Comfortable shooting magnum caliber

Looking for a magnum caliber that is still comfortable to shoot or standard caliber with good long range energy
No wild cats please and 6.5s have no grown on me yet either
Also will be shooting factory ammo to start with
I've been shooting a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm mag with 160gr +/- ammo since 1977. I have 20+ one-shot elk kills with it. I never remember the recoil when hunting. When I changed scopes a few years ago, it took ~12 shots. I'm wiser now and would use a slip on recoil pad for that many shots. I have never put a brake on it. I also have a TIkka T3 lite in .270 win, and I agree with firearm physics - rifle weight affects recoil.

Last edited:
I've been shooting a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm mag with 160gr +/- ammo since 1977. I have 20+ one-shot elk with it. I never remember the recoil. When I changed scopes a few years ago, it took ~12 shots. I'm wiser now and would use a slip on recoil pad for that many shots. I have never put a brake on it. I also have a TIkka T3 lite in .270 win, and I agree with firearm physics - rifle weight affects recoil.
Thank you for your input.im looking at 7mm mag or a 300 win mag with a break cant decide

Well, some experienced guys on here are offering some good suggestions based on "long range" (hence the page title) but Im gonna break with the big gun magnum advice. I think you'd be just fine to get a lightweight rifle in a 7mm-08 and put a scope with dialable range turrets on it--mild recoil, low muzzle blast and easy to shoot. With the 145 gr Barnes LRX leaving the pipe at 2800+ you have enough jack to put down an Elk at 500 yds. You would not be wrong with venerable old .308 win and its wide range of bullets, but the 7mm bullet has a better BC than the 308, and less recoil and MB. I know you ruled out the 6.5 but man, take a look at the 6.5 PRC. Strong medicine and still pretty mild numbers on recoil & MB. Good legs long range due to superior BC. They're still pretty manageable in a lighter rifle. I have all the above btw. I'm guessing the 26 Nosler or 6.5 Wby RPM might be a bit snappy in a lighter rifle. I got myself a Fierce Firearms CT Edge with a 22" carbon fiber barrel about two years ago in 7mm-08 and worked up a good load for it. It weighs about 6.5 Lbs with the optics, handy to carry, easy to shoot and that little 7mm-08 is just the deadliest little cartridge I've personally observed for a number of years. That little "pocket rifle" (as I call it) has a 500 yd Elk kill and 475 yd mule Deer kill on it--1 shot DRT. If your idea of long range is 750+ you might pick another cartridge...maybe shoot your buddy's 6.5 PRC and see if you change your mind:)...or you can just get yourself a big ol' honkin', heavy rifle in a big caliber and go that way, but that'll pretty much negate your light recoil, low muzzle blast and remove any option for lightweight. If you go bigger, just do it and go with 28 Nosler...or the like. Personally, after carrying my 10 lb .300 Wby Mag (old German Mk V) out of nostalgia to Africa last year, I'm really loving that 6.5 Lb. 7mm-08.
Thank you for your input I've looked at the 7mm-08 but would like one with 24inch barrel and I've hear of people killing elk with them for sure.ive also research the 6.5 cm and the prc they both look good on paper but I dont know any one that owns one or that has used one that I could get info from

Thank you for your input I've looked at the 7mm-08 but would like one with 24inch barrel and I've hear of people killing elk with them for sure.ive also research the 6.5 cm and the prc they both look good on paper but I dont know any one that owns one or that has used one that I could get info from

I have a 6.5saum, my brother has a 6.5prc we've killed deer and bear with no issues at ranges from 30 yards to 420.

Weight of rifle and having a brake, stock design, etc. are all big factors. I'd choose a target weight you are trying to achieve then pick a cartridge that will give you reasonable recoil based on those factors.

A lot of folks have mentioned 7mm, within your criteria that's a top contender. I also agree with those that mentioned a suppressor, that makes a big difference, and lastly I would take a real hard look at some of the 6.5 offerings before discounting them.

About the same as a Sendero. The barrel is unfluted, but the flutes on a Sendero are mostly cosmetic. few ounces at the most.
I have a friend that bought one in 300. We skim bedded it and added a Timney trigger. It is a half minute gun. Don't know if that is exceptional or just a little better than average. Only one I've played with. Most heavy barreled Remingtons can be made to shoot better than MOA with the above mods and handloads. Some shoot a lot better. My Sendero RUM has always shot well. Fire lapped it, added a trigger and a Macmillan stock and it shoots exceptionally well. Barbies for men, like an AR...LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.