Do all .30cal bullet?

I've shot mostly 168gr-175gr in my 308's. And tended to stay with 180gr in my 30-06. To simplify my bullet selection I was planning on testing Hornady's 178gr ELD in the 308's and 30-06's. But barrels are like people, they like what they like so don't get too stuck on the idea.

I would say it's a good deal to save and get a bullet that work exceptionally well in your 30 caliber rifle. Again, I have been using the Sierra and Speer 165 grain B.T.S.P. #2034 since 1990 and it has never failed me. Why spend more money on bullets!!!!!!
Soft points tend to shoot poorly out of an AR. I always loved the 165BTSP in my '06 for deer, so you are not wrong, but to shoot in both, chances are better with the BTHP gameking. .308 kicks pretty soft out of a gas gun, most likely the barrel is threaded, and if it doesn't have a brake, easy to add at home.

tierradelmundo is right about the 165 gr. Sierra Gameking HPBT. I use them in my AR10 and they are the most accurate bullet I've tried for this rifle. The big advantage is you can seat them .010" off the lands and still fit them in the mag with room to spare.

We build a lot of AR-10's. Not sure if this was asked (I don't have time right now to read through everything that has been posted), what twist is your rifle?

I am surprised that people have not been suggesting Barnes TTSX and LRX in the general mix. They are a little more expensive (60-65¢) than the cup-and-cores, but still about half price to the "boutique" bullets at $1-$1.25/bullet.

Anyway, I'm developing loads for grandkids in a very lightweight Kimber 308. I'm looking for something in 130grain TTSX because of recoil and cost and more than adequate for deer because of monolithic construction. But at the moment the Barnes 168gn TTSX seems to produce significantly better groups in the particular rifle. Still, a lot more testing needs to be done, which grandpa will enjoy.

And for an all-around compromise bullet, the 168grainTTSX should handle about anything in the lower 48 as well as all sizes of antelope in Africa. It does 2750fps accurately in the little Kimber, which is a reasonable hunting velocity, zero to 400 yards. And a person could be happy at 2700fps, too.

I believe the 30-06 derived from the 30-03 which was designed around the 220 grain bullet. The 308/7.62 does and excellent job of duplicating the 150gr performance of the 30-06. <SNIPPED STUFF>
Great bit of history there 73Driver!
.30-03 & Transition to .30-06
The .30-03 (7.62×65mm) was a short-lived cartridge developed by the United States in 1903, to replace the .30-40 Krag in the new Springfield 1903 rifle. The .30-03 was also called the .30-45, since it used a 45 grain powder charge; the name was changed to .30-03 to indicate the year of adoption. It used a 220 grain round-nose bullet. It was replaced after only three years of service by the .30-06, firing a 150 grain spitzer bullet giving better ballistic performance.

(Details: The .30-03 case was shortened by 0.07 inches in the neck, the powder was reformulated to burn cooler, and the bullet was changed to a 150 grain spitzer.)

Last edited:
I am surprised that people have not been suggesting Barnes TTSX and LRX in the general mix. They are a little more expensive (60-65¢) than the cup-and-cores, but still about half price to the "boutique" bullets at $1-$1.25/bullet.<SNIPPED STUFF>
The Barnes bullets ARE great! But the OP wanted inexpensive options. That's why you aren't seeing people offer up the Barnes or the Hammer, or other 'pricey bullet options.

My .308 GAP10 likes 150 gr SSTs and my dad's old model 70 in 30-06 likes 165 gr SSTs. Both have performed very well on deer. The SSTs are reasonably priced. You might consider trying both and seeing which performs best in both rifles and then select.

I went to Nosler 2nds for my cheap reloading, SPS has them for about the same price as Sierra plus I get a veterans discount. So in the end they've been cheaper than Sierra and about the same price as Hornady & Speer. Sierra was my go-to bullet for many of years, and I still use them. I also look for pulled bullets, there are a few places that sell them, great for a plinking bullets and usually really cheap if you buy in quantities.

If you want a 30 caliber projectile that will be accurate in both rifles, I would run with a 150 grain sst, or the 150 nosler balistic tip. If you want something bonded then the 150 grain accubond, or the 150 grain swift scirocco II. If you want something heavier than 150 grains, then I recommend 165 grain versions of the same.

I don't know how but I missed the part where the OP was specifically looking for 150gr-165gr. must have been selective reading ;). Depending on what he's going to hunt I'd probably lean towards the 165gr SST. That's a pretty good class of bullet for both the 308 win and 30-06. Plus it has a cannelure in case the autoloader needs a crimp.

I'd suggest either 165 gr. sierra game king or the new sierra game changer, it has a polycarbonate tip and hybrid ogive giving it super performance on game and a superior ballistics coefficient. I run it in both .308 Win and 30-06--great results and not too spendy either for a near "premium" bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.