Detached suppressor ?

The only reason I recommend QD cans to my customers is because it seems like most manufacturers produce a lot more QD cans over standard threaded cans. Of course most of them still opt to wait for back orders for the conventional thread-on cans. I personally prefer thread-on myself, as 5/8"-24 works with most brands and you don't have a giant box of flash hiders that cost $75-$100 each.

The only reason I recommend QD cans to my customers is because it seems like most manufacturers produce a lot more QD cans over standard threaded cans. Of course most of them still opt to wait for back orders for the conventional thread-on cans. I personally prefer thread-on myself, as 5/8"-24 works with most brands and you don't have a giant box of flash hiders that cost $75-$100 each.
Didnt read any of the thread, did ya ?:)

I have heard of a guy that bolted a number of tires together, and then shot through them to help muffle the report.......I never heard it, but reliable people said it help quite a bit with the muzzle blast. In all reality, all you may need is to distort the sound so that it doesn't sound like the classic "Gun shot" and people may not even think twice about it. It would seem like if you got smaller with your tires as you went down the row, it might create a baffle effect and trap some of the muzzle blast......Try it, and let me know how it works! Thankfully, I live where all my neighbors shoot, and it's not really an issue for me!

When I went to Africa the range they had us confirm zero on was set up like this. It worked very well, standing 45 degrees off the muzzle it was better than many suppressors. Not overly comfortable for the shooter, lot of concussive force coming from the open end.

Just thinking out loud about a possible situation I might find myself in at some point in the foreseeable future.
Land around my area is getting sliced thinner and thinner these days when your in the market for 5 to 10 acres ie, deep, but narrow. That's a good thing for a long range , uh, range, but a long skinny property creates a possibility of making enemies of your neighbors from all the racket.
This brings up my question for the fine members of LRH. Has any of you built a sound trap for your single bench , home shooting range ? Or did I just give away a patentable way to make a million dollars , lol ?
Seriously, I'm thinking about something like a 3' x 3' open ended box , maybe 6' long, permanently mounted in front of your shooting bench. On the inside of the box I'm thinking of acoustic insulation of some kind ie. Egg crate or foam. Just something to take the edge off the sonic boom to either side of the muzzle brake to keep the neighbors friendly. I cant be the only one who has thought of this for load developement when you might shoot 20 - 30 shots a day for several days in close proximity to others that might not like all the racket.
Thoughts ?

I don't worry much about noise but I did build a portable berm out of railroad ties mounted on an old trailer frame that I can tow down to whatever range I'm shooting to help insure that I don't have any rounds going astray

I have mutiple suppressors and most are multi-caliber in the 134db or less range. I don't do any or almost any shooting or hunting without one. If I do, I wear elctronic hearing protection. Why not just spend the $ for a multi-caliber and be done with it?

Just thinking out loud about a possible situation I might find myself in at some point in the foreseeable future.
Land around my area is getting sliced thinner and thinner these days when your in the market for 5 to 10 acres ie, deep, but narrow. That's a good thing for a long range , uh, range, but a long skinny property creates a possibility of making enemies of your neighbors from all the racket.
This brings up my question for the fine members of LRH. Has any of you built a sound trap for your single bench , home shooting range ? Or did I just give away a patentable way to make a million dollars , lol ?
Seriously, I'm thinking about something like a 3' x 3' open ended box , maybe 6' long, permanently mounted in front of your shooting bench. On the inside of the box I'm thinking of acoustic insulation of some kind ie. Egg crate or foam. Just something to take the edge off the sonic boom to either side of the muzzle brake to keep the neighbors friendly. I cant be the only one who has thought of this for load developement when you might shoot 20 - 30 shots a day for several days in close proximity to others that might not like all the racket.
Thoughts ?
Great thoughts. I myself have contemplated the same. However, I live in the "not so Great State of California" I think the people in most States are way more gun friendly than they are here. That being said, If it doesn't put you out a lot of money give it a try. (ask for forgiveness not permission) Let us know how it goes.
P.S. your construction plan sounds about right.

Well, I'd say your idea has been considered before by a lot of people. I have thought of bolting tires together, including putting smaller diameter tires at both ends of the stack of truck tires. I've also thought of corrugated culvert. I'm not sure either one would have to have sound-absorbing materials inside: just a large tube to allow sound and gas to expand at the muzzle and then dissipate.

Sea2summit's comment about feeling concussive force coming out the back is something I wondered about, which is one reason I never did build one. But I'm still noodling the idea.

As for not spooking the horses, forget that. I tried shooting standard velocity target .22 rimfires out of my gun room into a berm 50 yards away. Since the muzzle of the rifle was a good 6' inside the room, and the window opening was about 2' X 2', I figured the horses wouldn't notice. (They're in a turnout area about 50 yards away.)

WRONG! They didn't spook, but they perked up their ears every time I tried a shot. My wife stopped me after 5 shots. Berm is still there, in cases the horses go away. . .

"Has any of you built a sound trap for your single bench, home shooting range?"

6 to 8 large tyres, in a long box to keep them in place (no space between them) - fill them with densely packed insulated stuff like fibreglass (nothing flameable).... pack it dense.

"On the inside of the box I'm thinking of acoustic insulation of some kind ie. Egg crate or foam."

Egg create or acoustical foam will do nothing.... they do not absorb enough energy.

"Just something to take the edge off the sonic boom to either side of the muzzle brake to keep the neighbors friendly."

You cannot do anything to suppress the sonic boom - it comes from the moving bullet and will be generated all the way down range.

I live out in the country on 20 acres and I try to respect my neighbors too. Treat others the way you want to be treated. The Golden Rule. But there are those unhappy people who are just mad that other people are breathing the same air as them. There is nothing you can do about those kinds of people. I had a friend once who was in the same situation. He had a small piece of land and his neighbors called the cops every time the target practiced. So, he started target practicing at night at about 1:00 am; every single night for a month, which was perfectly legal, but made his neighbors crazy mad. Finally, the neighbor came over to complain in person about the late night shooting and my friend simply said, "Every time the cops come out when I shoot, it just makes me want to shoot later and later at night." If the cops stop coming out, I might not feel this way anymore." Problem Solved!

There is a solution to every problem; if you are creative enough.

read this whole thing and cannot really picture what you guys are talking about. do you mean something like shooting through a row of tires or a barrel like this?
500_F_86563859_Bvm69vh38factSKIITcdH5bqZ9y4ebsg.jpg

Rick Jameson of Shooting Times did something like this that he wrote an article on. He used 2 55 gallon barrels end to end with about 12" holes cut in tops & bottoms. He used normal household fiberglass insulation inside with chicken wire rolled up on the to keep the shooting path open. A 2x4 frame was made to support the barrels at the right height. One note of caution, he learned the hard way to replace the fiberglass insulation periodically when accumulated unburned powder was ignited by the muzzle blast of a shot.

A previous employer had a noise problem with their dyno room. Solid concrete room, including the roof. Noise issued from a square hole in the roof formed there for air to enter. When the turbo test stand was running at full song we saw 120dB at the control station. Making a simple box baffle from 1" MDF and facing it with acoustical foam dropped the sound level down to 95dB.

MDF is acoustically "dead", this is why most speaker enclosures are made from it. Not because the speaker mfg is cheap. Something like a steel culvert will not be and could actually add to the problem.

Packing type egg-crate foam would be nearly useless, but actual acoustical foam is not. When you see some you'll recognize the difference. As others have said, you'll never damp or silence the sonic boom, but the muzzle blast can be damped. Make the pressure wave have to turn directions once or more in order to 'escape'.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.