When it comes down to it, putting a quality bullet where it counts is what brings home meat.

The cartrages you mentioned should work for boy, such a big selection of ammo to choose from now days that is a real plus.

You probably know what bullets too choose for the critters boy and you will be going after, and the range of yours guys limitations with these calibers.

Here is a awesome Web site that will give you break down on most every day cartrages made, lots of load data and bullet performance on impact at different distances.

As well they break it up on game and predator weights. 20 to 40 kgs, 150 to 200, 400 to 700, and so on up to the heavy weights.

Click on "Cartrage Research"as boy and you,,," father and son" can enjoy learning what will work for the both of you.

Good on you jj as pops and boy plan together.

Extensive Field-Tested Rifle & Cartridge Research - BallisticStudies.com

Don from Western Canada

PS: My pops never took me to the shooting range, so it was a long road till 2 National shooters took me to task, good thing boy and you can do this too as it would be quality time spent.

PS: My pops never took me to the shooting range, so it was a long road till 2 National shooters took me to task, good thing boy and you can do this too as it would be quality time spent.[/QUOTE]

mine neither, mine was a typical but, luckily when i joined the army a retired AMU CSM took me under the boot, and got me into it.

honestly the kids a natural, he schwacked a groundhog at 265 with my 243.

hopefully he'll get his first deer this thanksgiving, and then maybe a javelina or painted sheep next.

thanks for all the input

Last edited by a moderator:
any thoughts on the 143 eld-x and the 260?

the eld-x thread is gonna take a while to get through with it's 152 pages

I have been following that thread because I hope to use the 162 grainers in my 7mm-08. The general consensus seems to be that they are a good bullet, but can be pretty frangible at high velocities or real close ranges. At the same time, I think those problems seem to be developing at impact velocities greater than 3000fps, so they may be more of an issue for those using them in the magnums rather than the more standard cartridges. I still haven't gotten to shoot any yet; I am still waiting for my head to stop hurting after a car accident before I try shooting. I know if I had 6.5 I would be looking at the ELD-X or ABLR as my go to bullet. The 140gr Accubond works well in my 7mm-08, so those would also be a good candidate in a 6.5.

Your welcome jj, always glad to share in ideas only as its the person them selves that puts things into action.

Sounds like boy is a chip off the old block "ment in a good way brother".

I hope the info offered assist the both of you in some planing, many others that have posted know much more of the happenings then small town country boy from Canada, Ha.

My thing is hanging out at lakes, rocks, and trees on the Eastern Slopes of the Rocky Mountain Range in Western Canada.

I've been blessed to travel the Americas as I call it,,, Alaska too Mexico. Coast to Coast countless times to view lands and critters of many.

One thing that stands out on critters is the further North animals are the thicker the skin. LOL.
Thick skin of the thickest is Northern British Columbia and Alaska as Elk and Moose are our Bruns here in North America,,, as you and others probably know.

This is not saying the Colorado high elivaton Elk and Moose aren't as they too are massive critters,,, seen them up close many time in Utah, CO, Montana and Wyoming... Big woppers they are.

Thanks again jj for the feed back and proud of your services as many of my friends and family served too. I now life in Canada, but our family history is US of A from many many years ago.

Pal Don

Sorry for off track, so back to your thread.

got a SS CTR in 260

seems like a good compromise for weight

just wondering if the 20" tube will push the hdy eld-x fast enough for hunting out to 400?
There's no reason why it wouldn't. I'm not sure though what you mean by "fast enough for hunting". Depending on the powder used you can probably get in the neighborhood of 2700fps but the velocity really doesn't matter much as long as you know your drops.

With the 140's I'm running right now I zero at 100 and at 200, 300, 400 I have drops of 4, 12, and 45". You can use a cut off piece of a 3x5 card laminated with clear tape on the side of your stock or simply remember the drops out to 400.

dope wont be an issue, just wondering about reliable expansion at extended ranges

it seems like it's a pretty good bullet, so we'll see

the CTR in 260rem is a winner

the 143 ELD-x i'm not sure about yet. it shoots well, consistently .5-.75 MOA out to 1100yds.

but the eldx's i've recovered has been great or super ******, with complete jacket separation.

it seems that an impact speed of less than 2400 is needed to keep everything together.

now i'm shopping for more suitable glass, i have a new PST 5-25 on order, but thinking something in the 3-15 range may be better.

anyone checked out the Athlon line yet?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.