Do all .30cal bullet?

Both the 30/06 and the 308 were built around a 150 grain bullet. they will shoot other bullets but for what you want the bolt or the ar 10 will do well with any good 150 grain bullet. If the bolt gun is a stagger feed
the polymer tipped and hollow points will work. I have found out over the years that hollow point bullets are great for targets but some are very explosive and I don't recommend them for hunting.

The 150 grain Accubond is my first choice for your use.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
I believe the 30-06 derived from the 30-03 which was designed around the 220 grain bullet. The 308/7.62 does and excellent job of duplicating the 150gr performance of the 30-06. A 175/180 gr bullet is perfect in the 06. The 165 gr works very well in either and my personal preference is to run as heavy a bullet as practicable out of a cartridge. The 165gr gives up very little to the 150's. I like the Hornady SST's and would consider the 30cal 165's, the Sierra HP would be another accurate affordable option.

I believe the 30-06 derived from the 30-03 which was designed around the 220 grain bullet. The 308/7.62 does and excellent job of duplicating the 150gr performance of the 30-06. A 175/180 gr bullet is perfect in the 06. The 165 gr works very well in either and my personal preference is to run as heavy a bullet as practicable out of a cartridge. The 165gr gives up very little to the 150's. I like the Hornady SST's and would consider the 30cal 165's, the Sierra HP would be another accurate affordable option.
Good advice

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosl...er/30/isAjax/1/type_bullet/Ballistic Tip.html

Nosler Ballistic Tips 2nds are what I'd use, they will not break the bank. I know you said 150-168 grain but my favorite in the .308 caliber is the 125 grain. NBT. My daughter has been hammering deer, pronghorn, and coyotes out to 400 yards with that bullet since she was 11 in .300 Savage and .308 Win. It is an amazingly tough little bullet that is easy on the shoulder to shoot and practice with. She shoots a 130 TTSX for elk.

http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel3/Items.aspx?category=Bullets

Pat's reloading has new IMI or MagTech 147 grain FMJ bullets for 18-20 cents a bullet. You might find some cheaper surplus gunpowder for the .308 and .30-06 to help the shooting budget as well.

Last edited:
Why so concerned with price on a hunting bullet? How many of them will you shoot? All my hunting rifles see maybe 5 rounds a year after developing a load. Some I don't shoot at all unless I get an elk tag some place.

If it were for me, I would have to agree with the 165 for the 30/06.

But my understanding of what the OP ask was for a bullet that could be used for both cartridges so the 150 would be my choice for both.

When he mentioned his wife would be shooting/hunting that also had a Baring on my recommendation. Heavy bullets lend themselves to longer distances and more recoil. with more time in flight the chances of a poor shot are increased because game can have more time to move and make an otherwise good hit, poor.

My preference would be, the 150 for the 308 and the 165 for the 30/06 but that would require two different bullets and the 165 grain might render the 06 unusable or at least undesirable for his wife because of recoil. If he wanted to install a muzzle brake on both then recoil would not be a problem for ether bullet.

On average the 3006 produces between 26 and 28 ft/lbs of recoil in a 7.5 pound rifle using 165 grain bullets. This is reduced to 23 to 25 ft/lbs of recoil with the 150.The 308 drops below 19 with the 150. with heavier rifles the recoil is reduced.

Of course if a muzzle brake is installed they can be reduced by 1/2.
that.

J E CUSTOM

I would say it's a good deal to save and get a bullet that work exceptionally well in your 30 caliber rifle. Again, I have been using the Sierra and Speer 165 grain B.T.S.P. #2034 since 1990 and it has never failed me. Why spend more money on bullets!!!!!!

To keep things simple, is there a decent priced bullet in the 150-168gr range that I can load for both the wife's AR10 and a savage 110 30/06? I would like to keep it at least narrowed down to one bullet that can be ran in both for hunting that is accurate yet a good price point (oxymoron).
Not sure if it is still available but I have a boatload of the old Remington Bronze Tips that are superb for deer.
That being said, others have mentioned Sierra GK and I have always found that to be game getter.
Best of luck to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.