Detached suppressor ?

Yep, it all of course depends on the width. I've seen some "mini ranches" with lots that were 50-100yds wide and very deep.
That seems to be the way they are slicing larger chunks of property here in central ga now. I assume it's easier when trying to avoid land locking property when cutting it up to sell off.

That seems to be the way they are slicing larger chunks of property here in central ga now. I assume it's easier when trying to avoid land locking property when cutting it up to sell off.
Of course , its THICK around these parts. 10 acres 100yrds wide would probably sound like a waste of space in Texas or Oklahoma. Here you can live 100yrds from someone else and never see them, at least in the summer .

A little effort to get along goes a long way towards having good neighbors.

Absolutely. I get that. My nearest neighbor is a mile away. I still don't shoot at 7:00 on Sunday morning. I hire a helicopter every spring to do hog eradication and use my front yard as the landing pad. This jack wagon a mile away calls the game warden every year and asks him to stop me from flying over my own ranch. Just know that people like that will never be pacified by any amount of effort you make to reduce the noise.

I have been thinking about the same thing. Closest houses are 150yds from mine. Most of the neighbors shoot occasionally (rimfire and handgun), but sometimes I will shoot 30-40 rifle rounds in an hr or so and would like to cut back on noise. With a silencer not in my near future I'm looking at cheaper options. Like Wildrose mentioned, the 55gal drum is what I'm going to try first. It will need to be mobile, so I'm going to get one of the poly ones and put it on wheels with something inside to help absorb some sound. A coworker used to shoot at a range that had 55g drums mounted at each bench and required shooting through them. Said it maid a pretty good difference.

no ricochets from me, but that was the way the "neighbor" tried to get me to stop shooting on my land was to claim she had "bullets flying over her head"--she also claimed I was shooting into hay bails and the bullets were going through--no hay bails anywhere on that property, only appropriate back stops---if you have a neighbor that doesn't like you shooting there is nothing you can do to stop the complaints

I had a neighbor like that. Called the sheriff and said I was shooting at her kids. When he told me the complaint, I asked, "Where are the dead kids? I shoot five days a week. Let me show you the range."

I invited him to use it any time. He actually came and shot there.

I have heard of a guy that bolted a number of tires together, and then shot through them to help muffle the report.......I never heard it, but reliable people said it help quite a bit with the muzzle blast. In all reality, all you may need is to distort the sound so that it doesn't sound like the classic "Gun shot" and people may not even think twice about it. It would seem like if you got smaller with your tires as you went down the row, it might create a baffle effect and trap some of the muzzle blast......Try it, and let me know how it works! Thankfully, I live where all my neighbors shoot, and it's not really an issue for me!

Absolutely. I get that. My nearest neighbor is a mile away. I still don't shoot at 7:00 on Sunday morning. I hire a helicopter every spring to do hog eradication and use my front yard as the landing pad. This jack wagon a mile away calls the game warden every year and asks him to stop me from flying over my own ranch. Just know that people like that will never be pacified by any amount of effort you make to reduce the noise.
Some people are just born asses and they are doubly bad when they move to the country.

Many years ago a friend had a small feedlot in Eastern NM. A family bought the place across the road knowing the feedlot was there.

They spent the next ten years bankrupting the poor guy suing him over the flies.

I have heard of a guy that bolted a number of tires together, and then shot through them to help muffle the report.......I never heard it, but reliable people said it help quite a bit with the muzzle blast. In all reality, all you may need is to distort the sound so that it doesn't sound like the classic "Gun shot" and people may not even think twice about it. It would seem like if you got smaller with your tires as you went down the row, it might create a baffle effect and trap some of the muzzle blast......Try it, and let me know how it works! Thankfully, I live where all my neighbors shoot, and it's not really an issue for me!

That should work pretty well as rubber makes a good sound barrier alone and the steel/nylon cords would add quite a bit.

Foam the inside of the tires and it would be even more efficient.

Come to think of it, open cell foam in the barrel would probably be even better than the old mattress trick I was talking about. It wasn't' even available in the era we were shooting through barrels so I never thought of it.

