Ultimate do all hunting scope

Lance will definitely get you hooked on premium glass that's for sure . One look thru some of his scopes and your done. Thanks for letting me take a peek . My 280ai build is coming along . I did change direction from the rem 700 action to a kelbys nanook . It should be in next month. I might need some help with stock and exactly what scope to run . I think I looked thru your zco. Next to my atacr on my 7-08 it was such a difference to bad I run moa.

Do your self a favor don't take @lancetkenyon or @Huntnful advice they will give you the best of the best you will buy it and become addicted. Trust me I'm now an alpha level glass addict and can't stand looking behind any other other than that. In all seriousness those two I mentioned earlier are as knowledgeable as they come and won't steer you wrong. Thanks to them I own a March and s&b. I sold three scope to buy my last one because the glass and features were 10 times what my previous scope were. A lot comes down to budget and how much you shoot and what parts of the optical triangle you're willing to Compromise one. My list for budget scopes would be bushnell drm 2 or lrhs/lrti/ other than that the Schmidt and bender pm2 is top followed by my March.
What is the optical triangle?

These are pretty old photos, but this is a FFP March F 3-24×52 @ 200 yds.
3, 10, 15, 24x.
You can see 3x is similar to a fine x. But would still work just fine for 10-100 yards on a deer.
View attachment 462538
View attachment 462539
View attachment 462540
View attachment 462541

Thanks to everyone who has responded. Definitely give me some more things to think about and some more options to consider. Thanks for these photos as well. This was one of the scopes that was higher up on my list as well. I have heard above 15ish mag that the scope distorts significantly so it's more of a 3-16. Can you confirm or what is your opinion on this scope at the higher mag ranges?

Glass quality, magnification, field of view, the theory is that it's starts out as an equilateral triangle but as soon as you decide you want 7-35 magnification we'll you have to take that from the field of view side of the triangle so now it's no longer and equilateral and the theory repeats when

Leupold vx5hd 2x10x42. Or the vx6hd 2x12x42 Hard to beat for 0-600 yards. Glass is great.
I've got three of these scopes in the VX6 HD, wouldn't trade them for anything. Anything in the "4X" plus category is great for open country, however for me 4X is too much scope in some of the New England woods.

I seem to be on a never ending journey of finding the perfect do all rifle scope. I'm talking 10-600 yards from the spot and stalk dark Timbers of whitetail country in the NE to the laying prone wide open plains of the West and everything in between. I try to keep things as simple as possible and own one hunting rifle for all of my hunting needs and trying to find the scope to live on top has been challenging. I need something that has a good mag range for the above yardages, enough low light performance to handle the dark woods, a good usable reticle at all levels of magnification, optical quality on the highest power and most importantly durable! Since this is my one and only rifle it travels a lot and as careful as I can be out in the wilderness it will see it's fair share of bumps. I'm not partial to FFP vs SFP but if it is FFP the reticle has to be usable on the lowest power for the close up moving deer shots.

Anyone have any suggestions on something that would check all my boxes?
I am going to try the meopta optika 6 2.5-15x44 $528 made in czechoslovakia i have never heard anybody say anything bad about them and high quality european glass

I am going to try the meopta optika 6 2.5-15x44 $528 made in czechoslovakia i have never heard anybody say anything bad about them and high quality european glass
I tried one. Had to send it back. Wouldn't track. I will say the glass seemed quite nice.

I have no experience but to those that know, would the Swarovski z6 line fit this bill? I currently shoot lower end NF but for the magnification, weight and clarity seems like a viable option. Just don't know about the repeatability and durability. Maybe someone can chime in about that.
I dont have z6 experience but I do have z3, z5, and x5. There is a noticeable difference between z3 and z5. Z5 and z6 have the same turret mechanism. In my opinion I think z5 glass is better than atacr in low light. Z6 should be even better. Z5 is 1lb and very compact. So far none of the z5s have not had any dialing issues. X5 is on my bench gun

For the money for a hunting scope out to 600 yds, hard to beat the Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16. I have a couple and they are very clear and hold zero very well. They offer a lot of value for far less than $1000.

Attachments

• images (9).jpeg
    images (9).jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 57

Recent Posts