Comfortable shooting magnum caliber

I have a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon in 7mm-mag. I don't find the recoil bothersome at all. I mainly shoot Nosler 160's with a healthy dose of H1000 behind it and produce just south of 3,100fps and it's very accurate. The bolt throw is wonderful, I love the DuraCoat stock (some folks hate it- but I love it- Have the same thing on my Browning Silver 12 autoloader) and it comes with a brake which does reduce felt recoil as compared to shooting without. I thought the price was fair at just around a grand.

This was my initial sight in with Fed factory ammo when the rifle was new-
pOp53Ko.jpg

My handloads-
Ag9Jww3.jpg

I'm quite happy with it. Handles well, shoots great and puts mulies down.

qLg5w9x.jpg

To the op. If your only shooting to 5 or 600 yards you don't need a magnum at all. A 270 or 280 or 30-06 will do what you want. So will a 7mm08 or 308. All of these standard rounds have enough energy at 600 yards to take big game.
Tons of rifles and factory loads available. My 6.5 Creed has 1446 ft pounds at 600 yards and it's not maxed out. Light recoil. I don't know why your opting out of 6.5s because there are some good ones and tons of good high bc bullets. The Creed has so much good ammo available and the 260 is great too. A magnum is definitely not a requirement to 600 yards.
Shep

I have a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon in 7mm-mag. I don't find the recoil bothersome at all. I mainly shoot Nosler 160's with a healthy dose of H1000 behind it and produce just south of 3,100fps and it's very accurate. The bolt throw is wonderful, I love the DuraCoat stock (some folks hate it- but I love it- Have the same thing on my Browning Silver 12 autoloader) and it comes with a brake which does reduce felt recoil as compared to shooting without. I thought the price was fair at just around a grand.

This was my initial sight in with Fed factory ammo when the rifle was new-
pOp53Ko.jpg

My handloads-
Ag9Jww3.jpg

I'm quite happy with it. Handles well, shoots great and puts mulies down.

qLg5w9x.jpg
Looks like. Shooter for sure I like those browning xbolts

Felt recoil can be limited in a few ways.

Add weight to the rifle [ lead or a mercury reducer in the stock ].
Fit a muzzle brake.
Add slip-on a recoil pad to the butt.
Add a shoulder recoil pad to yourself.

1.What is the most you want the rifle to weigh ?
2. Are you prepared to fit a muzzle brake ?

What is your current recoil tolerance ? What do you consider a comfortable shooter now ?

My new rifle is a 65284....felt recoil is mishandled is still light...
Had a chance to use a 360 degree break on it...maybe a third of the recoil was felt....really close to 22 Rim fire....
But ya better reload to save money on this cartridge....

7 remington Mag is a no brainer.. and no better than the weatherby Vanguard .. has some weight and in the syn stock will shoot better out of the box tha all other production rifles. and the price will be good also. and the syn stock will tame the recoil.. the only thing better is an oldder winchester push feed in the sy stock with 26" tube.. thay are very very accurate but they are few and far between.

7mm rem mag has better ballistics than any other common commercial magnum caliber out there. I believe it's the most produced/sold magnum caliber ever. It puts a 300wm to shame.

Add a $100 muzzle break or $800 suppressor and it recoils like a 243. A good muzzle break can reduce get recoil by 70% or more!

I classify magnum speed as above 3000 fps. The 7RM pushing 168s at 3100 fps was a bit too much for my comfort level for as much shooting as I wanted to do. I dropped bullet weights and went to a 6.5 to keep the speed and BC up. Much more comfortable to shoot. Of course my 338 NM with a brake is just as comfortable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.