I have been thinking about the same thing. Closest houses are 150yds from mine. Most of the neighbors shoot occasionally (rimfire and handgun), but sometimes I will shoot 30-40 rifle rounds in an hr or so and would like to cut back on noise. With a silencer not in my near future I'm looking at cheaper options. Like Wildrose mentioned, the 55gal drum is what I'm going to try first. It will need to be mobile, so I'm going to get one of the poly ones and put it on wheels with something inside to help absorb some sound. A coworker used to shoot at a range that had 55g drums mounted at each bench and required shooting through them. Said it maid a pretty good difference.

Without going into it barrels and culverts worked extremely well for us in tactical situations particularly when we had to shoot from inside a building.

When I built my indoor shooting room facing out the back of my barn I included a 3" boxed in area on the front before the doors open to the outside. It provides a slight reduction in sound but not enough to accomplish what I think you are trying to do. A much longer tube of tires has been proven to be effective but was not practical for my needs.

When I built my indoor shooting room facing out the back of my barn I included a 3" boxed in area on the front before the doors open to the outside. It provides a slight reduction in sound but not enough to accomplish what I think you are trying to do. A much longer tube of tires has been proven to be effective but was not practical for my needs.
What did you use for sound proofing in the box and how long was it. This is the information I was looking for, along with all the other more effective solutions the good folks on here have suggested . I'd really like to know what didnt work as much as what did.
I dont want to compromise my ability to see in this design. That is why I was thinking about a 3 foot square box . Something that frames the target area, but doesn't give a clostraphobic squeezed down shooting zone. The boxes flat sides would make a good attachment point for an acoustic style material and design. To cancel out noise in the music world, a barrier with multiple depths is effective, like an egg crate shape or 4" by 4" wood blocks all cut to different lengths and attached by their ends to the sides of the box to give an uneven surface on the inside of all 4 sides of the 3 ft square box. The length of the box is a big question mark for me. I'm thinking more of a noise directional change than cancelling alot of the noise. We all know how a brake makes muzzle blast much louder to the sides . I want the majority of the noise that isn't cancelled out to go towards the target.

Have you considered several barrels end-to-end? Or a series of tires?
Both have been suggested on this thread. I'm open to the idea, but I'm still gathering information at this point. If I did tires, they would need to be for a large rim size. Something like a 22" semi tire would be as small as I'd want to mess with. Those are pricey, even worn out . Figure 8 or 10 of them and i could almost buy a suppressor for the same money. A couple 55 gallon drums would be much more cost effective, but real estate would go away fast once you insulated the interior and I'm afraid it would be smaller than I am looking for. Of the ideas that have been kicked around so far, a large culvert pipe in the 3 to 4 ft diameter range would give me room to sound proof the interior and still leave room to shoot comfortably. I just dont see the pipe being anymore effective than the box I thought about in the beginning. I did carpentry work for years, so the construction of a box and interior sound proofing would be easy enough to accomplish.
Still hoping to hear from someone that has some first hand success with the box idea.

What did you use for sound proofing in the box and how long was it. This is the information I was looking for, along with all the other more effective solutions the good folks on here have suggested . I'd really like to know what didnt work as much as what did.
I dont want to compromise my ability to see in this design. That is why I was thinking about a 3 foot square box . Something that frames the target area, but doesn't give a clostraphobic squeezed down shooting zone. The boxes flat sides would make a good attachment point for an acoustic style material and design. To cancel out noise in the music world, a barrier with multiple depths is effective, like an egg crate shape or 4" by 4" wood blocks all cut to different lengths and attached by their ends to the sides of the box to give an uneven surface on the inside of all 4 sides of the 3 ft square box. The length of the box is a big question mark for me. I'm thinking more of a noise directional change than cancelling alot of the noise. We all know how a brake makes muzzle blast much louder to the sides . I want the majority of the noise that isn't cancelled out to go towards the target.

The larger your entry and exit windows the more sound escapes.

You'd be amazed at just how well you can see things downrange with a six inch entry and 12" exit.

The nice thing about the plastic barrels is that you can always enlarge a hole if you start off small.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.