Hi all looking for advice

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Cam Gillespie, Jun 16, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Cam Gillespie

Cam Gillespie New Member

Im looking for a scope for my Savage 110 High Country in 7 mm rem mag. I am leanin towards
    the Vortex Viper PST genII ffp 5x25 x 50 but not certain on moa or mrad. Any help would be great

2. 7magcreedmoor

7magcreedmoor Well-Known Member

I bought one this spring in MOA and love it. The choice of calibration is totally up to you. Guys will bleed arguing one vs the other, but in the end they both measure angle, and there isn't much difference in the increment. Quarter MOA and 1/10th mil are 0.26175 inches and 0.36 inches respectively at 100 yards. If you already have experience with one, stay with it, or if you like to learn new things, try the other for a change.

skipglo likes this.
  3. OhYtD

OhYtD Well-Known Member

i have tried both moa or mrad, they are both great. you can't go wrong either way.

4. Elkeater

Elkeater Well-Known Member

For the same price range I’d look at the zeiss conquest V4. It’s lighter weight and has some nice features.

geo4061, sceeder, Boman and 1 other person like this.
  5. jd5521

jd5521 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

+1 for the zeiss

6. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Leupold VX6. I bought 5 vipers, 3 would never zero or hold zero. I won't spend another dime on Vortex products. Their customer service was however excellent but when I lay out that kind of money for an optic I expect it to be right out of the box and to not spend more time sending them in for work than enjoying them.

skwigster, Frog4aday and nmbarta like this.
  7. fabricator21

fabricator21 Well-Known Member

+1 on the vx-6

8. dfanonymous

dfanonymous Well-Known Member

It’s a simple as picking a system you feel comfortable learning. There’s plenty of information on all of them, and if not PM me and I’ll send you some of my digital back ups of some of my infield data references and such.

Most people go with MOA because of how close to an inch it is, which makes it easier to use but, it has no real correlation to your dope and MRAD is not anymore difficult to learn to be honest.

9. thatguyshm

thatguyshm Well-Known Member

What's your plan with the rifle? Doesn't exactly seem like a spin the turrets kind of proposition, more of a hunting rig. Do you plan on ranging with your scope or using a rangefinder?

I have started focusing more on the reticle on mid tier glass. Do you plan on shooting past 800 yards regularly? I have a Vortex Razor LH HD 3-15 with the HSR4 reticle on my 7mm RM and it has 24 MOA in the reticle itself.

As far as moa vs mil, if all your other scopes are one of the two, I'd stick with that unless you want to learn a new system.

10. Deviant

Deviant Well-Known Member

Midway USA has the Vortex 5-25 on sale right now for $599

11. gr8fuldoug

gr8fuldoug Official LRH Sponsor

In that price range take a peek at the Athlon Ares BTR. I think it's a great option

12. jd126

jd126 Active Member

I'm seeing $549 plus free Vortex rings & free shipping. Very enticing...

13. sceeder

sceeder Well-Known Member

I vote for Zeiss. I have 4 of them and I love them.

14. Remmy700

Remmy700 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I just got a zeiss v4 a few months back to tinker with and so far I have been very pleased with not only the glass and turrets but the overall weight and tracking. Great scope for the money.

geo4061 likes this.